IGNORED

The Atari interview discussion thread

Savetz

George Morrison: Alpha Systems, Atari Software Protection Techniques books

George Morrison was founder of Alpha Systems, a company that produced many hardware and software products for the Atari computers, including The Parrot, an audio digitizer; MagniPrint II, a printing utility; and The Impersonator, hardware for copying cartridge-based programs; and other products. He was author of two books — Atari Software Protection Techniques and Advanced Atari Protection Techniques.
This interview took place on October 16, 2018. In it, we discuss Ed Stewart and Richard Leinecker, both of whom I have previously interviewed.

Unreal. I just typed a question out of the blue, as I have really, really sick the last two days asking if you have ever interviewed the guy from Alpha Systems as I just found out earlier today, the business was very close to where I live. Having no idea you posted the interview today. Found out after I scrolled up after posting.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

George Morrison: Alpha Systems, Atari Software Protection Techniques books

George Morrison was founder of Alpha Systems, a company that produced many hardware and software products for the Atari computers, including The Parrot, an audio digitizer; MagniPrint II, a printing utility; and The Impersonator, hardware for copying cartridge-based programs; and other products. He was author of two books — Atari Software Protection Techniques and Advanced Atari Protection Techniques.
This interview took place on October 16, 2018. In it, we discuss Ed Stewart and Richard Leinecker, both of whom I have previously interviewed.

Just getting around to some old threads and saw this. Very cool! I need to tune into this. I had a Parrot back in the day. I believe I still have both of those "Atari Software Protection Techniques" books in storage. I should see if I can find them.

• Like 1

Clayton Walnum, A.N.A.L.O.G. Computing and ST-Log

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-142-clayton-walnum-analog-computing-and-st-log

Clayton Walnum was writer and editor at A.N.A.L.O.G. Computing and ST-Log magazines. He started out as technical editor at A.N.A.L.O.G., and was eventually executive editor of both magazines. Clayton wrote the C-manship column - an ongoing tutorial on the C programming language - as well as many, many other articles.

This interview took place on November 8, 2015. In the interview we talk about Lee Pappas, whom I previously interviewed.

Teaser quotes:

The first day, he pointed out my desk and it was like a foot deep in submissions that they hadnt gotten to yet. So my first job was to go through all of those submissions and find the stuff that looked interesting, and see what we might want to buy for the magazine.

At that point on the masthead I was listed as executive editor. I was pretty much single-handedly producing both A.N.A.L.O.G. and ST-Log.

Have long wanted to thank you for this interview. Fantastic stuff! If you ever get to do a follow up interview with him, Id love it if you could put his February 1989 Analog editorial to him: theres simply nothing new to write about them (A8). 30 years and over four hundred thousands posts on Atari Age later... :)

• 2 months later...

Hi Kevin,

I noticed that there's no interview of David Buehler, author of the APX title "Typo Attack" and winner of the Star Award grand prize in 1983.

Did he decline?

He has been putting me off until he finishes a big project. He says we will do it, eventually.

-Kevin

Anthony Jones, Atari UK

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-102-anthony-jones-atari-uk

Anthony Jones was general manager of Atari’s headquarters in the United Kingdom. Later he moved to the United States, where he was group product manager in the marketing arm. There he worked on the Mindlink controller, a controller for the Atari that strapped to your forehead with a headband. Later, he worked at Nolan Bushnell’s Catalyst Technologies incubator.

This interview took place on September 22, 2015.

Teaser quote:

“As opposed to a video game where it gets faster and faster as you go on the game (in the older games at least) this one was kind of the opposite: the more you relaxed, the higher your score cranked. It was quite a surreal experience.”

Hi Kevin,

During his interview, Anthony promised to provide you with contact information for Chris Horseman, former VP of Software Engineering for Atari's Home Computer division (replacing Bruce Irvine), who previously worked at Thorn EMI.

Did he ever follow through with that?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kevin,

During his interview, Anthony promised to provide you with contact information for Chris Horseman, former VP of Software Engineering for Atari's Home Computer division (replacing Bruce Irvine), who previously worked at Thorn EMI.

Did he ever follow through with that?

He did. Bruce did not reply (tried two contact methods.) I'll try again but am not hopeful.

-Kevin

Roy Goldman, Daisy-Dot

Roy Goldman was the creator of Daisy-Dot, a typesetting program for the Atari 8-bit computers which he published from about 1987-1990. There were three versions of Daisy-Dot, the original plus Daisy-Dot II and Daisy-Dot III. The earliest version was freeware, and later versions asked for payment for access to special features.
This interview took place on May 11, 2019. After we talked, Roy sent me scans of memorabilia from that time.
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
John Anderson: Rally Speedway and Arex

John Anderson worked at Adventure International, where he coded several games: Eliminator, Rear Guard, and Sea Dragon for the Apple II, then Rally Speedway and Arex for the Atari 8-bits.

This interview took place on May 22, 2019. In it, we discuss Scott Adams and Russ Wetmore, both of whom I have previously interviewed.

ANTIC Interview 371 - John Anderson: Rally Speedway and Arex

• Like 7

Ralley Speedway satisfied two major tick boxes for my brother and I as kids... Two players *at the same time* and a level editor/construction kit! And you could even save the levels to disk for later iirc? Maaaaany hours were spent with that game. And I think it was a standard 8K or 16K ROM, and the disk version loaded into the same memory space so it worked with the persistent RAM cart, so didn't have to load it from cassette every time.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I'm back on my bullshit!

Bruce Irvine, Atari VP of Software

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-373-bruce-irvine-atari-vp-of-software

Bruce Irvine was Atari's Vice President of Software — heading the company's new computer software division — from September 1980 through approximately July 1982. Among other responsibilities, he oversaw Atari Program Exchange and the opening of Atari "software acquisition centers." After leaving Atari, he co-founded Mindset Corporation with Roger Badertscher.

This interview took place on November 7, 2019. In it, Bruce mentions Steve Gerber, Fred Thorlin, Dale Yocum, and Manny Gerard, all of whom we have previously interviewed.

Wolfgang Burger, President of Atari Bit Byter User Club

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-374-wolfgang-burger-president-of-atari-bit-byter-user-club

Wolfgang Burger is the president and a founding member of the Atari Bit Byter User Club, the world's largest user group dedicated to the Atari 8-bit computer. The group was founded in 1985 in Herten, Germany. Today, the group has about 500 members from around the world. The group's quarterly magazine — still produced on an Atari computer — is almost certainly the longest continually published computer magazine anywhere.

This interview took place on August 28, 2019, during the Fujiama Atari conference in Lengenfeld, Germany. Wolfgang doesn't speak much English, and I don't speak any German, so Roland Wassenberg provided real-time language translation.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

Bruce May, Unreleased Magic Castle Game

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-375-bruce-may-unreleased-magic-castle-game

In 1982 Bruce May created Magic Castle, a game for the Atari 800 computer. He finished the game but was unable to find a publisher for it, so hardly anyone played it. In October 2019 he sent me scans of his original documents regarding Magic Castle: his design notes, and even rejection letters from the three companies that he submitted the game to: Catalyst Technologies, Avalon Hill, and Origin Systems. He hasn't been able to find the floppy disks with the game, but he does have printouts of the source code — which he also scanned and sent to me — so it could potentially be resurrected by the Atari community.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1