IGNORED

Intellivision Fonts

BillyHW

OK, here's my comprehensive font list and sources for all things Intellivision...

For the Intellivision logo font, SF Intellivised is the one to use. You can download it here.

The Mattel Electronics font is rather unique. I haven't seen an exact match, but the closest one is called Sailer. The "N" is different, but the other characters are pretty close. Download it here.

For the words "Intelligent Television" use Helvetica Thin or Helvetica Nue Thin. There's a free version here. Set the tracking, or letter spacing, to something tight like -50 in Photoshop.

This site has an interesting dingbat font with lots of varieties of the running man that can be useful.

For cartridge labels and game titles on boxes, Mattel used Helvetica Black. There's a freebie version called QT Helvet Black that you can download here.

For the text you see on Intellivision game title screens, you want Intellec. It's available here. You can use it as is, but to match the on-screen look exactly, you need to reduce the horizontal scale of the characters to 84 percent, set the tracking to 2, and use an "N" instead of a regular space (assign it the same color as your background). You can probably tell I've spent way too much time in the past figuring this out. :) Have fun!

attachicon.gifmattel splashscreen.png

I'm amazed that angelfire still exists. Talk about a blast from the past. Not too many sites from back then are still running.

I washed a couple of the TrueTypes through Inty Letterpress to see what they might look like on a real Intellivision. Wow, anti-aliasing really matters. :)

imagicpresents.jpg

Darn, after all that, I still forgot a couple fonts. Here's an updated package. Again, the main fonts are in the top directory and alternates or less important fonts are in subfolders just for the sake of completeness.

I washed a couple of the TrueTypes through Inty Letterpress to see what they might look like on a real Intellivision. Wow, anti-aliasing really matters. :)

imagicpresents.jpg

A good CRT does the anit-aliasing for you :P

For Intellivision-sized pixels, it'd need to be a 5" screen smeared in Vaseline to antialias that...

• Like 3

As a pixel artist and a lover of old school blocky goodness i must be the only person who doesnt think its that horrid.

I think it's awesome, but oldschool blocky goodness was naturally softened somewhat by CRT displays. When you're seeing them in HD clarity on a huge screen, it just looks messed up. But still awesome.

Sometimes I realize that on the same screen, one pixel is as big as a fully-developed high-res sprite with a coupla dozen colours. And am awed.

I think it's awesome, but oldschool blocky goodness was naturally softened somewhat by CRT displays. When you're seeing them in HD clarity on a huge screen, it just looks messed up. But still awesome.

Sometimes I realize that on the same screen, one pixel is as big as a fully-developed high-res sprite with a coupla dozen colours. And am awed.

if i could go back in time i would live all of the seventies and play all the blocky goodness i can. Love the old school gaming. Too bad i cant get anyone to play odyssey 3000 or tennis for two (which is played on an oscilloscope :)) with me.... :( Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

thanks folks for the effort, i really can make use of them

hmm... site has moved(?) - link was broken.

here's the new (or proper) link

http://intellivisionbrasil.com.br/docs/diversos/Temas_Fontes.zip

@ intellivision brasil

hi

i noticed that you present at least two of my "virtual box arts" on your site.

no problem for me, but since both games have never been physically released there won't be no real box for them.

i guess it would be nice if you state that these are inofficial box arts, or perhaps remove them, while of course it honors me to see them (big grin when i see istar).

this would be box art for

- IStar

- Tetris

i know i'm mean ;)

post-41280-0-53225300-1515892943.gif

you can look at that shit a hundred times and you won't see the error until you posted it (damned shit).

i have even two or three fonts to add.

i was looking for the "AD&D" (TSR Hobbies) font.

i didn't found a exact match to this font, but some similar looking ones which make a good match for D&D style games.

"Pointedly Mad" is quite close to AD&D but it isn't outlined

pointedly_mad.zip

"Quentin Caps" (this one might be popular) is outlined but matches not as good to Intellivisions AD&D

quentincaps.zip

if you search for "AD&D font" you get a couple of results but none is matching exactly, some might fit to other releases of AD&D (board or arcade).

"Nauert" is such a font

nauert.zip

"Pointedly Mad" will look like this on a box

post-41280-0-11113600-1515894807.gif

and yes, the IntyBASIC games will have a unified look.

-----

sometimes i'm "to fast", just made a box art and discovered later that the "game" (demo) isn't really playable.

that's somehow sad, i like "Fire Girl", even when it's just a developers demo it's a game idea which should be picked up and completed.

these slow approaching zombies are cool, it leaks of certain things like if you leave the screen and fire you loose your "firepower".

sometimes (very often) the demo crashes in multiple ways (don't act nervous, it seems the demo didn't likes to many inputs at once).

but sometimes it's possible to play quite long, only points and a real goal are missing, i guess you should die if all zombies occupied "tombstones" (i expect these are).

great would be when a zombie reaches a grave it should transform to a harder to beat monster or gain invulnerability.

it wouldn't need much, just points and approach after a given number of zombies to the next faster level (same scenery) and add bonuses for the remaining tombstones.

however i tried the demo, thought it was cool and made a absolutely useless box art for which i kept in mind that i will use the zombie a second time for "Zombie Marbles".

thus we have now a box for a "unplayable" demo.

post-41280-0-75237000-1515895975.gif

showing a widely spread font "Cooper".

Edited by Gernot
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Another font that's used quite a bit in Intellivision packaging is the one used on Super Pro games and consoles. The one I found to be the best match is a freebie called SuperstarDEE. You can find it on several websites; here's one link.

If you just need it in B&W, you're all set. But if you're going to use it in two colors, that's where the fun starts. You have to set the type twice, once in each color, and then remove the border on one of them. With a little patience, here's what you end up with.

post-39531-0-76486400-1522430738.jpg

superstardee.ttf.zip

• Like 3

Thank you for posting all this. Even though it's an old thread, it's great info and very helpful to those of us that do graphics.

A while back I had made a cool Retro-pie startup screen if you're interested. I used PS to make it look as CRT as possible. Just a little thank you gift for the info. This is the Intellect font.

And anyone else that wants to use it go right ahead....

Mattel Intellivision

https://i.imgur.com/BIwj3nD.jpg

Sears SVA

https://i.imgur.com/aYVJHmy.jpg

Edited by IMBerzerk