IGNORED

Best Saturn to buy?

Any will do, but figure out what region games you plan on playing more of. Unless you plan on installing a mod chip, you will need something like a Game Shark or Action Replay to play games from a different region. So, if you are going to do US games more, buy a USA system. If you are going to play more imports, but a Japanese system (although I'd personally take the US console + Action Replay route, but some people complain about the menu you are forced to go through before loading the game). No model available as far as I am aware has shown to be more reliable than another. Although, I do prefer the model 2, the one with the round buttons instead of the oval ones. It's a small detail but I like the look of that more.

• Like 1

You can buy pre-modded consoles from Sega Style. Their prices are pretty reasonable and they do good work.

http://www.segastyle.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50

They're out of stock at the moment, but they seem to have them on a regular basis. Shoot them an email to see when they expect more stock.

Edited by goldenegg
  • Like 1

I usually buy my gaming systems modded, so when I picked up a Sega Saturn, I got a modded one so that I could play the American and foreign releases. To me, it is well worth the extra money so that I don't have to worry about memory issues...

The only system I have yet to buy a modded version of is the original Xbox. Does anyone know a reputable place to get one?

The best Saturn to buy is any you can get your hands on.

I usually buy my gaming systems modded, so when I picked up a Sega Saturn, I got a modded one so that I could play the American and foreign releases. To me, it is well worth the extra money so that I don't have to worry about memory issues...

How difficult is it for you to change a battery?

Outrun on the Sega Ages compilation we got, or the standalone import?

I think the issue is specifically with the Japanese title.

I have a model 2 Saturn with the Japanese standalone title. There are no problems that I am aware of. I was just playing it a couple weeks ago, too.

I have not tried the compilation discs, but I can't imagine there would be problems with that, either.

From doing a search tonight, there were at least two printings of Outrun, each with a different identification code. The reissue has the problem fixed, apparently. So I assume that's what you have, if this is even accurate. If not, not difficult to imagine there being being a fairly rare model 2 Saturn, without this compatibility issue present.

Never heard of any compatibility issues with the Sega Ages compilation in the West, nor the two Sega Memorial Collections from Japan with some of their early arcade classics like Monaco GP. Also never heard of it striking any of the other standalone Japanese Sega Ages releases like Galaxy Force II and Afterburner II.

Not sure of any other Saturn titles that may have issues. If it wasn't a Sega arcade port or a classic compilation and the like, I probably wasn't paying any attention to it.

Edited by Atariboy

The best Saturn to buy is any you can get your hands on.

How difficult is it for you to change a battery?

On Saturn? Pop back cover off, pop battery out, pop new one in. The small space may be hard to work in if you have big hands but it's far easier than replacing one in a DC or Gamecube.

I don't find the menu that cumbersome. It's literally just a few seconds. A model 2 Saturn has best compatibility with modchips, too. I love my little Saturn collection, but for games like Panzer Dragoon Saga, I'm 100% fine with burned copies.

You can play burned copies on a Saturn? How do you do that? I have the action replay so I can play import games, even though I have none right now.

Good advice in here, I have a chipped model 2 that I bought CIB years ago, but considering the form factor of JP games, I picked up a white JP Saturn as well to avoid having to use the AR. Not a big difference either way. It's one of those systems I never got into when it was out (I had a PSX), but there are some excellent games and a great import library as well. Great system for 2D fans.

Is modchipping something I can do or something i would have to send my system to someone else to do? I would LOVE to play some games on my saturn, but don't have that type of money to buy games that are 100 or higher a game. ie, I love shmups

Depends on how well you are at soldering. You will probably want to track down a tutorial to see if it's something you think you will be able to do on your own.