IGNORED

New console announced: NINTENDO NX

Rev

The Wii U may not be that old, but the PS4 has already sold about twice as many units in about half the time. They're afraid of being pushed into obscurity I'd say. Their next system better be something good (that is having some "killer apps" that people will want to play) and not just trying to sell it on a "gimmick". They got lucky with the Wii after the Gamecube was SMOKED by the PS2, and they're getting smoked again with the Wii U as their sales have already been doubled by Sony's PS4 and as time goes on I really don't expect see monthly sales of the Wii U surpassing monthly sales of the PS4 to help them catch up, more and more PS4s are gonna get sold and less and less Wii Us are gonna get sold... why stay on a sinking ship?

Edited by Torr

They didn't announce a new home console. They merely confirmed what didn't need confirmation, that they're still working on dedicated gaming hardware. The nature of it remains to be seen. It could be a new dedicated handheld, it could be a new console, or it could be hybrid hardware for both markets (My guess and one that I think is strongly supported by a fair bit of anecdotal evidence and logic).

I believe that they only mentioned it when they did, in order to allay fears that this mobile move signals a drastic shift in Nintendo policy away from dedicated hardware. My guess is what it will be unveiled next spring, with a release slated for that Fall.

This gives 2015 to the Wii U and New 3DS and titles like Zelda U, it will give the Wii U a semblance of a normal lifespan by keeping it going to the 4 year mark, and it will allow the interim New 3DS to at least have a few months in the sun before its quick and imminent demise as a premier hardware offering from Nintendo is confirmed.

Edited by Atariboy

They're afraid of being pushed into obscurity I'd say.

Nintendo has a long time before they fade to obscurity but they may have already become irrelevant, at least if the opinions I've recently experienced in the physical world (not the internet) are any indication.

• Sometimes people talk about how much fun the Wii was, but no one except the brand loyal cares enough about the Wii U to talk about it anymore.
  • A few years ago I saw a lot of kids with a 3DS until they were old enough for their own phone or tablet. Now those same people skip the 3DS and jump straight to the sub-$100 tablets. The hardware is cheaper than a 3DS, the apps and games are cheaper, and it can play kid videos all day.

I think it would be silly to write off Nintendo, but they've got an uphill battle to become relevant again.

• Like 1

When I collected my Toad amiibo from EB Games today I pre-ordered the Nintendo NX just for fun. I only had to put down a $10 deposit. This would have to be the earliest I have ever pre-ordered anything, and with the least amount of information available.

They got lucky with the Wii after the Gamecube was SMOKED by the PS2

I'd argue that was a pretty successful identification of a different market than the hardcore gamer than the traditional console market. I know it was fashionable among some to refer to the Wii as a "fad", but 100 million units later over many years, it kinda goes beyond that in my book. I think they earned it with first Wii. And (as a Wii U owner) I think they earned the current situation with Wii U as well. The first Wii had a killer app bundled with it (Wii Sports) and Nintendo franchises out of the gate. Wii U didn't really.

more and more PS4s are gonna get sold and less and less Wii Us are gonna get sold

Kinda. I agree that it's unlikely the Wii U will catch up, though Nintendo console sales are kinda weird where they're partially driven by Nintendo franchises. A good Nintendo game comes along, and Wii U sales rise.

Hopefully Nintendo can pull it together this time - offer something different (like the Wii did), bring some A games to launch (theirs and third party), make reasonably competitive hardware (ala GameCube and N64) and launch it well (like they did with Wii).

They didn't announce a new home console. They merely confirmed what didn't need confirmation, that they're still working on dedicated gaming hardware.
Yup, my sentiments exactly. Who didn't think Nintendo was working on this? Who doesn't think MS & Sony are working on their next systems?
  • Like 1

I get a kick out of this console gen. The Wii U is by far in third but I own like 12 retail games that I love. I own 1 retail xbox one game. The rest were from games with gold and i picked up EA access for a few months because I enjoy playing NFS and BF4 sometimes. I really like the titles I've downloaded it but my Wii U is still far and away a more fun machine for me and I've spent way more on it. I like to see news that they are still doing their thing. Not that I had much doubt.

• Like 1

At least it's not another Wii with an extension name, which made the last bit quite confusing. I like the NX as a console name though I'm sure that will change before it's officially released as alwys. Not sure what Nintendo could do to ever get me back... I owned a secondhand Gamecube and never wanted a Wii because all my friends had one already so we just played at their place.

