IGNORED

Why I got back into collecting ColecoVision...

TPR

So I went back to my TV tonight to look at the options, because you're right I had totally forgotten about all the different settings, and interestingly enough, under HDMI I didn't have an option for 4:3 aspect ratio. I had "normal", "zoom", and "stretch", then of course comparing that to the native RGB mode. So I took some screen shots to compare. I'd love to get other people's feedback on this because I'm really on the fence about what I think looks better. Take a look:

Here's Pac-Man Collection side by side with all the different options. For my HDMI pics, the VGA cable is coming out of the F18A mod into an HDMI converter (see previous page for brand and type) and then into my HDTV.

Left to right is: HDMI normal. HDMI stretched. HDMI zoomed. Native RGB mode. (Right out of the CV and into the TV)

attachicon.gifpacman_hdmi_normal.jpg attachicon.gifpacman_hdmi_stretched.jpg attachicon.gifpacman_hdmi_zoomed.jpg attachicon.gifpacman_rgb.jpg

Clearly the zoomed and stretched versions look terrible, but I'm on the fence about the HDMI vs. RGB, especially with Juice's new HDMI mod, which I'm interested in, but I'm not sure about now... Here's a few other games we are more used to seeing:

HDMI on the left. RGB on the right. The HDMI version is with my TV's "normal" setting.

attachicon.gifmrdo_hdmi.jpg attachicon.gifmrdo_rgb.jpg

attachicon.gifdk_hdmi.jpg attachicon.gifdk_rgb.jpg

Take Donkey Kong for example. The left hand version is what we have been used to seeing since 1982. But could it be that we've just been looking at a stretched out, fatter version of the game this whole time when it's really meant to be a bit narrower? Same thing with Mr. Do. Here's another look at a brand new game:

attachicon.gifboxxle_hdmi.jpg attachicon.gifboxxle_rgb.jpg

While I like both of them, and the HDMI output is light years better than the RF or even an A/V mod, I think I'm starting to lean towards the look of the RGB mod, even though it doesn't fill up the entire screen. The TV I'm running in my office right now is a 22" Vizio M220VA. I'm planning to upgrade to a bigger screen towards the end of the year, and I notice that a lot of newer TV's don't even have an RGB input. Do newer screens allow for the HDMI settings to emulate the 4:3 aspect ratio?

Here's one more look comparing both the RGB & HDMI along with the AV mod:

HDMI on the left, AV in the middle, RGB on the right:

attachicon.gifmoon_hdmi.jpg attachicon.gifmoon_av.jpg attachicon.gifmoon_vga.jpg

Clearly the AV version is losing the battle here, but as for the other two... What are your thoughts? The wider HDMI version or the narrower RGB? I really can't decide!

I like all your native VGA pics. This is how I've been using my F18a for a few years. Glad my TV has VGA input :)

I know what one of my next projects is going to be..... Making one of these wireless for the CV. I love the layout of this and it looks like it should have room for a small 3.7V LiPo rechargeable battery, small micro controller and transmitter pcb..

post-41816-0-42432500-1445020791_thumb.j

Has anyone used a Jaguar controller? This looks like it would also make a good wireless controller for the CV

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

And the games from Taiwan, Flappe Byrd box art was inspired by them.

Going back and reading the Flappee Byrd box, in a way I'm bummed they didn't make the text have all sorts of random typos and use some absurd words that have little to do with the game! lol

image1.JPG

So here's a small but kind of important update to my F18A > HDMI posts I made earlier. If you missed those, you can read them HERE and HERE!

To bring you up to speed, about a month or so ago I picked up a ColecoVision with the F18A chip installed from Chart45 and I was absolutely blown away by it! It really changes the look of the ColecoVision on screen by getting rid of the all the sprite flicker and also creating a much richer more colorful looking image without taking away the retro feel of the system. If you read the posts I linked to above, you can see how super impressed I was with it.

The only issue was that using the HDMI converter that I had bought to go from VGA > HDMI stretched the screen out to 16:9 and I wasn't happy with those results.

