IGNORED

Fixing a heavy sixer - am I in danger of making a Frankensixer?

gamer-stu

I found a partially functional heavy sixer at a flea market this weekend for $10. S/N: 42133M. It only displays in black and white but otherwise works. I tried all of the easy fixes, such as adjusting the pot, checking for solder breaks, swapping the TIA. Still black and white. The color/bw switch works, because it changes the shade of b/w when flipped.

Anyway, the easiest thing for me to do would be to swap in the guts from a light sixer. I could also swap the top from the light sixer, since that is in much better condition (it would however be replacing a white label Atari logo with a silver one). Would these swaps taint or otherwise "de-heavy six" the heavy sixer? I don't want to create some sort of Frankenbeast that would hurt the collectability of the machine.

Thoughts?

Edited by gamer-stu

I'd do it. Unless you're selling it (in which case it might be disingenuous to call it a true "heavy sixer"), who cares if it has light sixer guts? No one's gonna know except you. And a working Frankenheavy is better than a partially working Heavy anyway.

• Like 2

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about some future, to-be-determined, potential collector who may have wanted you to do live your life differently so he/she gets a better VCS. I'd just do the swap and make it work right. To paraphrase, if it looks and feels like a heavy sixer, and it plays like a heavy sixer, (in my opinion) it's a heavy sixer.

By the way, I think Atari may have done exactly what you are comtemplating when repairing units for the "refurbished"/"reconditioned" unit sales.

• Like 1

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about some future, to-be-determined, potential collector who may have wanted you to do live your life differently so he/she gets a better VCS. I'd just do the swap and make it work right. To paraphrase, if it looks and feels like a heavy sixer, and it plays like a heavy sixer, (in my opinion) it's a heavy sixer.

By the way, I think Atari may have done exactly what you are comtemplating when repairing units for the "refurbished"/"reconditioned" unit sales.

Thanks fiddlepaddle, that is reassuring! :)

If you're stuck in b/w maybe it's something simple?

Thanks Keatah. I think that I've tried everything simple, such as trying different games, RF switches, tried on CRT & LCD etc. Anything I'm missing? I've also swapped the TIA and fiddled with the color pot to no effect. No obvious solder breaks or cold joints. I see that labels has suggested replacing the RF modulator, which is probably a solid next step.

This. A heavy sixer with light sixer guts is just as legitimate an Atari VCS console as a regular H6 or L6, IMO.