IGNORED

Stella 4.6 released

stephena

I also want Stella to move away from SourceForge. I don't like their philosophy and that they hijacked GIMP and NOTEPAD++ and package spyware with it.

Wow, SourceForge has generally been considered a trusted download site for not doing that; found a disturbing description of SourceForge going viral here:

http://blog.gluster.org/2013/08/how-far-the-once-mighty-sourceforge-has-fallen/

It looks like the top projects get a cut for delivering spyware to users systems.

I have my own hosting servers but if I were using SourceForge I would remove all projects.

I made a couple of changes to Stella for improved jitter emulation and need some play testers to make sure it works as expected.

• jitter now occurs when the scanline count is not consistent between frames
  • correction to DPC+ emulation so it will jitter when DFxFRACINC is not re-initialized.

Both issues can be seen in the 0.5 build of Doom Patrol - scanline count jitter impacts the entire screen (visible when the score line jumps up/down) while DPC+ jitter only impacts the playfield. Turbo-Torch posted a reply with a video which shows off these jitter problems.

I posted a Mac build in my blog. I've also posted the three changed source files, so it'd be great if somebody who's set up to build Linux and/or Windows could post builds for those platforms.

Anybody aware of other games besides Doom Patrol that exhibited the DPC+ jitter issue at some time during their development? That way we can check those as well.

Once these changes have been tested out I'll submit them to stephena so they can be included in the next release.

I tested the new 0.5.5 build of Doom Patrol where winkdot added the commands to reinitialize DFxFRACINC. That fixed the DPC+ jitter problem, the scanline count problem still remains. I tested on my Atari and my build of Stella, both worked as expected.

I'd still like to test more examples of the DFxFRACINC problem.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...