Well, today I'm happy to report that the stretching issue absolutely was due to the HDMI converter I was using, and a new one I picked up keeps the original 4:3 aspect ratio in the HDMI mode and looks FANTASTIC! Now, I still recommend going directly VGA but in the case that your TV might not support it, or if you're looking for an HDMI solution, I think this is something you should consider! First, let's take a look at some screen shots (and you might want to click the images to see the bigger versions):

Here is what Pac Man Collection looks like going from the VGA output of the F18A to the VGA input on my TV:

pacman_VGA.jpg

Without the F18A board installed, those ghosts would flicker because they are reaching the max amount of sprites on one scanline, but with the F18A board, you don't get any of that! (See the video below)

Here is what it looks like using the new HDMI converter:

pacman_HDMI.jpg

Here is what it looked like using the OLD HDMI converter that stretched the screen:

pacman_hdmi_stretch.jpg

Clearly you can see the difference between the output of the two HDMI converters above, but let's take a closer look at the newer HDMI converter versus the VGA input:

pacman_HDMI_left_VGA_right.jpg

It's really, REALLY close! The VGA version still looks a *little* better and the colors are richer, but if need to go HDMI, I think this is a very good solution!

Here is all three side-by-side. The image on the far right is with the HDMI converter that stretched the screen. IMO, it just doesn't look good:

pacman_allthree.jpg

So here is the new converter that I bought and you can find it on eBay here for $27: http://www.ebay.com/itm/310638984846 and on Amazon here for $23: http://www.amazon.com/Vktech%C2%AE-Audio-Converter-Adapter-Scaler/dp/B016OLXZ00/ That seems like a pretty good deal for what captures the original VGA version of the output VERY well. It's hard for me to even tell the difference between the VGA and the HDMI output on the screen.

IMG_8039.JPG IMG_8040.JPG IMG_8043.JPG

Below is the original converter that I bought which does in fact take your VGA input and then auto-stretch it to 16:9 with no way to change it back to the original 4:3 output from the F18A board:

IMG_8038.JPG

So when looking for a VGA > HDMI converter, and I've seen a ton of them appear on eBay and Amazon, you want one that looks like this:

IMG_8039.JPG

NOT THIS ONE:

IMG_8038_2.jpg

I have no idea of this auto-stretch thing is common or uncommon among VGA>HDMI converters, but all I know is that I'd prefer to have a converter that does NOT upscale to 16:9 and allows me to do it myself via the TV controls if I want to make the screen wide or not.

And the best news is that Matthew now has F18A boards back in stock! He posted about it HERE and Grips03 has posted that he will do an install service for it HERE.

I've just been so impressed with how great the F18A looks (and I know this is old news for a lot of you), but to anyone that doesn't have this mod done yet, it's simply the best I've ever seen a ColecoVision look, and now there is an HDMI solution for it, too!

And one more time for good measure, he's the video that shows with and without the F18A installed. The difference is just amazing!

• Like 5

Oh man, this is outstanding... Just bought the F18A today... You should throw in an image of the pacman collection screen without f18a in rf, and coax next to the vga, old hdmi and new hdmi, would really show the major difference... just a thought ;) Also... Looks like the same hdmi converter is on amazon for a tad less:

http://www.amazon.com/Vktech%C2%AE-Audio-Converter-Adapter-Scaler/dp/B016OLXZ00/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1445555624&sr=8-1&keywords=SVGA+VGA+%2B+RCA+Audio+to+HDTV+HDMI+1080p+Converter+Adapter+Scaler+Box+HD+-Black

Gotta Love the Manual ...."Loving it is easy, that's why so many people do" ... That'll have to be my update today...

Those HDMI converters are such a crap shoot. Glad you found one that doesn't auto-stretch. :thumbsup:

I agree. After going through a couple of them now, I think it makes a lot of sense to keep the HDMI conversion external because a lot of the converters seem to be cheap Chinese crap. At least I found one that seems to do what I want it to do, and if this one dies on me, it's easy to at least replace it with another one.

