IGNORED

A Commodore subforum on the horizon?

Probably the easiest thing to do is break it up into Commodore 8-bits and Commodore Amiga. That should cover every system ever from Commodore under those two master categories.

I think initially that a single Commodore forum would be sufficient. If it ends up with a significant amount of traffic, it can always be split into two separate forums (one for the Commodore 64/128 and one for Amiga).

..Al

While the Commodore 64 scene is very strong with various active forums, the Amiga community is strong, as well. Being a semi-active member of the latter I can say that we probably do not want to attract some of the vitriolic divisiveness that is in the Amiga community right away (sorry guys, it is true and you know it -- the division between the staunch Morphos, AmigaOS4, and AROS camps is annoying and non-productive to say the least and we do NOT need that shit here.)

That notwithstanding, I am definitely in favor of a general Commodore forum until we get more traffic. While it may or may not attract strongly active members of the Commodore 64 or Amiga communities, it may still plant a seed for some of the Commodore subsets. I am not certain how strong the VIC-20, Plus/4 and C16, 128, etc. and Commodore PC communities are. It would be interesting to see what we can attract here.

Great idea. I hang out 99% in the TI-99/4A forum, but I occasionally sneak into the Atari 8-bit and ST forums (don't tell the TI guys :grin: ).

Commodore forum? Why not!

Caught you, you harlot!!

• Like 1

the Amiga community is strong, as well. Being a semi-active member of the latter I can say that we probably do not want to attract some of the vitriolic divisiveness that is in the Amiga community right away (sorry guys, it is true and you know it -- the division between the staunch Morphos, AmigaOS4, and AROS camps is annoying and non-productive to say the least and we do NOT need that shit here.)

Ahh, I hadn't thought about that. If a Commodore/Amiga forum here on Atari Age would invite those kinds of discussions I would not be in favor of it.

I would suggest that the proposed Commodore/Amiga forum have strict ground rules limiting discussion to the hardware systems (500, 1000, 2000, etc) and OSes (AmigaDOS) developed and released by Commodore.

Edited by FifthPlayer

I would suggest that the proposed Commodore/Amiga forum have strict ground rules limiting discussion to the hardware systems (500, 1000, 2000, etc) and OSes (AmigaDOS) developed and released by Commodore.

I would not go that far, as classic systems are great (pretty much all I have,) but doing so limits development progress. I would just say the flame wars are no welcome here and end it at that. Again, though, there are several people who try to push the envelope, then you have the ones who will gripe and complain when the ban-hammer falls, and other nonsense. I do not envy the jobs of Albert and his moderators ;)

Oh, not more sub-forums! Ugh!

Too many sub-forums on this site. Please condense!

Depending on how you read the forums, this can be pretty invisible. I usually use the View New Content or Activity View pages, as opposed to directly browsing into forums. And, for View New Content, you can specify exactly what forums you want included in the results by clicking the "Filter by forum" link on the View New Content page.

If I'm not using one of those two methods to read posts, I'm usually using the search (or Advanced Search) functionality to hunt for specific topics. Topics I'm interested in following I Subscribe to, and the forum then sends me email whenever there are new responses. I also subscribe to individual Forums, so I receive emails anytime new topics are started in those forums. This saves my having to monitor those topics and forums for new posts.

I personally like having forums broken down into sub-forums, within reason. If you do want to read posts for a specific system (for instance), it's much easier to find all the Commodore 64-related posts if they are all in a Commodore 8-bit Computers forum.

..Al

I have added two new forums:

Commodore 8-bit Computers

Commodore Amiga

I spent over an hour moving relevant topics into both forums. I still have hundreds of topics to sift through for the Commodore 8-bit forum, but I've already moved quite a bit into it.

Enjoy!

..Al

Thanks for the Commodore Forums... I have a very loved SX-64..

BTW, I can't seem to connect to AtariAge with the Android Tapatalk Appplication,,, It has been like this for a couple months.. Is your Support for Mobile Readers OffLine??

MarkO

• Like 1

BTW, I can't seem to connect to AtariAge with the Android Tapatalk Appplication,,, It has been like this for a couple months.. Is your Support for Mobile Readers OffLine??

The Tapatalk plugin for the forum was pretty broken several months ago. If you tried to start a topic, the iOS app (not sure about Android) would give you an error, but the topic would actually be posted. People would then repeatedly post the same topic over and over again, thinking it wasn't working. There were other issues as well, which forced me to remove support for Tapatalk until they got their act together. I need to spend some time to try installing the latest plugin to see if it still has these issues. I also need to upgrade the forum software to the very latest version, which may also help the situation.

..Al

• Like 1

I'd really like to see a TRS-80 / Radio Shack / Tandy sub-forum. There has been a lot of renewed interest in the CoCo and there is a need for a more gaming focused forum. I know there isn't a lot of TRS-80 traffic, but I suspect it would attract interest.

Are there any active TRS-80 forums on the net?

..Al

I'd really like to see a TRS-80 / Radio Shack / Tandy sub-forum. There has been a lot of renewed interest in the CoCo and there is a need for a more gaming focused forum. I know there isn't a lot of TRS-80 traffic, but I suspect it would attract interest.

Agreed. It seems most Tandy activity is centered around arcane discussions about hardware, operating systems, and applications in obscure Yahoo groups and things like that. (Though to be fair there's a bit of gaming-related stuff going on in the MC10 group.) Not that they're all going to migrate to AtariAge, but it would be nice to have a more focused area to geek out about gaming on all the different flavors of Radio Shack computers.

Of course when second-tier systems like Radio Shack start getting their own forums, it gets to the point of where to draw the line with creating new subforums. Sooner or later someone's gonna start asking for dedicated subforums for the Exidy Sorcerer, Ohio Scientific, or Timex/Sinclair. :P

• Like 1

Are there any active TRS-80 forums on the net?

..Al

I am fairly new to the TRS-80 Color Computers. In the last couple years I got a CoCo 3 and a CoCo 2, and a couple Disk Drives and the CoCo SDC.

The major Radio-Shack CoCo Forums are on a ListServe, Coco@maltedmedia.com mailing list!

I don't know much about the TRS-80 Model I, II, III and 4 forums.

There is some Radio-Shack discussions at Vintage Computer Forum.

MarkO

The mailing list is active, but the topics are technical and often about programming. There isn't much beyond it that is active (except a new Facebook group, which seems to be doing well). With DriveWire and now the CoCoSDC it is easy to get into CoCo gaming. I also think the TRS-80 was more popular than people realize. Atariage is just so much easier to post to and search through (for me) compared to a mailing list or Facebook.