IGNORED

LOST CAT

graywest

I started working on an instruction manual. It isn't finished yet, but it gives you a basic idea of what all the items do.

Cool...I love the first 4 steps!!!!!

Question, since you designed the game............ if I'm at full health and I come accross the "Medical Emergency Kit" should I pick it up? or is it better to leave in the room for later use????

• Like 1

I really enjoy the sound and the visuals. I will say that I find myself using the same strategies over and over.

Search for stuff, avoid monsters when I'm weak. Attack when I'm strong.

The turret I sneak up on until i'm next to him in a spot where he can't hit me.

The blob, still has the cheese fort issue. I can hang out in a door way and he can't touch me.

The C.H.U.D. (i love the name by the way.) He seems to be the smartest monster. So I avoid him.

I find if I use those strategies, I can win almost every time. I do wind up cursing the cat when he runs away.

In all honesty the game lacks surprises on easy. I enjoy it more on hard.

I do want to ask you about your tune in the beginning. Is your data in a separate bank than your loop?

Edited by Mountain King
  • Like 2

Cool...I love the first 4 steps!!!!!

Question, since you designed the game............ if I'm at full health and I come accross the "Medical Emergency Kit" should I pick it up? or is it better to leave in the room for later use????

Thanks! I usually leave the med kit if I'm at full health. You don't get any points for it, so it won't do any good anyway. If you get injured by a monster in the next room, you can always come back and pick it up then. Just keep in mind that the game only saves the item information from the LAST room that you left. For example, if you go east once and then west once, the room will be the same as you left it. However, if you go east twice, and then west twice, the room will be different.

I really enjoy the sound and the visuals. I will say that I find myself using the same strategies over and over.

Search for stuff, avoid monsters when I'm weak. Attack when I'm strong.

The turret I sneak up on until i'm next to him in a spot where he can't hit me.

The blob, still has the cheese fort issue. I can hang out in a door way and he can't touch me.

The C.H.U.D. (i love the name by the way.) He seems to be the smartest monster. So I avoid him.

I find if I use those strategies, I can win almost every time. I do wind up cursing the cat when he runs away.

In all honesty the game lacks surprises on easy. I enjoy it more on hard.

I do want to ask you about your tune in the beginning. Is your data in a separate bank than your loop?

I agree - the AI and monster patterns need some tweaking. I haven't done any programming on the game in a few days, but I'm hoping to get around to it this week. I think I have a plan to fix the turret's "blind spots" and the blob's movement issues.

I can't take credit for the C.H.U.D. name - it's a cheesy movie from the eighties, but I think it fits. :-) I am having fun writing the manual.

As far as the tune goes, the data and the loop are in the same bank. Actually, they're not part of the main loop, but the title screen with the music and data are in a secondary loop with a separate drawscreen command.

I agree - the AI and monster patterns need some tweaking. I haven't done any programming on the game in a few days, but I'm hoping to get around to it this week. I think I have a plan to fix the turret's "blind spots" and the blob's movement issues.

I can't take credit for the C.H.U.D. name - it's a cheesy movie from the eighties, but I think it fits. :-) I am having fun writing the manual.

As far as the tune goes, the data and the loop are in the same bank. Actually, they're not part of the main loop, but the title screen with the music and data are in a secondary loop with a separate drawscreen command.

I figured the music out last night. I had to put my music in a separate bank and it was stumping me. I finally looked at the code for Princess Rescue and that helped.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a new version - I tweaked the difficulty some more. Now the enemies have different amounts of hit points - the turret has 5, the slime has 4 and the C.H.U.D. has 3. Makes the difficulty a little more even, in my opinion.

I also added some new fixed room positions for items. Enemies and traps may now appear in places that you are not used to, so watch out!

I did verify that it is indeed possible to save the cat with both difficulty switches in the 'A' position. My personal high score on "expert" mode is 24900 for one play-through (I stopped after I saved the cat once.) I think my high score is somewhere in the 40k range on "novice" mode for continuous play.

I think this game is getting pretty close to being done - let me know if you find any other bugs or have suggestions. Thanks!!

LostCat V11.bin

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Heya Jared! We'll be featuring Lost Cat LIVE on today's ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 2PM PT/5PM ET! Who doesn't love a game that involves rescuing a cat, can't wait to play it. :-)
Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Other Games Today:

- Kuru Kuru Tsuchinoko (WIP) by mojofltr
- Simple Horizontal Shooter (WIP) by Random Terrain
- Castle of Doom (WIP) by Chris Read

Edited by cimmerian
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

ZeroPage Homebrew will be attempting to complete Lost Cat again on tomorrow's (Tue Oct 27) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, r_chase said:

Yo, what's up? I was gonna ask about any sort of update being worked. I mean, v11 looks polished enough, but I also wonder about a physical release as well. I love this game btw.

Thanks!! I'm always glad to hear people are enjoying my games. Honestly, I haven't worked on this one in about forever. I never had any big gameplay improvements in mind - there are still a few minor bugs that bother me (ie. the screen rolls occasionally between rooms) but it's pretty much finished in its current state. No plans for a physical release, but I give permission for you (or anyone else who wants to) to make a cart for personal use. I think Albert will still make carts from .bin files in the AtariAge store. It doesn't require any special additions - a standard 16kb bankswitched cart should work fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, graywest said:

Thanks!! I'm always glad to hear people are enjoying my games. Honestly, I haven't worked on this one in about forever. I never had any big gameplay improvements in mind - there are still a few minor bugs that bother me (ie. the screen rolls occasionally between rooms) but it's pretty much finished in its current state. No plans for a physical release, but I give permission for you (or anyone else who wants to) to make a cart for personal use. I think Albert will still make carts from .bin files in the AtariAge store. It doesn't require any special additions - a standard 16kb bankswitched cart should work fine.

Alright, thanks. I might think about it once I get a more steady income.