IGNORED

UberGROM not working

ti99user

Hello,

I ordered a UberGROM without ATMEL chip and programmed it myself (V101):

avrdude -P \\.\com5 -c stk500v2 -p m1284p -U flash:w:ubergrom.hex -U eeprom:w:ubergrom.eep

Programming Flash/EEPROM worked well without any problems.

Putting it into the TI99 without additional flash (with F18A): Nothing happens.

Putting it into when powered on: RESET works well, but still no Uber GROM

Tried it also putting the external flash in without success.

Jumper settings are default jumper settings.

Any ideas?

Are the boards from arcade shopper tested?

Thank you.

TI99User

I test each board before sending them to Arcadeshopper. Another thing you can do to test board function is to use the attached test program burned to a 512K flash chip--and without an Atmel in the board. I have had best results using the Yamaichi clamshell-style "live bug" sockets for my EPROM burner, with others YMMV, based on what I've seen over the last couple of years of testing these.

It tests the entire range of the 378 and shows you that each bank is functional by printing the Hex address for the bank, followed by OK. The starting bank will be identified by an asterisk in the space between the bank number and the OK (there will only be one bank so identified).

banktest512_8.bin

I had trouble using virtual com ports with my homemade programmer, even with FTDI chipset, but no probs with

a genuine com port on my old win98 pc.

Not sure whether a stk500 works ok or not with virtual com port, it might.

You can get a gui for avrdude, I used Avrdudess. Only problem was it didn't like win98, but

I could copy and paste the string I created and it worked well in command line mode Avrdude.

I had trouble using virtual com ports with my homemade programmer, even with FTDI chipset, but no probs with

a genuine com port on my old win98 pc.

Not sure whether a stk500 works ok or not with virtual com port, it might.

You can get a gui for avrdude, I used Avrdudess. Only problem was it didn't like win98, but

I could copy and paste the string I created and it worked well in command line mode Avrdude.

Ok, GUI looks good.

Will try it next weekend.

Thank you.

TI99User

Make sure you are using the correct fuse settings. See below. It's the #1 reason why programming fails.

Great, so command line looks like:

avrdude -P \\.\com5 -c stk500v2 -p m1284p -U flash:w:ubergrom.hex -U eeprom:w:ubergrom.eep -U lfuse:w:0xC2:m -U hfuse:w:0xD8:m -U efuse:w:0xFC:m -U lock:w:0xFF:m

BTW: GUI looks different than Avrdudess. Which program do you use

Thank you.

TI99User

I test each board before sending them to Arcadeshopper. Another thing you can do to test board function is to use the attached test program burned to a 512K flash chip--and without an Atmel in the board. I have had best results using the Yamaichi clamshell-style "live bug" sockets for my EPROM burner, with others YMMV, based on what I've seen over the last couple of years of testing these.

It tests the entire range of the 378 and shows you that each bank is functional by printing the Hex address for the bank, followed by OK. The starting bank will be identified by an asterisk in the space between the bank number and the OK (there will only be one bank so identified).

So you are using?: http://www.mouser.at/new/yamaichi/yamaichiburnin/

Which EPROM Burner?

Thank you.

TI99User

The center one on your group of three on the larger bit of pink foam will work, Schmitzi, however, the folks who've used those in the past have had significant problems with pin connectivity after programming a few chips in them. That was why I suggested the (significantly) more expensive clamshell type that I linked to above. I've programmed more than 100 chips with it and have never had a problem getting one to program correctly. I also have an 8-port gang programming adapter for my Advin that uses the same type of clamshells for 32-pin PLCC chips--it works great too, especially if I need to program a lot of identical chips (I have a similar 8-port gang programming adapter for 32-pin DIP chips too). My programmer is designed for use in an industrial environment for low-volume production, but it does require a standard parallel port, so it isn't useful for everyone. It also doesn't do the Atmels--I have a different programmer that I got from the Ukraine for that.

• Like 1

Hi Kasrul, do you think that I have that adapter/socket-type yet in my set ? Maybe you can identify it in my pic.

(I can make more detailed pics if needed)

Big foam block, middle adaptor. It's a PLCC32 adaptor. My Mini Pro came with similar adaptors to yours but also included an extractor, which works fine. Just don't be too rough with it or you'll risk breaking the PLCC socket.

Ksarul's adaptor is a flip-top one. No need for tools to retrieve the programmed chip but it's more expensive. If you intend to handle as many chips as Ksarul does, a locking adaptor might be worthwhile but for occasional programming/re-programming, you'll probably get along fine with what you have.

