IGNORED

F18A Video/Sound, IDE interface internal Power, and (New) Power Supply!

craigm71

Hello everyone!

I just wanted everyone to know I have been working with rey_1178 and received my Adam back on Friday, after playing with it from two days, I wanted everyone to know how my mods went.

As the title went over, I had three mods done completed:

1. The new Power Supply – I received a discount since I already owned the first version (Black)
  2. F18A Video and Sound Update
  3. Internal Power for the IDE interface for the SD Card Hard Drive

Again, to start this off, before any mods were done, rey_1178 is a great guy, he is very quick to get back to me and is very informative. Just from the professionalism alone, one does not have to worry about doing business with him. Lastly, the work was done in a reasonable time and I always knew how things were going with my Adam.

1. Power Supply Ver 2.0: I have attached pictures of the new power supply to this post, you can see the sizes and how much better the new power supply is, if you read my post on the Black Power Supply, It was well made, but there were some requests I put there incase rey_1178 decided to do a version 2.0. Well he has and all the hopes I had from last versions made it into the new one!!!

The review on the Black Power Supply is here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/225861-coleco-adam-power-supply/page-5

It’s so much small and quieter, if you do not have the monitor on, you would think it was off (we’ll except for the red light that is showing).

The shell of the new power supply is well made also, not some cheap plastic, it looks like it was made from Coleco.

2. F18A video mod: If you do not know what this is, then please see this post: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/202406-f18a-adam-adpater-and-case-mod/

I knew the video would be better, but holly $hit is better (and I have two Yurkie modded Colecovisions). I don’t think there is physically any better way to get video from your Adam computer onto a new monitor.

The colors pop and all the graphics are sharp. I tried to look for colors that did not match but I could not find anything.

To me this is a no brainer, however, I did not know this (and rey_1178 did not either), that is you do this F18A mod, know you will lose the ability to use the Expansion module #1 (Atari 2600 expansion).

I have to be honest, I was bummed since I was excited to use my Harmony Encore Cartridge on it and get graphics as nice as the Adam for the Atari 2600. Alas, it was not meant to be. While this is not a deal breaker and if I had to do this again I would, it was a bummer none-the-less.

The install looked great also, well done and solid.
  3. IDE interface internal Power: The final mod was the SD Card Reader IDE Interface card. If you don’t know what it is, it’s sold at: http://ann.hollowdreams.com/adamsupplies.html (middle of the page)

Basically, you get all the Coleco Adam software on one SD Card that is read off an customer made IDE card. It makes running and starting programs very fast, plus you don’t have to have all the software out. You simply boot up your Adam with a Tape with the boot info, and then you’re off!

However, the power supply is rather large and sits outside the case. Not as elegant as one would hope for.

rey_1178 was able to mod my Adam though so now I draw power internally! Please see the pictures and you can see how this cuts down on wires and power.

Closing Statement: I am sorry if I am long winded, I do think it is warranted because this is such a great service. I love my Adam and like to use it a bit, however, age makes it an issues at times and before this mod, especially the video.

The power supply is great, if you are using your printer still, I strongly recommend you thinking of investing in the new supply, I have two printers and neither of them worked well and were slow (and worse, I never printed on them). It’s also looks like a product made from Coleco, great work.

Look at the pictures, again, I cannot recommend rey_1178 enough!

post-33368-0-98929800-1427658429_thumb.jpg

post-33368-0-75466800-1427658430_thumb.jpg

post-33368-0-26718000-1427658432_thumb.jpg

post-33368-0-94933200-1427658433_thumb.jpg

post-33368-0-75351300-1427658435_thumb.jpg

post-33368-0-24675800-1427658437_thumb.jpg

post-33368-0-77825800-1427658438_thumb.jpg

post-33368-0-35340800-1427658440_thumb.jpg

post-33368-0-01023000-1427658442_thumb.jpg

post-33368-0-60796400-1427658443_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks for sharing your experience with Rey's mod service for the ADAM. I've been dragging my arsh in buying the F18A and taking Rey up on his offer to perform the same mods for me, so this should be the kick in the behind that I need to get moving!

