IGNORED

Inexpensive S-Video or Composite to HDMI video up converter

ACML

Ok here's what I discovered today to my surprise. The 4K box does much better in PAL mode than NTSC. Defender has all the proper colors and even the pale pink shows up very well (some stuff was in motion when I took these pictures).

dF5Z0sU.jpg

Then I tried Draconus which always looked too green under NTSC.

9XLuHTM.jpg

These photos don't look as good as reality (for instance, Draconis wasn't that contrasty or orange), but they should suffice to show that the 4K converter box does a fair job when used with a PAL A8 having Bryan's UAV board installed.

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols

Ok here's what I discovered today to my surprise. The 4K box does much better in PAL mode than NTSC. Defender has all the proper colors and even the pale pink shows up very well (some stuff was in motion when I took these pictures).

- Michael

Cool! How did you get an NTSC to display PAL?

• Like 1

Cool! How did you get an NTSC to display PAL?

Since I was testing my 1088XEL in a PAL configuration, it was actually quite easy. Simply changed the Antic and the GTIA chip to their PAL counterparts, as well as changed the main crystal to a PAL one instead. However on a stock NTSC A8 it's not so easy since you are missing many of the components required by PAL, although I think there is a board that Dropcheck makes that might do this in an easier fashion. Or the other option is to buy a PAL version of your motherboard or even and entire PAL computer. I think PAL motherboards for certain series Atari's are available from BEST Electronics and B&C.

The nice thing about having a PAL system is it opens up a lot of choices for demos and games that are coming out of the very active European market.

- Michael

I thought you were displaying a PAL signal from the UltraHD 4K on your NTSC TV.

No think of the UltraHD converter as a new analog front end to your HDTV that has the ability to sync and convert either PAL or NTSC analog video standards into digital HDMI. The HDMI is it's own standard independent of PAL or NTSC, similar in a sense to how VGA was also it's own standard, only in this case it's pure digital and no longer has any analog aspects. But it does appear that the UltraHD is better able to do a proper up-conversion from a PAL source, than an NTSC one.

- Michael

• Like 1

No think of the UltraHD converter as a new analog front end to your HDTV that has the ability to sync and convert either PAL or NTSC analog video standards into digital HDMI. The HDMI is it's own standard independent of PAL or NTSC, similar in a sense to how VGA was also it's own standard, only in this case it's pure digital and no longer has any analog aspects. But it does appear that the UltraHD is better able to do a proper up-conversion from a PAL source, than an NTSC one.

- Michael

I was not aware that the HDMI signal was the same even for 50hz (AC) televisions. You see 60, 120 and 240 hz refresh advertised on all the new LED TV's, just thought the base frequency still had to be a multiple of 60 for NTSC/ATSC. Makes sense, the 50 vs 60 hz was for the electron gun in a CRT TV. I'm an aerospace engineer, not a EE.

I was not aware that the HDMI signal was the same even for 50hz (AC) televisions. You see 60, 120 and 240 hz refresh advertised on all the new LED TV's, just thought the base frequency still had to be a multiple of 60 for NTSC/ATSC. Makes sense, the 50 vs 60 hz was for the electron gun in a CRT TV. I'm an aerospace engineer, not a EE.

Unfortunately you are correct that the frame rate differences still apply to the modern HDMI standard, so my previous explanation was too simplistic when I suggested that this was a universal interface. Although luckily a lot of HDTV's can support either frame rate. Here's a better explanation: https://www.lifewire.com/why-ntsc-and-pal-still-matter-1847856

At any rate, the UltraHD does appear to be able to accommodate either PAL or NTSC 'analog' inputs and convert them to an acceptable HDMI output that my US HDTV can utilize. And whatever electronic magic is going on inside the box to do that, it seems better geared towards PAL conversion.

- Michael

• 1 month later...

Tried this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Composite-3RCA-CVBS-AV-S-Video-Audio-to-HDMI-Converter-Adapter-1080p-Upscaler-TP-/142419309021

Results:

800XL (PAL) - Pink hued image shifted 50% horizontally

Jaguar (PAL) - Dancing left and right constantly (Unwatchable)

Jaguar (PAL60) - No Image

Jaguar (NTSC) - Stable image, colours inverted.

1200XL (NTSC) - Stable ok-ish image

Requesting refund, recommendation: AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE.

Further comments: Really liked the brushed metal casing, if only the insides were as good.