IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

Send me the ebay completed listing price for each game you want to play and then you can enjoy it.

:lolblue: I do enjoy the good ones regardless of how I play them, and some I emulate on my Xbox as I wouldn't pay the price,' then' OR 'now' (stuff like Cadash springs to mind, I don't even mean Magical Chase type nonsense). It's my tolerance/interest level that seems to take a hit on flash carts....it's like I am at the buffet or something as opposed to a proper restaurant. I just get to samplin' and 40 minutes later I've played 7 games.

As long as the games are getting played and enjoyed, it doesn't matter how you do it. I subscribe to several retro game collectors channels on YouTube. It appears that some folks are so laser focused on building a full collection of cartridges, that they lose sight of the purpose of these carts in the first place. Collecting for the NES comes to mind, where thousands of dollars can be spent on Stadium Events, which by all accounts isn't even a very fun game to play. At least the Shmups on the turbografx are fun.

Absolutely. I tend to collect TO play, on systems I really love or connect with (Turbo/NES/7800), but also emulate and use flash carts in a probably somewhat equal measure.

• Like 2

:lolblue: I do enjoy the good ones regardless of how I play them, and some I emulate on my Xbox as I wouldn't pay the price,' then' OR 'now' (stuff like Cadash springs to mind, I don't even mean Magical Chase type nonsense). It's my tolerance/interest level that seems to take a hit on flash carts....it's like I am at the buffet or something as opposed to a proper restaurant. I just get to samplin' and 40 minutes later I've played 7 games.

Absolutely. I tend to collect TO play, on systems I really love or connect with (Turbo/NES/7800), but also emulate and use flash carts in a probably somewhat equal measure.

I can totally feel you on this argument. For instance, just last year, I purchased a modded Turbo Duo (CIB), and an Everdrive for it. So, you know, I spent some decent cash on that all said. But, I had the great rationale that I wouldn't need to buy anything ever again for the TG-16/PC Engine. It was an all in one shot, potentially saving me thousands of dollars, and there's no question about that.

Anyway, I get my Duo and Everdrive loaded with every game, and I spend a few minutes checking out games one at a time. I messed around with it for a few days, only spending maybe 30 minutes max each session, and then eventually I put the thing away. Having all the games at once was a little overwhelming, but also for me, not having the case or the actual game just sucked alot of the fun out of the experience. I'm so used to having the real thing, that having all the games on some little device is so FAKE.

I have no urges to buy TG-16 games, but I also have no urges to play them right now. Although it's great that anytime I feel like it, I can play any Turbo game I want, it just might not be as fun as I want.

• Like 3

That's been my problem with everdrive/powerpak/flash kits.

The problem always pops up. You can put whatever you want on there, and it has 0 cents of value. For me if I have nothing invested in a game, I have no reason other than in passing to invest any time in it while I have other stuff I have paid for unfinished past, present or future. I find I'll throw a 100 games or a whole NES library on something of the sort, and I'll get all ADD stupid about it. I'll look it over, get overwhelmed, confused, not sure what to pick. If I don't flip it off and fire up something I'm good for 5minutes maybe 15, but then I'm onto the next or just then get overwhelmed and shut it off. I'll come back, farther and farther apart, and then I sell it off. I've had 2 powerpaks, 3 gba kits over the last decade and all the same. Before that I did have an old LPT BUNG 64M device for GB/SuperGB and that since it has very very limited capacity I did use quite a lot more, but also because back in the mid/later 90s emulators just sucked for being incomplete in a lot of ways so that was a factor too.

I fence sat this year plus being short on $ at the time too helped, but I did not get the Everdrive X5 GBA I wanted. I knew I'd have that problem, or I'd fall back to what I did on the last EZF4 I had -- Emulation city. GBA has a stunning amount of emulators that run even TG16 CDS in ISO format along with the HuCards correctly, Pocket NES, Goomba Color(for all things GB+GBC), and more if you're into GG, SMS, Coleco, early 80s arcade too. It's a wicked on the go option for so much stuff at a pretty low price. And yet, I didn't grab it with those black friday week sales when it's like 25% off, the only time they're on sale.

• Like 3

I feel like I went a bit overboard.

Nah

20170319 081723

Actually all the US TG16 games and the TG16 console itself I already had before I started collecting the other stuff. The CD unit and all japanese stuff I've aquired over the last 4 or 5 months.

BTW, I ordered the Telegames HuCard converter from the UK, and it works on EVERYTHING. All games, all system cards. It works with SFII as well.

I ordered a PC Henshin and it has some issues with certain things. Live and learn! It's still a decent adapter.