Edit: Posted seconds after Ksarul. Apologies for any duplication.

Edited by UKRetrogamer

I use PG4UW to program mine. (844USB programmer; Elnec/BK Precision).

At least on my side, this is how it goes:

EEPROM:

• 512K EEPROM goes to the 49F040 EEPROM (or equivelent)
  • Use the clamshell closing programmer that Ksarul mentioned. I'm about to buy one. The other ones wind up getting pins bent or fail after several uses.
1284P:
  • 1284P Flash array is located in buffer from 0H to 1FFFFH. (This is the main 128K of typically GROM data)
  • 1284P EEPROM array is located in buffer from 20000H to 20FFFH. (This is the other 4K and has the boot data, Tursi's code in it, etc.)
  • I then set the fuse bits to what I mentioned earlier. This is what the folks using the eBay $35 programmers are also using.
  • Please heed Tursi's warning about NOT turning on the external oscillator. Otherwise, you have a $12 brick unless you know how to use external components to reconfigure your 1284P and program it again. Note that if you use the fuse values we posted above, you will be OK. (If I could make this bullet point blink like old ANSI BBS graphics, I would.)
  • I then program the unit
  • You should see it show up on the TI menu

Failure to see a menu item is typically because the 1284P hasn't been programmed correctly.

When in doubt, program a 512K ROM only cart image that is known to work (Games 1, 2, 3, etc), and try it and it should work fine if using the proper programming adapter that makes solid contact with the 49F040 (or equivelent).

• Like 1

I use PG4UW to program mine. (844USB programmer; Elnec/BK Precision).

At least on my side, this is how it goes:

EEPROM:

• 512K EEPROM goes to the 49F040 EEPROM (or equivelent)
  • Use the clamshell closing programmer that Ksarul mentioned. I'm about to buy one. The other ones wind up getting pins bent or fail after several uses.
1284P:
  • 1284P Flash array is located in buffer from 0H to 1FFFFH. (This is the main 128K of typically GROM data)
  • 1284P EEPROM array is located in buffer from 20000H to 20FFFH. (This is the other 4K and has the boot data, Tursi's code in it, etc.)
  • I then set the fuse bits to what I mentioned earlier. This is what the folks using the eBay $35 programmers are also using.
  • Please heed Tursi's warning about NOT turning on the external oscillator. Otherwise, you have a $12 brick unless you know how to use external components to reconfigure your 1284P and program it again. Note that if you use the fuse values we posted above, you will be OK. (If I could make this bullet point blink like old ANSI BBS graphics, I would.)
  • I then program the unit
  • You should see it show up on the TI menu

Failure to see a menu item is typically because the 1284P hasn't been programmed correctly.

When in doubt, program a 512K ROM only cart image that is known to work (Games 1, 2, 3, etc), and try it and it should work fine if using the proper programming adapter that makes solid contact with the 49F040 (or equivelent).

at least with the programmer I use, you can drop in the 1284p with half the pins in the zif and unlock the fuses http://atariage.com/forums/topic/193163-512k-cartridge-status/page-18?do=findComment&comment=3035896

for details

1284P Flash array is located in buffer from 0H to 1FFFFH. (This is the main 128K of typically GROM data)

The AVR code lives in the top 8k of the flash array, and that area should be set for bootloader and locked against SPM (that's what the fuses are supposed to do, I don't know if you guys are setting the lock bits though).

The EEPROM can not run code. In fact I recommend that a new AVR simply erase the EEPROM and let the UberGROM code set it up. All that's in there is the first 256 bytes are reserved for configuration and banking selection. If the code starts up and finds it erased, it simply sets default values.

Obviously if you are programming someone else's image, then yes, you need the EEPROM settings too.

Please heed Tursi's warning about NOT turning on the external oscillator. Otherwise, you have a $12 brick unless you know how to use external components to reconfigure your 1284P and program it again.

If we're going to call it my warning, can we also use my level of urgency and mention my very simple and easy solution, rather than scaring people about bricking it? Seriously, I've gotten private emails over this, and I've /never/ said it was a difficult thing to undo.

Get one of these: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MXO45HS-3C-8M0000/CTX743-ND/1801858

It is a standalone oscillator package. This one is 8MHz, which matches the speed of the internal clock. Anything from 1MHz to 16MHz is in spec for this chip, just make sure it's 5V.

