IGNORED

Season 4 - The New HSC - Week 11 = Zaxxon

JacobZu7zu7

Had the Zaxxon game of my life. A 12 year old personal record was put to rest last night!

:spidey:

Wow.... that's gonna make an interesting record, right on 100ks like that,... and its a score twice my personal best. Well Done! :)

Have doubt its gonna be topped any years soon ;) lol

No, it's clearly not rollage, it's just me getting my butt handed to me during a space wave. I'm willing to bet rollage is 10x my score.

Thanks for all the kind words! I was shedding lives left and right around 98000 and was hoping I could crack six figures before I was wiped out.

:spidey:

post-40055-0-90084500-1428185675_thumb.png

If I'm not wearing out my reset button after crashing into something in the beginning of the first level, I'm losing all my lives on those barriers above the gaps a little later on. Even using StanJr's tip about shooting to see where the opening is, I fear this may be it for me. All the caffeine in the world isn't seeming to help. When caffeine lets you down, what have you got left to throw at life?

• Like 3

There are four total heights that are meaningful in the game: Ground Level, Red Fighter Level, Yellow Fighter Level, and Max Altitude.

The laser gates are passable at Ground Level, Red Fighter Level, and Yellow Fighter Level.

Ground Level is easy, it's the lowest you can go and you have NO shadow (so you can actually rise up a little bit and still be at ground level, the shadow is the key)

Red Fighter Level is just above Ground Level. This is the level the Zaxxon missile is at. You shadow's nose will blink. Again there is some leniency here, you can be slightly higher and still at RFL.

Yellow Fighter Level is the hardest to judge as there is no good way to know you are there until you actually shoot a Yellow Fighter OR shoot through a gap. The best tip I have is to start at MAX Alt and drop slightly down. That should be the spot. I'm sure there is some give here, but it seems like a tighter window than the others.

The gates in the even numbered Zones are always in the same order:

MAX Alt (to get into the Zone)

RFL

YFL

GL

RFL

YFL

GL

RFL

ZAXXON (so stay at RFL)

A note about the green banana fighters, they can hit you and you them at below MAX Alt, but just slightly below, so you may think you are safe if you are not at MAX, but you may not be.

Also while in the space wave, avoid the far sides as banana fighters can appear directly in front of you and instantly crash you. I used a side-to-side strafing strategy and usually get 10-12 ships per wave (until the fourth space wave, when I just dodge and shoot, and pray).

• Like 3

Here's a fuel tip I noticed. In earlier rounds, I was getting EVERY fuel tank but still would run out of fuel sometimes. If you hit a fuel tank, and it fills you up to maximum capacity, the next quick shot at another tank will not give you more. It will just top you off. I try to wait till last possible second to hit hit fuel tanks if possible now(especially if you have several fuel tanks in a row).

Another thing I do at the faster speeds - When flying at highest level (and the ground below is full of enemies) - and a plane comes on screen - he will move left or right to position itself in front of you. If he is coming from the left, shoot like mad (straight ahead) and when he just gets in front of you tap the opposite direction to avoid it's last shot at you as he explodes from your hit on him.

Edited by voodoo_chilly
  • Like 4