BTW, I understand about the incompatibility between the F18A and the Expansion Module #1 Atari Adapter and was wondering if you have tested out Opcode's Super Game Module and a few SGM required games with it... there shouldn't be any issues, but confirmation would be appreciated.

As far as Rey's latest ADAM Power Supply offering (rev 2.0), I too was lucky to acquire one in order to help Rey with testing and absolutely LOVE IT!!! As can be seen in craigm71's comparison picks, this new ADAM P.S. is tiny compared to other options that have been available in the past especially when compared to having to use the ADAM printer to power your system. While I haven't been able to find the time to run this new P.S. thru a marathon session, I have been using it for short stretches to power my main ADAM system and it has performed like perfectly with very little noticeable heat build-up (a lot less than the ADAM Disk Drive). I can't think of anything else that could be done to improve upon this latest offering as Rey has taken into consideration everyone's "Wish List" for this latest revision:

- Small footprint for space savings

- Fanless to cut out completely additional noise

- Professional looking housing that matches the ADAM's color as closely as possible

- Replica ADAM label to tie it all into the rest of the system

- Power light

- Front mounted On/Off power button

- Longer cable that connects to the Memory Console

If you don't have the ability to mount a power supply into the Memory Console, then Rey's ADAM P.S. Rev. 2.0 is the only option you should consider.

post-25956-0-64717600-1427661626_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

NIAD,

You know, I have the SGM but no games yet...what is wrong with me =(

I need to get a game and let you know if it works...that is a very good question.

By the way, I have told you before but I love your setup. I really need to find myself some disk drives!

If you have the AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart, you can copy Nanochess's SGM Test Utility to it to test the SGM, F18A and ADAM. I think you will still experience the low sound output problem, but this is not the fault of the SGM or F18A... it is how the sound output was tapped by Coleco for the Composite DIN Video/Audio Port and all you have to do is raise the volume on your TV.

The computer desk that I purchased long before I reacquired all this CV & ADAM gear has been one of my best purchases ever as there is a lot of real estate to keep things looking uncluttered. I used to keep my DJPUBBA made ADAM P.S. concealed away under the TV stand and to the left of the Memory Console, but as sweat as Rey's new P.S. looks, I had to display it proudly!

BTW, your setup ain't too shabby either with all those mounted displays. :-o

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 1

For whoever needs the SGM zip;

sgm_test.zip

I am assuming that the 128k games can be put on the ATARIMAX SD cart but not the 128 all in one correct? I also read yesterday that the first revision of the SGM has an issue with sound output when used with the F18A. If that's so then I'm going to have to help my friend Craig with this. Wish I would've known about that before hand but it's not his fault and I won't let him hang out to dry if you know what I mean.

Wish I would've known about that before hand but it's not his fault and I won't let him hang out to dry if you know what I mean.

Its not the sgm or any revision of the sgm so there is nothing to fix for that. It has to do with the coleco setup to the expansion slot.

Its not the sgm or any revision of the sgm so there is nothing to fix for that. It has to do with the coleco setup to the expansion slot.

So why isn't it an issue with the SGMs that aren't revision E?

• 2 weeks later...

Hay everyone, I wanted to touch base with you all again and let you know that I tested the sound with the SGM, the Atari 2600 Expansion Module #1 did not work at all but I can confirm that the SGM that Team Pixelboy (http://teampixelboy.com/) sells works great with sound.

Again, if you have the cash, the F18A mod is the best mod you can do for your Adam hands down. Get the new power supply that Rey does also and it feels like a new computer!

• Like 2

Hay everyone, I wanted to touch base with you all again and let you know that I tested the sound with the SGM, the Atari 2600 Expansion Module #1 did not work at all but I can confirm that the SGM that Team Pixelboy (http://teampixelboy.com/) sells works great with sound.

Except that I don't sell the SGM.

Thanks for spreading the word. :P