IGNORED

ROM only cartridge headers

So, I was studying up on the TI's menu-building routine in the console ROM and noticed that the routine that builds the programs list from the >6000 cartridge ROM space isn't present in the v2.2 firmware. Thierry's site explains this as TI's attempt to lock out unauthorized vendors from manufacturing ROM-only carts, presumably so they could control the market with their proprietary GROM devices.

My question is, how do you guys go about creating the header files for your cart ROM images? Do you bother with this edge-case scenario where the TI doesn't include them in the menu? What's considered best practice here? Should there be a small "bootloader" program in GROM who's only purpose is to supply the menu building routine with a program name, and then immediately jump to an assembly program in the >6000 space?

Parker Brothers used the GROM loader idea for their cartridges, which is why when you run one you get the generic "PARKER BROS GAME" menu selection. Personally, as I create more cartridges I just do not care about the v2.2 consoles.

Just use the ROM header. Unless you've got an Ubergrom cartridge, you can't use a Grom header. And if you've got an Ubergrom cartridge, why waste all that space just to make a Rom cart work? People with v2.2 consoles are just collectors that think they're cool to have such a beast. Real TI'ers take the Groms out of dead non-v2.2 consoles and use them to 'fix' v2.2 consoles so they work correctly. :)

Gazoo

• Like 4

Alright, I'll just ignore GROM headers for now. I was asking because it'd be no trouble for me to emulate a GROM device with a CPLD, but if it's not even needed, I'll just stick with ROM headers.

Thanks for the input. Wasn't sure what the consensus was with the v2.2 consoles, but sounds like folks will go out of their way to remove the offending ROM's from their TI's. Sounds good to me!