IGNORED

The Atari interview discussion thread

Savetz

Tom Hunt, Closer to Home BBS

Tom Hunt ran an Atari BBS called Closer to Home for 28 years. He also created a variety of utilities for the Atari 8-bit computers, including M.T.O.S. (Multi-Tasking Operating System), and The Armorizer (a file corruption detector). He created several languages including Atari implementations of the Brainfork and Mouse programming languages, and forks of Atari BASIC and Turbo BASIC with various feature additions. He also built a system for porting Inform 5 and Z-Code text adventures to the Atari platform.
This interview took place on August 5, 2017.
"Just as soon as one caller would get off another one would come on. We had so much going on, before the Internet we had worldwide networking — we had message bases, emails, and file mail going around the world to Christchurch, New Zealand and everything. It was just great!"
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

John Skruch, Atarisoft

John Skruch worked at Atari from 1982, under Warner Communications, all through the Tramiel era, until 1998 when the company was owned by JTS.
During that time, he was operations manager for Atarisoft, the arm of Atari that produced software for competing computer systems; software product manager for the 8-bit computer line; and director of licensing. He was involved wth the design and development of the XM301 modem, and the Atari Lynx game system.
This interview took place on March 18, 2017.
"Atari was bleeding. We used to kid that there was a guy who would go up on the roof every day at noon and toss a million dollars off the roof, and come back inside."
  • Like 6

Our 300th interview episode.

Lance Leventhal, Author of Assembly Language Books

Lance Leventhal wrote 25 computer books, spanning 1978 through 1992. His books include 6502 Assembly Language Programming, 6502 Assembly Language Subroutines, Z80 Assembly Language Programming, Z80 Assembly Language Subroutines, 6800 Assembly Language Programming, 6809 Assembly Language Programming, and Why Do You Need a Personal Computer?
This interview took place on August 25, 2017.
"Be careful about avoiding sidetracks. Don't go down them. There's always things you'd like to say and things you'd like to talk about. But they're not central to your topic and you've got to be brutal about not saying them."
  • Like 9

James Burton, APX Drawit

James Burton published one program for the Atari 8-bit computers: Drawit, a graphics utility that was published by Atari Program Exchange. It first appeared in the summer 1983 APX catalog, where it was awarded first prize in the personal development category.
This interview took place on August 24, 2017.
"Many hours. Many, many hours. Late at night, don't want to go to sleep. Just plugging at the computer."
  • Like 5

Patricia Mitchell, Thorn EMI

Patricia Mitchell started at Thorn EMI in 1981. She worked in the home computer software division, evaluating software that had been submitted by programmers.

Thorn EMI published many games for the Atari 8-bit computers, including River Rescue, Carnival Massacre, Orc Attack, Kickback, Submarine Commander, Computer War, and Jumbo Jet Pilot.

Later she worked at Virgin Games.

This interview took place on April 27, 2017.

In it, we talk a little about about Steve Green. Steve bought Patricia's old Atari computer on eBay, which included pre-production versions of five Thorn EMI games. Steve made ROM dumps of those games and uploaded them to Internet Archive.

"One of the most embarrassing things for the management at the time was they turned down a game that was submitted that was called Elite ... It was the first 3-D graphics that were rendered in wireframe."

Patricia Mitchell started at Thorn EMI in 1981. She worked in the home computer software division, evaluating software that had been submitted by programmers.

Video version of the interview:

Edited by Savetz
  • Like 2

In it, we talk a little about about Steve Green. Steve bought Patricia's old Atari computer on eBay, which included pre-production versions of five Thorn EMI games. Steve made ROM dumps of those games and uploaded them to Internet Archive.

This is news to me. Do you have a link to that?

Lee Konowe, American Software Club

Lee Konowe was founder of American Software Club, a mail-order software company. American Software Club sold software for CP/M, Atari 8-bit, TRS-80, Apple II, IBM PC, Commodore 64, and other platforms. It started out with a sort of Columbia House "software of the month" model, where you automatically received a "choice of the month" software package each month — which you could keep and pay for, or return at no cost. Later the company switched to a more traditional mail order catalog model.
The company was founded around June 1981. In an article about software clubs in InfoWorld magazine, the company said it had about 2,000 members by the end of its first month. By February 1983 it claimed 10,000 members, and by September of that year had 15,000 members.
This interview took place on June 7 2017 for me, and June 8 for Lee in New Zealand.
Video version:
  • Like 3

Hal Glicksman, Datamost

Hal Glicksman was head of the book division at Datamost.
In two years from 1982 to 1984, Datamost was one of largest publishers of computer books. In 1983 alone, Datamost published over 40 titles and shipped 100,000 books per month. Their Atari books included Atari Roots, Kids and the Atari, ABCs of Atari Computers, and The Elementary Atari. Hal himself wrote The Musical Atari, Games Ataris Play, and The Musical Commodore.
Datamost also published software: the company's Atari software titles included Cohen's Towers, Cosmic Tunnels, Jet Boot Jack, Mr. Robot and His Robot Factory, and The
Tail of Beta Lyrae.
This interview took place on April 7, 2017 for me; April 8 for him in France.
"It was a second career for me. I was the oldest person there, older than the boss by 10 years, almost. And for me to be able to get in with all these young people and learn — I mean, I wasn't as fast as any of them but, just to hold up my own."
Video:
  • Like 4

