IGNORED

detect proline

ulao

I need to act like a 7800 controller. I know the proline has a few resisters in there and hold a line lo. But what does a game like Xevious do to detect it. I tried a few things but no luck.

I'm using a micro controller to act as a 7800 but not sure what the 7800 games are looking for.

Here's some info from THIS link: (Page 17 of the PDF)

You can read single-button joystick button state from these TIA registers:

Register Button Bit
----- -------- -----
INPT4 player 0 d7=0 if pushed
INPT5 player 1 d7=0 if pushed

If your game requires both joystick fire buttons, you need to turn on two-button mode by performing
this initial setup:

LDA #$14
STA CTLSWB ;set bits 2 and 4 of PORT B for output
LDA #0
STA SWCHB ;output 0 on bits 2 and 4 of PORT B After which, the joystick button state can be
read from these TIA registers:

Register Button Bit
----- -------- -----
INPT0 player 0, right button d7=1 if pushed
INPT1 player 0, left button d7=1 if pushed
INPT2 player 1, right button d7=1 if pushed
INPT3 player 1, left button d7=1 if pushed

Reading in two button mode when the console has a one button joystick plugged-in isn't
recommended, and may be harmful to the console if done for an extended period. A two button
game should check for one button presses via INPT4/5, and if detected the game should turn
off two button support for that joystick by setting the appropriate SWCHB bits high.
(D2=player 0 joystick, D4=bit 2, player 1 joystick)

Is this what you are looking for? I'm not sure how this is handled if you are looking for 7800Basic info. All I know is that this is how games handle it.

Edited by Roy

It helps yes but is from the reverse end, thus makes it more complex. Basically I need to simulate what you just said ensuring I don't harm the console. I'm not 100% sure what buttons go to what registers. Though if I stare at this long enough it may become clear.

-- Hmm, in that link d7 is directional right, or it would seem, that confuses me.

Data Direction Player
----- -------- ------
D7 right P0

The perfect info for me would be something like. If db9 pin 'x' is held lo (pressed -5v) permanently, then the system sees this as a pro-line controller, and so on and so forth. If you don't know of anything like that I'll start hurting my brain.

Edited by ulao

It would help if you explain what you are actually trying to do.

Are you trying to make something like my DS2 adapter?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/231855-atari-26007800-dualshock-2-adapter-part-deux/?p=3155898

I did?

I'm using a micro controller to act as a 7800

I don't know how to say it better? I guess it would be the same approach as that ds2 to 7800 but would have to prowl thru the code, if it is available. The more I consider this, It may be best cutting up a 7800 controller board and using its internals or just replicate it on a small board. Just seems unnecessary as the micro controller could do all of that by itself if I know exactly what to do.

Edited by ulao

Ok, examining the board and info electronically.

Some sources say no power

http://rtfm.vtt.net/pinouts/data/JoystickAtari7800_pinout.shtml.htm

others say you need power. Opening my controller shows no power connected. I have two resistors showing about 616 ohms. and another component that is in line with ground.Sources call it a diode but current from my multi meter flow both ways, maybe its a zenier? Some how the game knows this is a 7800 2 button controller. I tried to replicate the board with no luck. The buttons with resistor do nothing. I saw a non asci schematic on the net at one point but can not relocated it.

I thought maybe the 7800 was detecting the resistance in button 1 and 2 but that is apparently not the case.

ok Prodos8 says: "I believe its an inductor??? What ever it is its not needed for the circuit to work as I've made several RSI:7800 sticks & NES:7800 pads without it that work just fine. Yes, the two resistors are 620ohm. Something close to that will work as well." http://atariage.com/forums/topic/127507-my-r-type7800-stick/

Edited by ulao