IGNORED

nosweargamer

It worked so well last time, I'm going to do it again. I'm looking for feedback for the next episode of the Atari 7800 Game By Game Podcast ( you can find it on iTunes or use this feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/78gbg )

What are your memories and/or thoughts on Ms. Pac-Man & Pole Position II on the 7800?

Also, how would you rate them? I use a system of 4 choices (From Best to Worst):

Hall of Fame Game (Top 5 game on the system)

Solid Game

"Meh" Game

Trash Game (Bottom 5 game on the system)

These games will be covered on Episode 7

You can also e-mail text or audio to atari7800podcast@aol.com

Just keep it family friendly :)

You can also send feedback on previously covered games or the system itself. Thanks!

I would love to see what could be done with Pole Position 2 in the homebrew scene. No doubt it could be closer than the original release. I still had fun with it, though.

Ms.Pac-Man.. tough call for me. Not too bad, but I expected it to be closer than what we ended up with. The thing I would love to know, Why does the 320 version look so much more like the arcade than all the other ones? I know resolution helps, obviously, but it seems the other versions have different artwork, rather than just lower resolution. I hope that makes sense, and certainly no disrespect intended towards any of the programmers. Just a genuinely curious question.

Ms. Pac Man: Hall of Fame Game. I thought they did a great job porting Ms. Pac-Man onto the 7800. The levels look accurate, the ghosts looked close to their real counterparts, and got the intermissions down pat.

Pole Position 2: Meh game. It is a decent game graphically. But the car's sound is annoying and sounds more like an airplane. Well that's what you get for keeping the TIA chip from the 2600 system in it. Also I find it less challenging than the actual arcade version. My two cents on it.

These two games are a part of one of my favorite Christmas moments ever. Definitely a Top 5 Christmas moment, right up there with my first snowblower (I live in MN) :)

In Christmas of '87, I was in the first grade, and I got what I *really* hoped I would get: an Atari 7800. My parents got a picture of me opening up that 7800 box that captured basically pure joy. Ms-Pac Man was one of the games I got along with the console.

Pole Position II:

"Meh" game. I had never played Pole Position II in the arcade, and still haven't to this day, so I can't say how close it came to the original. Totally blew away Pole Position on the 2600, with having 4 different courses to choose from. But it seemed pretty simple. There was no variation in the crash graphics, for example. Not even a few different ones, just the same explosion, over and over. Nor was the sound very impressive. Looking back, I think this was the pack-in game because it featured both buttons.

Ms Pac-Man:

Hall of Fame game. I used to play this one quite a bit, and to me, this is what comes to mind when I think of Ms Pac-Man. It's not too far off from the arcade version, and it stands up well over time. Even after we got a Nintendo, for years afterwards, I would take my Atari out, each summer, and play my old favorites, and this was definitely one of them.

I believe Ms. Pac-Man and Pole Position II are both categorized as:

Hall of Fame, top five on the system.

Every time I purchase a 7800, I am sure to add each of these games to my collection as soon as possible. They have a tremendous replay value. There are certain games on a system that system owners keep in their software libraries that often lead to the question, "what game have I not played for a while?". Pole position II and Ms. Pac-Man are those go-to games in my 7800 library.

Thank you for posting this thread, for the thread enabled me to reflect on my experience with the 7800 and these two games.