David Seuss, co-founder of Spinnaker Software

This interview is with David Seuss, co-founder of Spinnaker Software. Spinnaker was one of the first companies to focus exclusively on educational software. Spinnaker's software line-up included Snooper Troops, Delta Drawing, FaceMaker, Adventure Creator, In Search of the Most Amazing Thing, KinderComp, and many other titles.
This interview took place on September 11, 2017.
Teaser quotes:
"We invented the educational software market. It really didn't exist until we came along."
"We were making out first packaging run, we're just so excited, and all the packages melted! Oh no."
  • Like 3

Dan Reinhart, Yahtman

Dan Reinhart published one program for the Atari 8-bit computers: Yahtman, a Yahtzee-style game that was published by Atari Program Exchange. Yahtman first appeared in the winter 1982-1983 APX catalog.
This interview took place on August 28, 2017. In it, we discuss Paul Cubbage, whom I previously interviewed.
"Paul [Cubbage] had said, 'You know, you have good potential at this sort of thing but you really need to choose: are you going to keep building earth movers and equipment? Or do you want to live in programming and doing games?' ... And as it turns out, I chickened out."
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kevin, have you ever looked for Joe Helleson who worked at Atari and wrote a lot of Atari software on various machines from the 2600 on up?

I'd love to ask him some questions.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/268783-is-there-a-pac-man-5200-to-8bit-conversion/?p=3863648

I've reached out to him a couple of different ways, and haven't heard back from him.

BTW it's Hellesen with an e.

—Kevin

• Like 2

Dan Pinal: Alternate Reality - The Dungeon, Atari Graphics and Arcade Game Design

Dan Pinal contributed to the book Atari Graphics and Arcade Game Design, with Jeff Stanton, a book published by Arrays in 1984. He was one of the programmers of Alternate Reality - The Dungeon, which was published by Datasoft in 1987. He also created the game Stargate Courier, published by COSMI; and worked on the Atari port of Goonies for Datasoft.
This interview took place on September 1, 2017.
"They said, 'How long?' and we said '18 months.' And they said ‘We can’t wait that long to put something out.'"
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Is the F-S Macro Assembler mentioned in the interview available anywhere?

Ive run a few searches, but couldnt find anything other than the references to it in the game design book and a brief mention in the manual to the Apple ][ assembler it was ported from.

Edited by Eyvind Bernhardsen
  • Like 1

Still enjoying the monthly and interview podcasts, thanks guys.

I mentioned this before but when you get to speak to those who have created some of the best games, like the Carol Shaw one and River Raid, though they probably know it was a good game /seller it's worth delving deeper even into how they came about (yes I know you did quite a bit this time). How it was done/what infulences/other ideas/features/ anything programmed in but not used/removed... Say there are 10,000 games, probably many more, and you have something like River Raid, well it's an easy top 50 game, probably top 10 of all time, so it's special - I guess the question is Why? you did sort of answer this - She had done the 2600 version, others said to add more features etc, plus natural talent of course :) Could ask about play testing/considerations of game time / levels / how far did they expect people to get to...

[did they aim/intend for it to be that good/think it would be...]

Keep up the good work guys :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited by therealbountybob

Jim Schuyler, Founder of DesignWare

Jim Schuyler was Founder of DesignWare. Founded in 1980, Designware created educational software that was published by other companies — including SRA, Xerox, and Spinnaker — as well as software that it published under its own label. Designware's titles included Creature Creator, Grammar Examiner, Mission: Algebra, Spellicopter, and Trap-a-Zoid, among others. Jim programmed Story Machine himself, which was published by Spinnaker Software. Designware was acquired by PeachTree in 1984.
This interview took place on September 11, 2017. In it, we discuss Peter Rosenthal, David Seuss, and Bill Bowman, all of whom I previously interviewed.
The intro and outro music in the audio version is Confusion Reigns, composed by Jim Schuyler.
Video version:
Edited by Savetz
  • Like 3

What a great "interview", or should I rather say "minimally assisted monologue" ;)

Enjoyed that very much, Sheldon's "outline" of Atari and early homecomputing history would serve as a good summary of quite some podcast content.

BTW, I gave ANTIC another 5-star rating on iTunes but I am not sure if that means I replaced the old vote from 3 or 4 years ago. I did it through the app and it showed the old text which I had to overwrite to post a new review.

A sincere thanks for your great work!

ANTIC Interview 309

Ben Heck - Internet Celebrity and Console Modder

Benjamin J. Heckendorn (aka Ben Heck) is an American console modder and Internet celebrity. He is the star of element14's The Ben Heck Show, a popular online TV program. It also turns out that he grew up with the Atari 8-bit line of computers and has built a couple of mods involving the Atari line.

This interview took place on April 13, 2017.

Edited by rkindig
  • Like 4