Also... Looks like the same hdmi converter is on amazon for a tad less:

http://www.amazon.com/Vktech%C2%AE-Audio-Converter-Adapter-Scaler/dp/B016OLXZ00/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1445555624&sr=8-1&keywords=SVGA+VGA+%2B+RCA+Audio+to+HDTV+HDMI+1080p+Converter+Adapter+Scaler+Box+HD+-Black

Gotta Love the Manual ...."Loving it is easy, that's why so many people do" ... That'll have to be my update today...

I know! I totally LOLed when I saw that! Glad you found it slightly cheaper on Amazon. I did a search their earlier for "VGA to HDMI converter" and "scaler" and after a bunch of pages of not seeing it, I gave up. I'll add that link to my post above so people have some options.

You should throw in an image of the pacman collection screen without f18a in rf, and coax next to the vga, old hdmi and new hdmi, would really show the major difference...

How's this?

Left to right: AV Mod - F18A via VGA - F18A via HDMI (no stretch) - F18A via HDMI (stretched)

post-41816-0-18865400-1443756180.jpg pacman_VGA.jpg pacman_HDMI.jpg pacman_hdmi_stretch.jpg

Next time I hook up my CV with the AV mod, I'll do a shot of Pac-Man so it's more of a true comparison. But this should give you an idea of the difference.

Today was a very exciting day for me! I got in the very last cart I needed to complete my collection of released games! So I now have one copy of every game that was ever officially released for the ColecoVision and while most of them are loose carts, many of them are CIB. While I know this isn't that big of a deal to many people who have been collecting a while and have had a complete collection for a very long time, I only just started collecting in March and was pretty happy to at least get this far this quickly!

Here it is! The very last cart I needed! The Robin Hood/Sir Lancelot Double Ender!

doubleender2.jpg

Now I will say this cart needed a little bit of help, as it started off looking like this:

doubleender1.jpg

And thanks to Kamshaft for the re-production label, I can now post a nice before/after photo:

sidebyside.jpg

And of course thanks to Pixelboy for the scan of his label. I think for this cart I didn't mind having a re-production label since in a way I feel like the Double Enders are a bit of a cop-out, I mean, I had those two games as loose carts anyway, so now I just have them again. But, it was a released game, so I counted it.

And because I'm still on my kick of wanting to show off how good the F18A board looks compared to an AV mod, here are the two games side by side with both options:

Robin Hood:

robinhood_F18A.jpg robinhood_AV.jpg

Sir Lancelot:

sirlancelot_F18A.jpg sirlancelot_AV.jpg

Here is my complete list:

