IGNORED

21"+ monitor, vertical orientation for programming

[ Apologies in advance, this isn't an Atari related message, but it is to help me do some Atari programming ]

I am looking for a monitor which can be set to a vertical orientation for programming. I don't want to mount it on a wall, just on the stand that it is supplied with.

I want it to be a minimum of 21 inches in size and needs to be able to do a high resolution, 1920x1080 (or 1080x1920 perhaps in this case!).

I'm not looking for anything brand new as I do not have enough cash. It needs to be the kind of thing I might get off eBay for less than AU$100 or £50 or US$75. So I guess it may be an older model.

I do not need touch screen technology, it doesn't have to have a fancy name, just be cheap and meet the above requirements.

Any model suggestions anybody?

Edited by snicklin

Thank you all for your assistance. I'd done some research and didn't really come to a conclusion.

However, thank you Pirx. In your video it showed a Syncmaster screen. The missus had got one from a garage sale (the Syncmaster 245b Plus) and I didn't realise that it would pivot until I saw this:

http://notevenwater.blogspot.com.au/2008/01/how-to-rotate-samsung-syncmaster-245bw_15.html

So now I am all sorted... this vertical orientation will take some getting used to though.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your assistance. I'd done some research and didn't really come to a conclusion.

However, thank you Pirx. In your video it showed a Syncmaster screen. The missus had got one from a garage sale (the Syncmaster 245b Plus) and I didn't realise that it would pivot until I saw this:

http://notevenwater.blogspot.com.au/2008/01/how-to-rotate-samsung-syncmaster-245bw_15.html

So now I am all sorted... this vertical orientation will take some getting used to though.

A Samsung 245B is a great monitor, I have several myself and I'm sure you'll be very pleased using it. Be prepared for bad electrolytic caps in the PSU, though. When they go bad they usually take out other components. The 245B Plus has a PSU that's particularly tricky to fix, where repairing a 245B is an easy piece of cake.

re-atari

A Samsung 245B is a great monitor, I have several myself and I'm sure you'll be very pleased using it.

I hope so! I'm not an electronics person so I won't be fixing it if it goes wrong, it'll go straight to the dump.

It is taking some getting used to in vertical orientation. The setup is now fine but I've had to adjust my seat to be higher (I'm 6'0" or 1m85) so I am slightly on the tall side but even then I find myself looking up a lot and it is uncomfortable for my back and neck. Does anyone have any tips for coping with/adjusting to this?

• 1 month later...

(My apologies for hijacking this old thread. But I am at least bringing it into more relevancy for Atari 8-bits/5200s. ;))

I went with a 4:3 ratio (1600x1200) screen and rotated it. The 16:9 and 16:10 screens just don't work for me. I really like the dell 2007fp. Bonus is the composite and svideo inputs in addition to VGA and DVI.

I have been considering getting one of these for my Atari 8-bits since I found out about it in the past few days. It seems to be the last 4:3 monitor that has composite/s-video and is S-IPS or S-PVA (see below), to boot! Have you hooked your Atari up to it? If so, how is its composite and s-video quality for the Atari? Any ghosting/smearing/distortion in action games? Are fast fine-scrolling games and text smooth scrolling (no jitter/judder)? I was a little concerned due to the 16ms typical response time and the Faraudja video processor (which handles scaling/colour conversion/de-interlacing).

Apparently, they mostly fixed colour banding issues with this monitor with newer firmware (A02) a few months after release which turns off the Faraudja in "Desktop" mode, but not "Gaming" and "Multimedia" modes, which still had the original banding after the initial fix. I can't find any information about the newer firmwares and whether they help more with banding in any of the modes, or any other changes. A05 is the latest revision I can find -- it was released prior to August 2007, and was supposedly not much different than A04, released prior to March 2007. The firmware revision can be found in the white sticker with black writing in the bottom left of the back of the monitor. Also, the serial number is located there, above the revision, and if it ends in L, the monitor has an LG S-IPS panel, and if it ends in S, it has a Samsung S-PVA panel. S-IPS panels have a shorter input lag (although not as short as TN panels, which have the poorest quality), which is important for fast games, as the longer the input lag, the longer it takes for each frame to be displayed. It's like looking at stars in the sky that have already gone supernova years ago -- the spaceship has already moved in the time it's taken for the monitor to display the frame that shows its old location. S-PVA panels have a longer input lag due to overdriving the display, in order to match S-IPS's pixel response time. Of course, CRTs, being analog, don't have any input lag at all.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have good PAL support for old computers/consoles (which do not have video signals 100% in-spec -- often nowhere close to 100%, like with our Ataris), in contrast to the 2000FP/2001FP/2005FPW (last model is widescreen). There are, however, some tricks that worked for one person in this thread, which might work for PAL Ataris.

Edited by pedalpowered

This is not the 1st time I have run across statements to the effect that Atari did make within spec video output. I believe it. It makes me lose a little bit of respect for them. Comes across to me as a lame, chincy shortcut instead of doing the job right.

This is not the 1st time I have run across statements to the effect that Atari did make within spec video output. I believe it. It makes me lose a little bit of respect for them. Comes across to me as a lame, chincy shortcut instead of doing the job right.

Nobody did at first- everyone cheated (for example, when the Amiga put out a real interlaced TV signal that could be gen-locked it was kind of a big deal). TV's were analog and very tolerant of minor deviations from the standard, so the only objective was to make it work since making it to spec would have greatly increased the transistor count/cost of the chips.

Now that everything's digital, some TV chips look for everything to be in its exact place or they freak out.

• Like 1

I don't have the model number handy and while it doesn't have a vertical mount/stand (I'm sure there is a solution to be had) it's a 24" Insignia TV that does 1080p at $140 which I think is a hell of a deal for the space available at your disposal. It's insane how incredibly inexpensive this stuff has gotten recently.