IGNORED

Assigning rarity to Intv homebrews

Rev

All homebrews are obviously UR (ultra rare) compared to the classic releases.

btw. all Groovybee games are announced as "cart only" games (whenever they will be released)

I will adjust groovys when time comes.

Yes, compared to original, they are all rare.

Could they be assigned rarity compared only to each other?

Edited by revolutionika

I will adjust groovys when time comes.

Yes, compared to original, they are all rare.

Could they be assigned rarity compared only to each other?

If they are all rare compared to the original games, I'd think only comparing them to each other would be the right way to go.

FWIW, internally at least, INTV Funhouse uses 'HB' for rarity in its internal bookkeeping for new releases. As others point out, a separate system is really needed, even though for the most part, the same criteria are involved in defining rarity.

As I see it, "rarity" is really a shorthand for a combination of things:

• Number produced
  • Number sold
  • Availability (distribution)
  • Current demand (tons of things go into that!)

IMO, any assigned rarity is a snapshot in time. (To wit, the occasional poking-of-fun at older rarity guides still out there on the web.) There are truly scarce items like test and demo carts not intended for public sale, but that's a different story. And the numbers and availability items in the above list could be combined into scarcity, perhaps.

New titles are produced in such limited runs as a matter of necessity (economies of scale, risk, etc.), which constraints 'number produced'. That factor will increase 'rarity' *as long as there is demand*.

The appeal of popular titles, e.g. D*K, Ms. Pac-Man, 4-Tris, lies not only with their quality, but also because they're "high-profile" -- i.e. highly recognizable even outside the core Intellivision audience. The pool of potentially interested parties is larger. Some people collect a particular game and all the variations / clones on all platforms, for example. Such circumstances also increase demand.

The higher the number sold, the greater the downward pressure on rarity, but the breaking point really is when that number along with the *availability* is close to, or exceeds, current demand.

So when we talk about the rarity of new releases, what we're trying to pin down is current demand relative to these other criteria. There are quite a few titles floating around that don't get much attention, but in an empirical sense may be just as difficult to find as Stonix or 4-Tris.

• Like 1

Great idea.

I agree with Jason, could be nice to have the number. For exemple, we know how many homebrews were sold for the first Intelligentivion games (100, 150 or 250), etc.

After, we could rate H1 for a Homebrew easy to buy or trade (e.g., Minehunter by Elektronite) and H10 for something really hard to find and to buy (e.g., Robot...). What do you think ?

Intelligentivsion

4-Tris = 100 copies (numbered)

Minehunter = 150 (numbered)

Stronix = 250 (numbered)

SameGame & Robots = 100 (numbered)

Etc...

Hmmm, what's the easiest to find (least rare) homebrew?

I'm thinking:

high production numbers + underwhelming sales + still available = Elektronite Minehunter :)

D2K is another one that is far from rare. Great game and high demand (partially due to reasons beyond it being a great port), but super high sales for an Intellivision homebrew. I have a bunch of them :D

Rarest? Robot Rubble and League of Light have to be up there. 4-Tris due to high demand and collectibility. Deep Pockets due to low production numbers.

I'm heading to Phoenix soon, but maybe I'll try to put a list together to rank the rarity of the homebrews. Or....let's all do it and compare notes :grin:

The two white box Tetris each had around 30 I believe. Joe would know best

I believe 4-Tris Standard Edition (released from the same batch of boards as PhillyClassic) is actually the rarest of the 4T variations. Its total board count was in the mid-to-upper 20s, IIRC. And 4TPC was slightly higher, ironically. I don't remember the exact numbers, but this is in the ballpark.

As I recall, I did the board run as a "prototype run," which maxed out at 60 boards at the shop I used. Some of the boards, however, were socketed test boards that were used for subsequent development, and there were a couple boards lost to yield loss.

• Like 2

I believe 4-Tris Standard Edition (released from the same batch of boards as PhillyClassic) is actually the rarest of the 4T variations. Its total board count was in the mid-to-upper 20s, IIRC. And 4TPC was slightly higher, ironically. I don't remember the exact numbers, but this is in the ballpark.

As I recall, I did the board run as a "prototype run," which maxed out at 60 boards at the shop I used. Some of the boards, however, were socketed test boards that were used for subsequent development, and there were a couple boards lost to yield loss.

Wow! Cool info!

So it sounds like 50-55 odd copies of these two versions exist. Cool. I'd say the rarity/prices for all homebrews should be determined relative to these these two. Or D2K on the other end of the number of copies produced scale