IGNORED

Any arcade games really stand out to you, back in the day?

82-T/A

Any arcade games really stand out to you, back in the day?

For me, this is an impossible question. It is like asking:

• Any supermodels really stand out to you, back in the day?
  • Any Ferraris really stand out to you, back in the day?

There were only a handful of arcade games that didn't stand out to me back in the day :D

• Like 2

There were only a handful of arcade games that didn't stand out to me back in the day :D

Now that is also a good question "arcade games that didn't stand out". I vote for Frenzy (boring and easy).

Edited by Mxyzptlk

This. Too many to mention OP.

/thread

• 1 month later...

Just going by things that stood out in my brain that I can remember right now.

The ship explosion in Defender to me looked 3D and I remember being taken aback by it.. I thought that was really really modern :lol:. Another noteworthy one in my mind was the mothership explosion in Eliminator.

The music in Gyruss. I was so wowed and I remember trying to describe it to my brother and the best I could come up with is that it was "like a movie"

Star Fire - Was so long ago that I almost completely forgot how absolutely enthralled I was that you were sitting in a cockpit shooting tie-fighters. I would lie in bed thinking about the game. Vector Star Wars was still years away but even when it arrived it didn't really give me the feeling that Star Fire did to the younger me.

This must have stood out for me way back when as I remembered it and bought one a few years ago. Now all I have to do is live long enough to retire so I have time to get it working. :D

That thing is awesome!!! I looked online, and found some interesting pictures... none related to the machine though. Do you have any "screen shots" if you will?

I'm one of 3 registered owners on KLOV (I was the only one when I first registered it)

http://www.arcade-museum.com/members/game_census.php?klov_id=7184

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7184

Some youtube action footage (though "action" may be too strong of a word)

(not mine)

It's a black & white game with color transparencies on the CRT to create the colored bands.

http://atariage.com/forums/gallery/album/194-bombs-away/ (a few of my pix)

Kind of interesting how I ended up buying it. It was fairly cheap on local Craigslist: complete except for the main board.(!)

At the same time, somebody had a board on eBay. Seemed like a sign that I needed to own me a Bombs Away machine.

I tested the power supply, plugged in the board and powered it up one day. Seems like the logic board is dead. CRT lit up.

Will probably re-cap the display, then fire up the o-scope and logic probe to figure out the logic board deadness. Someday...

Edited by BigO

What a beaute' !!

It's rough. But I like this obscure stuff. Once I get it working, I'll do a reasonable amount of cosmetic restoration.

Then will come the really, really challenging part: convincing my wife to let me move it into the house. :)

Then I'll start the same process with my Super Space Stranger cocktail machine. At least I know what I'll do for the first few months of retirement 12-15 years from now...

It's a black & white game with color transparencies on the CRT to create the colored bands.

http://atariage.com/forums/gallery/album/194-bombs-away/ (a few of my pix)

Kind of interesting how I ended up buying it. It was fairly cheap on local Craigslist: complete except for the main board.(!)

At the same time, somebody had a board on eBay. Seemed like a sign that I needed to own me a Bombs Away machine.

I tested the power supply, plugged in the board and powered it up one day. Seems like the logic board is dead. CRT lit up.

Will probably re-cap the display, then fire up the o-scope and logic probe to figure out the logic board deadness. Someday...

That thing is super-cool... and how incredibly rare. I'd never even heard of it. Funny that it was made in Sunnyvale, CA. I wonder if there's any association with Atari? Maybe a former employee or something?

That thing is definitely very cool. I see what you mean about the color overlays on the monitor (in your pictures).

A bunch of arcades really stood out to me. One of my favorite and most memorable birthdays was in the Summer of 1987. I turned 6 years of age and in the afternoon my mom and dad took me to the B&I amusements in Tacoma, WA. It was a huge retro arcade joint. About 150 cabinets, a giant carousel, mini golf, skeeball, and billiards. It was one of the earliest times I really started getting into video games. And that evening they took me to Chuck E Cheeses. Had pizza for dinner and played a ton more arcades that evening. It was just an absolute fun time and always left an impressing memory. Enough of that. Here are my favorite arcade games.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Pole Position 1 and 2

Centipede

Tron

Moon Patrol

Donkey Kong

Mario Bros.

Vs. Super Mario Bros. (Game I dominate at)

Vs. Duck Hunt (Enjoy shooting the dog in bonus rounds :-D)

Roadblasters

Track and Field

Hard Drivin/Race Drivin. (Games that easily taught me how to drive a stick shift)

• 1 month later...

So I walk into my local Sears arcade in 1982 and insert a quarter into the Donkey Kong machine, minding my own business, when suddenly I hear from 5 games down, an upbeat "DOO DOODODODEEDOO DOODOODOO DOODOO DEEDEEDOO DODODEDEDO DE DOODOO DOOOOOOO" ( :grin:). I go over to see what it was, and find myself staring at a 16-bit space shooter, with colorful grass, trees, water, etc. And then this large spaceship comes into view. Cue huge "oh my god" reaction. From that day on, Xevious became my favorite game ever.