1. 2010
2. Activision Decathalon
3. Alcazar
4. Alphabet Zoo
5. Amazing Bumpman
6. Antarctic Adventure
7. Aquaattack
8. Artillery Duel
9. Artillery Duel/Chuck Norris Double Ender
10. BC's Quest For Tires
11. BC's Quest For Tires II
12. Beamrider
13. Blockade Runner
14. Boulder Dash
15. Brain Strainers
16. Buck Rogers
17. Bump N Jump
18. Burgertime
19. Cabbage Patch Adventures in the Park
20. Cabbage Patch Picture Show
21. Campaign 84
22. Carnival
23. Centipede
24. Choplifter
25. Chuck Norris
26. Congo Bongo
27. Cosmic Avenger
28. Cosmic Crisis
29. Dam Busters
30. Dance Fantasy
31. Defender
32. Destructor
33. Donkey Kong
34. Donkey Kong Junior
35. Dr. Seuss Fix Up The Mix Up Puzzler
36. Dragonfire
37. Dukes of Hazzard
38. Evolution
39. Facemaker
40. Fathom
41. Flipper Slipper
42. Fortune Builder
43. Fraction Fever
44. Frantic Freddy
45. Frenzy
46. Frogger
47. Frogger II
48. Front Line
49. Galaxian
50. Gateway to Apshai
51. Gorf
52. Gust Buster
53. Gyruss
54. Heist
55. HERO
56. Illusions
57. It's Only Rock N Roll
58. James Bond 007
59. Jukebox
60. Jumpman Junior
61. Jungle Hunt
62. Ken Huston Blackjack/Poker
63. Keystone Kapers
64. Lady Bug
65. Learning with Leaper
66. Linking Logic
67. Logic Levels
68. Looping
69. Memory Manor
70. Meteoric Shower
71. Miner 2049er
72. Monkey Academy
73. Montezuma's Revenge
74. Moonsweeper
75. Motocross Racer
76. Motocross Racer/Tomarc Double Ender
77. Mountain King
78. Mouse Trap
79. Mr. Do!
80. Mr. Do!'s Castle
81. Nova Blast
82. Oil's Well
83. Omega Race
84. One-On-One
85. Pepper II
86. Pitfall II
87. Pitfall!
88. Pitstop
89. Popeye
90. Q*Bert
91. Q*Bert's Qubes
92. Quest for Qintana Roo
93. River Raid
94. Robin Hood
95. Robin Hood/Sir Lancelot Double Ender
96. Rock N Bolt
97. Roc N Rope
98. Rocky
99. Rolloverture
100. Root Beer Tapper
101. Sammy Lightfoot
102. Sector Alpha
103. Sewer Sam
104. Sir Lancelot
105. Skiing
106. Slither
107. Slurpy
108. Smurf Paint N Play
109. Smurf Rescue
110. Space Fury
111. Space Panic
112. Spectron
113. Spy Hunter
114. Squish 'Em
115. Star Trek
116. Star Wars
117. Strike It
118. Subroc
119. Super Action Baseball
120. Super Action Football
121. Super Action Football (Soccer)
122. Super Cobra
123. Super Crossforce
124. Super Sketch
125. Tank War
126. Tarzan
127. Telly Turtle
128. Threshold
129. Time Pilot
130. Tomarc - The Barbarian
131. Tournement Tennis
132. Turbo
133. Tutankham
134. Up N Down
135. Venture
136. Victory
137. War Room
138. Wargames
139. Wing War
140. Wizard of Id's Wizmath
141. Word Feud
142. Zaxxon
143. Zenji
  • Like 8

• 2 months later...

So I recently got a few old issues of Electronic Games magazine in the mail, all these issues I also read when I was a kid, and it's interesting to go back and read them now as 40-something year old adult in a time where we have the Internet and can now look at things that we read in the past and how the affected the future. So I opened up the November 1983 issue and found a couple of interesting things...

IMG_5212.JPG

Remember these magazines? Was just so awesome to read about things that were happening in the industry, even if the lead time was at least three months. We didn't have the internet so waiting three months to find out news didn't seem like that big of a deal then!

Wow! Check this out...

IMG_5210.JPG

In less than a year after the ColecoVision had been released, it was dominating Electronic Games' "Most popular videogames list" with SEVEN titles in the top 15! I wonder how many other systems other than the Atari 2600 can claim that sort of bragging rights? I should go back and check some other issues! But it just shows how well-received the system really was! And there in the same issue there was this news...

IMG_5211.JPG

NO! NO! STOP!!!! What are you guys doing?!?!? You're at the height of your game right now!!! STOP!!! This is going to bring an end to the ColecoVision! Plagued with problems!!! Focus your time on more games instead! You know....Rip Cord, Wizard of Wor, Dracula!!! Stoppppppp!!!

Ok, ok, I know that Adam didn't kill Coleco and I love my ADAM dearly, but you always have to wonder what would have happened had they not sunk so much money into the ADAM or at least didn't try to rush it to market. Seeing in the same issue that Coleco was not only topping the charts and well on their way to being the most popular gaming system and then seeing "ADAM Unveiled..." it just sort of makes your stomach sink just a little bit because that old saying "If you only knew then what you know now..."

Anyway, just wanted to share this! I love looking through these old magazines!

