IGNORED

TRS-80 / Tandy Photos thread !

Charlie_

attachicon.giftandy.jpg

attachicon.gifIMGP5366.jpg

…had a Coco 2 and a 100 portable way back when, but can't seem to find pics at the moment. Still have the Model III pictured, but am told it's no longer worth what I paid for it. Funny how that's always the case when you're wanting to sell. :ponder:

attachicon.giftrs.jpg

Nice! I'd love to have a model 3 someday.

Maybe it wasn't worth what you paid when you bought it? ;) :P

Hey Now!! I am sure it was worth it to him!

I spent around $3500.00 ( in 1983 to 1988 U.S. Dollars ) on upgrades to my original Apple ][e..

It was Worth It, in getting me into Computers and then Embedded Systems and then Robotics...

MarkO

• Like 1

I resurrected my Model III last month. My uncle bought it new in '81 to take care of his finances and it wasn't what he expected. I loved playing with it so he paid for me to go to a BASIC training course at the local Radio Shack computer center. Funny riding there on my bike at 12 years old and being in a class with 40+ year old business people. After passing that class, I then attended the Level II class. When I got my second certificate he told me to come by and pick up the computer...it was mine! I still have the books and certificates from those classes too.

Started off as a cassette based 16K system. I bought the technical reference manual and started to dig into it. First big mod was the RS232 board and 300 baud modem. I had to mow two lawns to pay for just one hour on Compuserve but it was well worth it...being "online" in '83 was beyond cool in a War Games sort of way. :) Next was upping it to 48K. Each 16K kit was $119.00 at their computer store but next door at the regular RS, the exact same 8 RAMs were $8.00 a set. Eventually I bought an aftermarket disk drive controller and installed double sided floppies. Also had an Orchestra 90 synthesiser.

In late '86 I bought a new Tandy 1000EX to take advantage of the massive BBS scene and the Model III didn't see much action anymore. Eventually a cap blew out in the power supply and it got put away.

It's stayed with me for the last 32 years. After many many hours of work and a new drive 0, it came to life a few weeks ago. I'll never let it go to hell again.

It was surreal firing it up with the last disk used and seeing the write dates of Aug. 1988. I even put new belts in the cassette deck and replaced all the capacitors to get it up and going. Some of my cassettes were corrupt but I was still able to load up many basic programs I wrote back in the day.

Found a site with probably 1,000+ programs and I've been downloading them with a null modem. Having just as much fun with it now as I did back in the day.

trs.jpg

• Like 4

Maybe it wasn't worth what you paid when you bought it? ;) :P

Could be and that would follow the pattern my luck. :( Oh well, guess I'll just hang on to the old girl until she's finally worth the big bucks again because I know as soon as I'd "sacrifice" it, prices will go through the roof shortly after. ;)

Here's one in really nice shape with extra goodies for $500

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RADIO-SHACK-TRS-80-MODEL-III-COMPUTER-SYSTEM-PROGRAMS-PRINTER-w-BOXES-/371304462385?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5673787831

One for fitty bux starting with a crazy key config and hardly tested:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RADIO-SHACK-TRS-80-MODEL-III-COMPUTER-SYSTEM-/351372288832?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51cf6ba340

A shit one that sold for $225 and doesn't work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RADIO-SHACK-TRS-80-MODEL-III-MICRO-COMPUTER-NO-26-1065-DOES-NOT-POWER-UP-F460-/351370939494?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51cf570c66

Nice one that sold for $250:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRS-80-Model-III-Computer-/131477663276?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e9cadee2c

…and a couple others that looked like they didn't work for between $60-$80. So yeah, seems as if these are still worth about what I paid. Plus shipping no less!

• Like 2

That's a tasty looking CoCo1 rig there. And it has such good artifact color! Mine's all screwed up and displays pink/green instead of orange/blue.

I have two 64K coco1 computers. Both of them will display pink / green on some displays. Normally when it does this and you hit reset to attempt a color swap, if it swaps it displays black and white. However, I have also seen red / blue and when you hit reset to attempt a color swap it goes pink / green. I guess it is pot luck getting a display to work properly with a coco1. The Hitachi in the photo works just right. I do have to keep the color way down though or the orange is way too strong. The coco2 and 3 computers I have don't have this issue.

• 3 weeks later...

The current Color Computer 3 setup. This one has an old Performance Peripherals 512K upgrade. Multipak is fixed for COCO3 and has the IRQ lines tied together.(I think that's what the mod is) Behind the Sound / Speech pak is a FD-501 disk controller. The drives are 360K generic models that *CLANK!* whenever they are accessed. CM-8 RGB monitor I purchased when I was in my teens. :)

post-322-0-16996900-1430580219_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I resurrected my Model III last month...

Having just as much fun with it now as I did back in the day.

trs.jpg

You know, back 'in the day', the TRS-80 seemed large on a desk, now day's it seems tiny setting next to a modern monitor.

I loved your story and especially the pooter sitting among modern equipment READY FOR ACTION.

It's not, "Game over player one" for that machine! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Unfortunately I don't have any kind of permanent setup for any of my systems or computers. I just hook them up as I use them. Certainly no room for all the peripherals like disk drives, MPI's, cassette players, etc. Now that I have a CocoSDC (which I still haven't tried, need to buy a new SD card) I can create a permanent space because of the smaller footprint required for such a setup.