Even though it only has 4 pins, because of it's size and package, it numbers them 1,4,5,8. Ignore the stupidity and just push on.

post-12959-0-20111600-1427247091_thumb.jpg

Attach wires to pins 4, 5, and 8. 1 is not connected. 4 connects to ground. 8 connects to +5v. and 5 connects to pin XTAL1 on the AVR (pin 13). Power it up and the chip will be running again, and you can reprogram the fuses for internal clock. There's only 3 wires, you can make a little harness to clip them on, or solder them, or whatever you like. It doesn't have to be perfect, during development of the PS/2 adapter I was running a 20MHz clock to the AVR just dangling on clips attached to six inch wires, and it was fine. Anyone brave enough to go through this roundabout means of programming the AVR is certainly skilled enough to manage this.

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 3

OK, programmed now with my posted command line. I'm getting further, but still I guess an issue:

1.) GROM TEST menu is displayed as cartridge (2) => fine

2.) Pressing 2

3.) Displayed: >>-- CART CONV BY TURSI --<<

4.) Nothing happens for at least 10 min

What should happen, is this normal?

BTW: avrdude-5.11 worked well but avrdude-6.1-mingw32 crashed. Anyone else having same issue?

Sounds like it's crashing trying to load the GROM test program. (Nothing on the TI should take more than a few seconds to load from cartridge).

Also, do you have a 32k card attached? That test program requires 32k. It's a one-time run functional test that wipes itself out after the run. It seems most likely you didn't have that present.

You'll need 32k to run the configurator as well... but it sounds like you successfully loaded the AVR.

Sounds like it's crashing trying to load the GROM test program. (Nothing on the TI should take more than a few seconds to load from cartridge).

Also, do you have a 32k card attached? That test program requires 32k. It's a one-time run functional test that wipes itself out after the run. It seems most likely you didn't have that present.

You'll need 32k to run the configurator as well... but it sounds like you successfully loaded the AVR.

No, I didn't have a 32k attached. Worked with nanoPEB now, all tests passed :-)

What's a recommended "package" to load into the AVR and flash?

No, I didn't have a 32k attached. Worked with nanoPEB now, all tests passed :-)

What's a recommended "package" to load into the AVR and flash?

Aren't you the lucky one. :) Just released Today: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229718-extended-basic-v27-suite-cartridge/page-10?do=findComment&comment=3207608

You could also try this: 3 XBs.zip

TI Extended Basic, Extended Basic v2.7, and RXB 2015 all in one cart. :)

Gazoo

• Like 2

Aren't you the lucky one. icon_smile.gif Just released Today: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229718-extended-basic-v27-suite-cartridge/page-10?do=findComment&comment=3207608

You could also try this: attachicon.gif3 XBs.zip

TI Extended Basic, Extended Basic v2.7, and RXB 2015 all in one cart. icon_smile.gif

Gazoo

Ok, tried it with the following configuration:

1.) NanoPEB (2 different)

2.) F18A, V1.5 Firmware

3.) Programmed only the 128k Flash into the ATMEGA, the EEPROM into the ATMEGEA and the fuses with the command line stated above (so no 512k file programmed into external flash)

But only some modules work.

With one nanoPEB XB2.7 only blue screen, with second wild characters.

Any ideas?

Must the external flash also be programmed (I guess)?

What's the recommended way for programming all 3 files (especially the external flash without an external flash programmer)?

Thnx.

Ok, tried it with the following configuration:

1.) NanoPEB (2 different)

2.) F18A, V1.5 Firmware

3.) Programmed only the 128k Flash into the ATMEGA, the EEPROM into the ATMEGEA and the fuses with the command line stated above (so no 512k file programmed into external flash)

But only some modules work.

With one nanoPEB XB2.7 only blue screen, with second wild characters.

Any ideas?

Must the external flash also be programmed (I guess)?

What's the recommended way for programming all 3 files (especially the external flash without an external flash programmer)?

Thnx.

None of them work without the 512k Eprom present, it's the 64 8k Rom banks at c>6000. It sounded as if you had a programmer for them.

If all you can do is program the Grom side of things, use GROMCFG to load some Grom-only cartridges.

Gazoo

None of them work without the 512k Eprom present, it's the 64 8k Rom banks at c>6000. It sounded as if you had a programmer for them.

If all you can do is program the Grom side of things, use GROMCFG to load some Grom-only cartridges.

Gazoo

Yes, I have which should support the flash. But it is parallel interface only. Have to look for an old PC.

So alternative programming of the external flash via TI99 would be fine.