• Like 4

I've also been having a blast reading through old magazines lately. The articles are very entertaining, especially when they take a look at "what the future may hold" :)

I use RetroMags.com, the site helps me catch up on things I may have missed in the past. They have an excellent collection of old magazines available to Download.

• Like 1

I've been grabbing PDFs of Byte, Electronic Games, and a few others from Archive.org. If you drop them into Google Books, you can bookmark your progress and easily access them from anywhere, like from a tablet. It's so much fun to look back at this stuff. Especially the pricing. Everything was crap, but very very expensive!

• Like 1

Today I got an awesome box in the mail from Collectorvision filled with all kinds of goodies, but first I'll focus on these amazing fan-made boxes that create "US Coleco" arcade game boxes for games that never had one. I love this!!! While I like the variety of boxes that are out there, I'll always have a soft spot for the arcade cabinet boxes since I grew up on these and most of the games I had as a kid were in this style. Take a look...

attachicon.gifcv_boxes1.jpg

attachicon.gifcv_boxes2.jpg

attachicon.gifcv_boxes3.jpg

attachicon.gifcv_boxes5.jpg

attachicon.gifcv_boxes6.jpg

attachicon.gifcv_boxes7.jpg

I think my favorite thing is that when you put them side by side with the classic boxes, they totally fit right into the library:

attachicon.gifcv_boxes8.jpg

I love that Collectorvision made these available, thank you! And kudos to Greg Off who apparently did the design (and he's a guy I used to work with when I was in the games business which just shows how small of a world this all is!) Now I just need to get some more loose carts to put into these boxes to make them more complete! Anyone know how I can get a one-off of Dig Dug or Pac-Man made? =)

OH GOD I would kill to get some if not all of them box art for real^_^

• 5 weeks later...

So it's been a little while since I last updated this thread. My wife and I have been having a house built for the past 7 months and just before Christmas we finally were able to move it! It was a great Christmas present for both of us since we had never owned a house before, and this was a completely new build that we were able to customize. I'll post a few pictures as soon as the game room is completely set up, but the first thing I made sure I did was get my Colecovision stuff put away and *somewhat* organized (ok, I admit, it's not really organized at all, but at least it's all in one place, which is better than it was before at the old house!)

Anyway, on to a few pics of what I've got put together so far, and a few items I want to focus on....

So if you've followed this thread, you know that I finally was able to complete my "one of each officially released game" goal. And these pictures will show some of those carts and/or boxes. I'm also trying to get as many homebrews and cool re-productions as possible. Not everything I have is pictured, but it's probably a good 80%. Here goes....

We'll start with my shelves of homebrews and re-pros. Here we have the Pixelboy collection, which I *think* is a complete collection of all the traditional sized boxed games they made...

collection1.jpg

Below that are many of the CollectorVision library with a few others as well...

collection2.jpg

Next shelf down is a lot of re-productions and other one-off or stand-alone homebrews. (Don't worry, at some point I will figure out a way to organize them all better. Maybe alphabetical. Maybe by homebrewer. Haven't decided yet. Any ideas?)

collection3.jpg

More re-productions and some of the officially released games I have. There are more boxed original releases not shown here, but this is probably my "favorites" of the lot. I'm probably not going to go for a complete collection of boxed released games as there are just quite a few that I don't really care about. I have the loose cart and that's good enough for me.

collection4.jpg

More odds & ends. Some hardware, some CV press kits. Not sure how I ended up with 3 SGMs, but there they are! lol

collection5.jpg

A few more games and some extras that I have that will actually end up going to some friends who are collecting but not quite as insane as I am!

collection6.jpg

More random stuff with some juice boxes! Oddly enough, I've also ended up with three of those as well! I'm pretty much ready for any SGM apocalypse that might happen in Orlando! lol

collection7.jpg

And here is my main Colecovision and Adam system. A few of my favorite accessories as well. I admit I play most of my Colecovision with Nintendo control pads! Everything is all hooked up and ready to play!

system.jpg

Let's go to my big bin of loose games. Most of them are in there. I think (I hope!) all my Xonox Double Enders are still in a box in the closet. I'll get those out soon!

loose1.jpg

loose2.jpg

loose3.jpg

loose4.jpg

Yup, lots of loose carts!

