IGNORED

Ultimate 1mb Intructions Headache

Here's where the pickup points are for the signals. I've got an annotated photo here somewhere which ID's the signals but I can't find it quickly. But you can see that you can easily install without needing to solder directly to any of the IC's.

attachicon.gifU1MB_800XL.jpg

(Ignore the yellow and black wires at the top - those are for one of Bryan's neat little UAV video boards I also have in the same system).

By using your photo and another I found, I now have it up and running! Thank you for your replies and help! Now to figure out what I can do with it :) I bought the Side2 cart to go with it, so this should be a lot of fun. Do you know if anyone has uploaded a zip to easily load the CF card with files?

Edited by Serpentor
  • Like 2

I use solder on the crimp connector, but mainly because I'm using the wrong crimp tool and it's the most secure way I find of keeping the wire attached to the connector while crimping. I don't lose sleep worrying about poor connectivity, however, since solder seems to conduct current in places other than crimp connectors quite reliably. I should probably shell out for the proper tool, however, even though they occasionally command silly prices. :)

• Like 2

But there is step-by-step instruction on Lotharek's page:

Those instructions are hardly user friendly considering not everyone is an electronics expert. It doesn't take a lot of effort to put together a comprehensive guide with possible installation gotchas for the inexperienced. I noticed proper documentation usually lacks with the majority of upgrades sold through the forum. There are of course exceptions and those upgrades with complete documentation are awesome.

Edited by gargoyle
  • Like 1

Those instructions are hardly user friendly considering not everyone is an electronics expert. It doesn't take a lot of effort to put together a comprehensive guide with possible installation gotchas for the inexperienced. I noticed proper documentation usually lacks with the majority of upgrades sold through the forum. There are of course exceptions and those upgrades with complete documentation are awesome.

Well hey, let's face reality: most of the stuff sold by Forum members or in relatively common use among the members such as the stuff sold by Lotharek are hobbyist items - they are not for general consumer use unless you are comfortably installing them and working through issues with a bit of effort. You have to make a certain level of investment to install a U1MB at all - a soldering iron, soldering supplies, connectors for the wires to be soldered, etc. So yeah, you're gonna have to work a bit for it. That's just the nature of hobbyist items more complicated than a multi-cart or standalone plug-in module like a parallel bus RAM module.

Having said that, this Forum is basically *THE* Atari destination on the web. If you want to install or troubleshoot something like the U1MB or nearly anything else you can find for an Atari computer or game console, someone here will be able to help you.

• Like 1

Be a hobbyist :) Projects like the U1MB and even Bryan's video update requires lots of digging for specific examples for your machine type.

Best thing to do is document your experience and post the results here so the next guy has an easier time!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Doh! So I go to have a look at doing this and realise that neither my MMU or OS ROM are socketed. Looks like I'll need to order some sockets then.

Can someone confirm if the 20 Pin Narrow and 28 Pin Wide options on this eBay listing are what I need please.

Edited by Ely

Can someone confirm if the 20 Pin Narrow and 28 Pin Wide options on this eBay listing are what I need please.

Yes, but you'd be better off installing these for durability:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2721642286171?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=272164228617&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3115318355161?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=311531835516&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Randomly selected examples, of course.