IGNORED

Recommend me a new (and by 'new' i mean classic) console!

moodorf

How much patience would you have with a computer, where you might even have to type in commands to load games every now and then, rather than just auto booting or inserting a cartridge? I'm not asking in order to mock you, rather I have understood that a lot of people who are exclusively used to playing on consoles, sometimes find the earlier 8-bit home computers a bit cumbersome and primitive to handle. It could affect your choice where to go next with your collection, in particular if you already "know" the Genesis enough to not be thrilled about getting the real iron.

I'd have a lot of patience with a computer. After all, I have to deal with Windows 8 on a daily basis. :D

Edited by moodorf
  • Like 1

I'd have a lot of patience with a computer. After all, I have to deal with Windows 8 on a daily basis. :D

A joke about modern systems being clunky may not reflect quite the ideal attitude. ;)

Seriously, the user interface on some (okay, most) 8-bit computers is easily enough to ruin the whole thing for me. For that reason, I will never recommend a c64, for example. A8's are pretty noob friendly, as I previously mentioned, but even they started annoying me when I got into basic for a contest.

I've been thinking about this thread and shopping around a bit. A genesis combined with a chinese everdrive clone is a hard combo not to recommend on a budget. But, thinking more outside the box, 3do might still be doable under $100 with a little shopping around. (buy-it-nows are out, but ebay auctions still look to clear it) Not going to lie, the 3do isn't the most fun I've had with a console, but it's solid, obscure, and I find most games that are on both it and ps1, are actually better on 3do. They do seem to develop belt problems with age, so one that's "tested" is important--not sure if its all models.

Edited by Reaperman

To be honest guys I'm leaning towards a Master System. I found a local store with one in good condition for about $50. The games aren't the best, but at least they aren't unreasonably expensive (yet)

IMHO NES, SNES, and now finally Genesis game prices are getting wayyyyy too inflated. At least, outside of flea markets & boot sales--I was telling people in chat about how I saw two Genesis CIB games, one $85 and the other $125 at local game store. What greedy dickheads. (They were Mutant League Hockey & Splatterhouse 3 respectively for those who are wondering)

But that's the way most game stores are becoming. Craigslist also used to be a place you could find good deals, but gougers have started settling in there as well :thumbsdown: .

Now how do I close/end a thread.....? :)

Edited by moodorf

If you don't have a Genesis, that is the obvious choice. WAY more great games to chose from than the master system.

If you want something a little more novel, go for the Atari Jaguar. It was made in the USA in 1993 by IBM. Most of it's expansive library is top notch and as an added bonus it is really cheap to collect for. There is also an inexpensive and reliable CD based add-on for the console which nearly doubles the library of awesome playable games. These are easy to find new in box and are worth the extra couple of bucks. Just be prepared to have friends bugging you to come over all the time to play games. The system has a 4 player multi-tap and a great number of fun four player games, so it might get old having your buddies taking up couch space and drinking your beer as you play 4 player jag games until the wee hours of the morning. Happy hunting!

• 2 weeks later...

Model 1 Sega Genesis with the power base converter is my reccommendation. You can play Genesis and Master System games. Genesis games are very easy to find and affordable. You can add a 32xx and a sega cd for an even bigger library. Colecovisions have an awesome library, but are some of the most unreliable systems ever made. Plus you need to be skilled at soldering. Intellovisions have a great library and affordable games, but I'm not sure if you are up for the numeric keypad. Plus games for them loose it will be hard to play and figure out to play if they don't come with an overlay. 7800 is a good system and decent priced. But have mostly upgraded arcade ports, but a great homebrew market. Turbo Grafx 16's are great, but the games are relatively expensive to collect for. I'd go with the Genesis model 1 and get the powerbase converter with it.