IGNORED

What is your favorite Activision game...

Army Of 2600

Frostbite is #1 for me.

From that era, Activision is one of those rare publishers where it's easier and quicker for me to list the games that I don't like than it is for me to list the ones that I do, because there are so few of the former. While I've never cared much for their little glut of "timed obstacle course" games or their 2600Jr.-era attempts at cash-cow arcade ports that had no business being on the system, that stream of early-80s VCS titles from the original Activision crew is, to me, absolutely legendary. No other publisher of the day came close, in terms of sheer quality and consistency of the output.

Since they were largely designing original games from the ground up, they were able to align their ideas with the constraints of the meager hardware, thereby making the most of what it had to offer. In the traditional sense, when one speaks of "porting" games, the vast majority of the time they're talking about translating a game from its native platform to something lesser, or at best equal. It's interesting that many Activision games designed in and around the 2600 were later "upward ported" to more powerful systems and computers. I know Sega picked up Pitfall II and brought it to the arcade--which is almost unheard of, aside from maybe Warlords--but I wish somebody would have picked up Frostbite. I think that would have been awesome in an arcade cabinet.

Edited by Cynicaster
  • Like 3

Although I love HERO and Pitfall and Pitfall 2, my #1 pick would be Enduro. Most of the Activision games are still favorites of mine, so this is probably followed by River Raid, Stampede, Keystone Kapers, Megamania, and Frost Bite. Oh yeah, I really enjoy Dolphin too, for short burts. And Robot Tank. The other games like the sports titles or the later ones all fall into a category of 'interesting to play them every now & then, but aren't favorites'.

Enduro is a great 2600-era racer, the best of all I've played. I like it more than any of Atari's Pole Position versions (2600/5200/7800). That original review that appeared in a gaming mag, which was rushed to get into print before the holidays - it was correct about Enduro being heads-n-tails the best your money could buy back then. The changing day and weather grabs our attention from the start, but after you get used to that, then comes the changes in lanes and patterns, and knowing exactly how many cars you need to pass before the fog goes away and the beeping starts! I just played it the other day and got pretty far (for me). About day 7 it really starts to get challenging.

post-37-0-65726200-1427393131_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I don't think I could pick just one.

Agreed. Kaboom!, Keystone Kapers, and Megamania are all up there, with Seaquest, River Raid and Enduro VERY close behind on my list.

Most hours played and enjoyed? Probably Megamania. Like someone said upthread, it's an easy way to lose half an hour.

If I could only ever play one of those six titles again? Well, after 25 years apart, I never want my life to be without Kaboom! again.