IGNORED

"Dear Activision..."

mikey.shake

Nope, those were mine from the Saturday morning junior league. :)

Here's another view where the score didn't turn out but I'm glad I have it as it shows the early stages of the addiction. I'm thinking late '81 (11 years old). The 2600 was my first big purchase and I must have mowed a million lawns and shoveled a ton a snow over 1 ½ years until I had the $$$ saved up. Oddly I can remember what store each of those games came from and how much I paid.

lb2.jpg

• Like 9

Activision, Inc.
2350 Bayshore Frontage Road
Mountain View, CA 94043
(415) 960-0410

Dear Pitfall Harry adventurer:

Congratulations! You scored 20,000 or more points on Pitfall and have earned membership in Activision's Explorers Club. I'm proud of you--not every soldier of fortune has the courage and skill to tame the wild jungle.

In permanent recognition of your special ability to find treasure despite snapping crocodiles and deadly scorpions, I've enclosed my official emblem.

Your name will be added to our mailing list and from time to time, you will receive information about software from Activision currently available.

Thanks for sharing your accomplishment with me and even though the Activision video game clubs will be discontinued, we hope you will continue to enjoy our products for the major home computers.

Yours truly,
[signature]
Pitfall Harry, Explorer

P.S. We will continue to fulfill orders for patches, until the inventory is depleted/or until the expiration date for the video game clubs (6/1/85).

P.P.S. Be sure to read the enclosed heat seal instructions carefully to avoid problems with either the patch or clothing. The patch may also be sewn to fabrics.

Edited by gunpei
  • Like 4

Ah, well... no response. That 6/1/85 thing in the letter seals the deal.

I thought it was good for a laugh. You know, all in good fun. A tongue-in-cheek romp through nostalgia. But the deeper I go, the stranger it is.

Here’s a giant company, whose most profitable product (CoD) hinges on it’s connectivity, on playing in the “public sphere”, so to speak. But the more I tried to find contact information for them, the more it would route me back to the same dead end. Few official responses to anything whatsoever (not just me) on social media... a forum that seems principally moderated by the users themselves... and no readily-available contact info for the press/marketing department.
What if I were writing any other article on, say, the 33rd anniversary of a classic video game? I’m a journalist by trade, and most other companies have easily-accessible channels for press inquiries. But I feel like I’m in Dark City trying to find Shell Beach. “To contact us, use Facebook...” but there’s no way to message directly. Twitter? Same basic situation. Like they’re hiding something... like they don’t WANT us to find out more. Like they’re trying to look accessible but secretly concocting who-knows-what behind the lead curtain.
It’s like some giant... conspiracy... ;)
[/facetious paranoia]
I know, I know. Frankly, beyond the highly-unlikely, best-case scenario, I was figuring I’d get either a “Haha, cute. Sorry, we don’t do that anymore.” or even a “Buzz off!” email I could print out and put on the wall above my Atari.
But an unreachable entity? A colossal recluse of a technology company in 2015? Now that’s a the kind of mystery that gets my journalistic instincts all riled up. Can somebody check to make sure they aren't Skynet?
Regardless... Happy Birthday, Pitfall!, and I hope some of my Atari-lovin' bredren get their vine-swing on today! Thanks for the support!
​(And I'm pretty sure when I die, if I find some loophole and make it to Heaven, there will be a wood-panelled room just like that photo, with a VCS on the floor and a stack of games for me to play for eternity.)
Edited by mikey.shake
  • Like 5

It does seem a bit odd that nobody there would take up the opportunity for some essentially free publicity and good will. Any kind of token gesture would do the job, especially if even a bit of thought went into it.

Too bad.

Not a lot of thought has gone into anything at Activision for a few years. They're still milking the same cash COD without any thought whatsoever on their part - or the lemmings who think they're the epitome of fantastic multiplayer game design. Must make ID feel good about themselves knowing that Activision have ripped off Quake Arena, a 15+ year old game.

Not a lot of thought has gone into anything at Activision for a few years. They're still milking the same cash COD without any thought whatsoever on their part - or the lemmings who think they're the epitome of fantastic multiplayer game design. Must make ID feel good about themselves knowing that Activision have ripped off Quake Arena, a 15+ year old game.

To be fair, Activision is just selling the stuff, not making it. Most of the major gaming companies these days only do publishing -- they buy the rights to release a game from a smaller development company, slap their name on it, and ship it. Very few companies do both publishing AND developing of games. The three major exceptions I can think off are Konami (the Metal Gear series is done by a related but connected branch of the company in Japan), EA (which does their sports games in house under the EA Games brand) and Betheseda (the Elder Scroll games are developed in house).

If this works, I want my Laser Blast patch!

I never did get around to sending this in...

lb.jpg

Oh my God. Reminds me of the "house" I lived in as a kid (An old 1968 mobile home, a.k.a. "trailer") that had the EXACT same wood paneling. The TV even looks familiar. :-D

Oh my God. Reminds me of the "house" I lived in as a kid (An old 1968 mobile home, a.k.a. "trailer") that had the EXACT same wood paneling. The TV even looks familiar. :-D

70s were a strange time. My parents remodeled the downstairs rec room and covered up all the nice drywall with that paneling...while the entire upstairs got shag carpet over all the the beautiful hardwood floors.

Funny thing, I even have some pics of the remodel. I think most of my allowance went for film and processing back then.

• Like 1

While it's true, even the merest acknowledgement would have meant the world to me in this silly quest, it's really seeing all the support and fun messages from the people who still love these old games that's meant the most to me. "You just might find you get what you need", says the old boomer adage.

I wasn't even gonna comment, but this thread won't die, for better or worse. But does anyone else find it just a little bit silly that the expiration date for patches is in the letter... that they sent with the patches?

• Like 1

Atariage should have its own 'patch department' so to speak. They can pick up where Atari left off (um, like 30 years ago)...

Someone needs to be in charge of validating high scores, and reproductions of the patches needs to be done :P

I think it would be neat to see in the Atariage Store. You can buy a patch, but need to somehow prove your score :) The patches would be as close to the originals as possible.

If you can't prove your score, then the patch will be slightly different colored, and on the back, in tiny text, it will say YOU SUCK! (in Atari font ofc) :P It will also cost 3 times more.

Edited by kaz321123

• 3 months later...