IGNORED

nanoPEB, new version F18 V1, what about it

Dexter

Last week I received my nanoDEB, and installed it this weekend. First of all, It’s a fantastic device! There’s even a bonus I wasn’t aware of: with the HDX software I can transfer files in V9T9 format, and share them with the real TI-99/4A and Classic99. Old stuff for you, but to me it was a nice surprise. :)

My nanoDEB is probably a new version, because I have a different welcome screen than expected. The welcome screen says: ”NANOPEB-F18 V1”. What does it imply? No doubt something with the F18A...

The F18 is a notice that it is the version compatible with an F18A. Some of the earlier revisions had issues when trying to use both devices together, as the NanoPEB expected the boot process to be done and all devices stable sooner than the F18A could stabilize.

OK, then this version isn’t THAT new after all. Oh yeah, the F18A needs a few hundred milliseconds to initialize.

I have a few more questions, and ask them one by one.

When I first turn on the nanoPEB, and then the TI, like recommended in its manual, sometimes the TI doesn’t initialize properly, it doesn’t show the startup screen. By using a Power Distribution Unit with On / Off switch, startup always works correctly.

Why is a separate power supply even needed? I can’t imagine that the nanoPEB does use THAT much power, that it drains too much from the console.

I can't speak to the nanoPEB, but on my oooooold CF7, it did require a 5v center-pin-positive adapter. Looking at the side port pinouts, it appears that Pin#1 (VCC) provides 5v power.

Perhaps the CF7 and nanoPEB require the 5v for stability when accessing the 32k RAM or when accessing the SD card.

I tried a quick Google search and couldn't come up with anything definitive. Others more versed in hardware will probably provide better answers.

Edited by Opry99er

Yeah, stability could be an issue. Although the provided +5V at the expansion port should be clean, it could become an issue when there is too much power drained from it. Especially when the speech synthesizer also is connected.

edit:

In the TI-99/4A CONSOLE TECHNICAL DATA handbook I could find the answer.

post-41771-0-31676100-1427186063_thumb.jpg

This indicates that the provided 5V is just for the speech synthesizer, and not for further uses. It may not exceed 50mA.

/edit

Edited by Dexter

A nice upgrade to the nano peb would be to include sockets to accommodate the speech synth chips. Even if it made the board slightly bigger.

If someone was starting over from scratch, what you mention would be nice, but a variation on the Nano-PEB might be cool too. I can envision a new PCB like the Nano, but one that fits inside a single 5.25" external disk bay. Besides having a true FDC that could run 5,25's, 3.5's" or an HxC, it would have a FULLY COMPATIBLE RS-232. Too many guy's using Nano's are burnt when it comes to using programs like Telco.

While this new design could also have 32K on-board, Tursi's 32K in-console design is certainly an option as well. The beauty of Tursi's design is a newbie could start off with just a memory expanded TI and a couple of Gazoo carts, later if they wanted to go the TI-PEB route, they would not need to buy another 32K card, that would also enable them to retain an extra slot for future expansion.