I love the Wii U but man is it goofy. They just need something that ships with a normal controller by default.

I don't have to many games for it even though several have since come out that I wanted. More to do with migrating from consoles to computers for my gaming habits. Man oh man though, I'm a night manager at a local Wally World and Nintendo really packs 'em in for the midnight launches. Warcraft has them beat (one game vs a whole company's product lineup, hmmm maybe not a ringing endorsement). When that gold Mario Skylander or w/e hit the other day, we were having to beat them off with sticks.

Also, I had to manage the whole thing because, you know, the salaried electronics manager couldn't be bothered to stay up for it.

• Like 1

Just trying to let people know they still exist

Pretty much. If you know that your current offering is a POS there is nothing to loose by talking about what's next in line. Yes we all know Sony and Microshit are both going to make another console to succeed the PS4 and Xbox dOne but neither are talking about it cause their current offerings are doing well. The WiiU is a hunk and we all know it. I love Nintendo, always have, BUT this Wii U was a giant Fuck U to it's user base IMO. I sold my Wii U long ago and I'm still glad I did. Sony has now earned my business and it will take something really special for Nintendo to earn it back.

When I collected my Toad amiibo from EB Games today I pre-ordered the Nintendo NX just for fun. I only had to put down a $10 deposit. This would have to be the earliest I have ever pre-ordered anything, and with the least amount of information available.

LOL Is this real? I can't believe they would be actually be taking pre-orders for this right now.

It's real and has made the rounds with the media.

Not sure what the point of taking preorders now is, except to give GameStop some of your money so far in advance for their benefit, that it might not even still be in their database when the day comes that something concrete actually is announced.

Has happened before with this chain in the US and Canada with some long delayed, but never cancelled games like Mega Man Anniversary Collection for the GBA when folks finally sought a refund after a few years. Nothing was still in the system at GameStop's end, lol.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

It's real and has made the rounds with the media.

Not sure what the point of taking preorders now is, except to give GameStop some of your money so far in advance for their benefit, that it might not even still be in their database when the day comes that something concrete actually is announced.

Has happened before with this chain in the US and Canada with some long delayed, but never cancelled games like Mega Man Anniversary Collection for the GBA when folks finally sought a refund after a few years. Nothing was still in the system at GameStop's end, lol.

This happened to my cousin. He pre-ordered Warcraft III when it was initially supposed to launch. He then graduated, moved from home, joined the US Air Force and did all the other stuff in life before it actually came out. When he did buy it at launch I remembered his pre-order and asked him how that went. He had complete forgotten.

LOL Is this real? I can't believe they would be actually be taking pre-orders for this right now.

I was using a gift voucher so it didn't really cost me anything. I think as soon as there is even a rumour of anything new they start taking pre-orders.

At least it's not another Wii with an extension name, which made the last bit quite confusing. I like the NX as a console name though I'm sure that will change before it's officially released as alwys. Not sure what Nintendo could do to ever get me back... I owned a secondhand Gamecube and never wanted a Wii because all my friends had one already so we just played at their place.

The NX will be pivotal in the sense that as soon as Nintendo releases the technical specs of the console, we'll know for sure if they have finally decided to catch up with (and match) the current hardware generation. If they are still bent on lagging behind technologically just so they can market a cheaper console than the competition, like they've been doing for the last few decades, then the NX will be the final nail in Nintendo's coffin, regardless of which first-party games are announced for the console. Every third-party developer in the world will laugh at Nintendo for not learning from their past mistakes.

• Like 1

And hope it doesn't fade, like Algus said.

Seems like every time I find an old receipt around the house, it's not even legible. And definitely don't keep it in your wallet in your pocket. They seem to disappear especially quick that way thanks to your body heat.

Let's get ready for those catchy new Nintendo ad campaigns!
Probably something along the line of "NX... IT'S WHAT IS NX'T!" -OR- "THE NINTENDO NX, THE NX'T GENERATION IN GAMING!"
Or something along that line...

This current generation of consoles (which I know own all of for terrible reasons on my part) has been generally disappointing to me outside of the WiiU.
I'm neither excited nor un-excited for the next one. Like previously stated, they really only mentioned the NX to keep people from freaking out about the mobile announcement.

Edited by KeeperofLindblum
  • Like 1