Edited by Turbokid77

What issues you have with the PC Henshin, and is it the PRO version with the logic chip? Mine lacks the chip (only good for playing imports on a TG-16) and it works flawlessly with Everdrive v1.1 (If I decide for some reason to flip the switch to PCE mode) and SFII. Someone else mentioned they had issues getting their SFII to work, but I wonder if their contacts were dirty or it was some other reason.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/237235-the-official-turbografx-16-thread/?p=3682402

What issues you have with the PC Henshin, and is it the PRO version with the logic chip? Mine lacks the chip (only good for playing imports on a TG-16) and it works flawlessly with Everdrive v1.1 (If I decide for some reason to flip the switch to PCE mode) and SFII. Someone else mentioned they had issues getting their SFII to work, but I wonder if their contacts were dirty or it was some other reason.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/237235-the-official-turbografx-16-thread/?p=3682402

Yeah, that was me.

I have the pro version with the logic chip on it. It refuses to work with SF2 and system cards. However the telegames adapter works beautifully. I haven't seen anything it won't handle, yet. I think I'm going to ebay the Henshin. I wish I would have known about that little quirk before I bought it.

Yeah, that was me.

I have the pro version with the logic chip on it. It refuses to work with SF2 and system cards. However the telegames adapter works beautifully. I haven't seen anything it won't handle, yet. I think I'm going to ebay the Henshin. I wish I would have known about that little quirk before I bought it.

Yeah I think the Pro chip interferes with the bidirectional bus as I predicted. All other PCe Hucards without the bubble tops should work fine however.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

So I had to dip into the Turbografx / PC Engine territory again recently after deciding to snag the direct sequel to one of my favorite games on NES. Also being a Splatterhouse & Castlevania fan, I'm thinking of getting a Duo and a few titles that interest me for the collection. I may have to end up trading a few high end items play this and other games on the original hardware, but, I feel like it might be worth it.

17457335_1614169458613030_44769223329120

Try to get a Japanese version for Splatterhouse... I got a CIB version for 25$... Not sure that would even get your thse loose US one :D

I'd love to have both as the mask variation is definitely neat, as well as the removal of the cross. And yeah, the CIB version of Splatterhouse in the US seems to be getting even pricier, hehe

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah.. I still would rather play my real Duo but it aint worth it for me either when it comes to just those games. Strider isn't a good port, and if I want to play Sapphire or any of the others, emulation (e.g. via the original xbox) works fine enough.

I stupidly bought a lot of the fighting games not realizing I'd need the arcade card. I was like "look at these cheap fighting games! Nice!" Whoops.

Wow that pile of Duo stuff, now that brings back memories. Sometimes I start to get weak and look at the systems on ebay and waffle on trigger pulling but thankfully I always pull back (which is a shame too as it's like the best non Nintendo/Sega non-3D box of the 90s far as I'm concerned.)

• Like 1

Very new to this site, hoping for help. I have a Turbo Duo that I decided to play the other day and I popped Forgotten Worlds in but there was no sound. Same results with any of my cd's. I looked around on line and found that more than likely I have a number of bad capacitors. I got a bit scared when I heard leaking capacitors can damage the board.

I decided to take mine apart and have a look. I have an American model. The first thing I did was unsolder the black and white ground wires that are soldered to the two tabs that bend to hold the metal chassis in place. I then removed the screws and unsoldered the chassis from the joystick port. Last solder was to the black ground from the cd to the board. I popped off the connectors from the board to the CD player.

I couldn't see anything obvious other than some discolored solder points. I decided to order a capacitor kit but in the meantime I thought I would just assemble it and play while waiting for the caps. I soldered the black and white wires lower on the chassis for easier removal and soldered the other wire from the CD to the board. Put the metal chassis back on and buttoned it up.

I plugged it in and got nothing. I checked for voltage out of the transformer and it's dead. It's got a weird plug which I cut off and did a quick connect to another power source but it's only 9v. I thought it should at least power up the light but no. I'm getting a full 9v to the board which drops to 8.5 when powered on which tells me the switch is working.

Any idea what I did wrong? I may have killed my system. I'm still going to try the cap replacement but do any of those caps have anything to do with powering the system up?

Hope someone can help me.

Video is plugged in? No cracked solder on the video jack? Put a CD on it, turn the console on, push the CD lid switch to trick it into thinking the lid is down, press RUN on the controller. If it spins, you got an issue with video cable or connector. If it doesn't spin, it's somewhere else.

This forum www.pcenginefx.com/forums/ would be much better for asking for repair help but they are slow to approve new members because of spam bots.

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking of getting a PCE in the future. Is there any advantage to getting a DUO-R/RX over a recapped regular DUO? Besides being slightly younger and the position of the AV port, I can't find any reason to get either late model over the original DUO as long as it's been recapped.

The Everdrive would free me from ebay prices on Hucards, leaving CD games as the only expense. It looks like many (not all) of the desireable CD games aren't much different from the average Japanese Saturn prices. Has anyone ever bought from this page? They seem like legit repros of games that are crazy expensive on ebay. I don't know how they get away with it legally.

https://pceworks.wordpress.com/