Here's a few notable items that I just want to call out that came in over the last 6 weeks....

games1.jpg

Holy cow! Light Grid Racing and Bomb Jack! Both are just.... AWESOME!!! I will be totally doing a review of them soon and these games are just more examples of why I love this homebrew community! First off, Bomb Jack is exactly... *EXACTLY* the quality of game I would expect when I was chomping at the bit for more arcade to home conversions as a 13 year old gaming dork in 1983. And I don't care if it's 33 years later, I'm just as happy to have it now as I would have then! Great job! Light Grid - WOW! What an AWESOME way to take one section of a hugely popular game and turn it into something fantastic! Both of these games, combined with titles like Boxxle, Mr. Turtle, Bagman, and many others that came out in 2015 just show how much passion there still is for this old clunker of a system! Truly amazing year for homebrews!

disks.jpg

I want to send a HUGE thank you out to Rey for helping me out with some Adam floppy disks. He answered the call and I'm happy that he did! Growing up I never had an Adam disk drive and this to me is just awesome! When I got the box of floppies in the mail I told him "I haven't been this happy to get a package full of 5 1/4 inch floppy disks in 25 years!" lol And it's totally true! Thanks, dude!

What a crazy end to my year! It started having next to nothing other than a base Colecovision system and a few common carts to everything you see in these photos! And I have this community to thank for a HUGE portion of all of that! So thank you to everyone who has helped me out!

More stuff coming soon once I get a little more settled into the new place!

• Like 8

Awesome thread, just happened upon it today! Similar stories as far as new retroware bringing me back into the game, although in my case it was the PS2 copy of Activision's Greatest Hits. Played it, loved it, picked it up for my Game Boy Advance, and that started my collection in earnest that I hadn't touched from the 80s. When I went back for the Coleco (my first system), I picked up all new expansion modules and a near mint system. And a multicart. I then did this for several other systems. I don't get too crazy with the physical copies of carts, but what I have I'm happy with. I wish I picked up a Vectrex over the years, but somehow didn't (three opportunities: in 91, 03, 13).

I drool looking at your home arcade photos...of everything, that would have been the hardest one for me to accept, had I been in your shoes: selling it off. But I totally understand why...the least of which, the neverending maintenance!

Great story, great updates. Glad you're enjoying the fun, all these years later. PS, very ballsy move with the location, unwrap, setup, rewrap/return, and Oscar-winning performance on Christmas Day :D

• Like 1

I drool looking at your home arcade photos...of everything, that would have been the hardest one for me to accept, had I been in your shoes: selling it off. But I totally understand why...the least of which, the neverending maintenance!

The maintenance wasn't actually too bad. I would try to fully restore one machine as much as I could before buying another one, so at the point that I had all of my games in one place, they were all in really good working condition. But it was hard to sell them off. With my new house and game room I've acquired two new machines. One multi-cade MAME machine with a Hyperspin front end that works just great, and then another vintage Donkey Kong machine that has been restored and I'm having an ArcadeSD put into it, but in such a way that doesn't destroy any of the original wiring or PCB's. I'll post pics of it all when I have everything together.

although in my case it was the PS2 copy of Activision's Greatest Hits.

Ha! Awesome. I worked at Activision when that title come out. In fact, the guy that produced it, I actually originally hired him when I was at Virgin years ago and gave him his start in the gaming industry! We are still friends. I'll have to let him know that his PS2 title encouraged another collector, as he is one himself as well! Small world! ;)
  • Like 1

Zaxxon looks amazing via the F18A RGB mod!

..and remarkably identical to MESS/MAME output when you have the tv effects turned off! In fact it looks to be near pixel for pixel in a side-by-side comparison. Impressive for a 30+ year old system to come up to modern standards and work on modern displays.

• Like 1

I just recently got for my new game room a couple of original sell sheet flyers for Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr from the original arcade games that were given to distributors to give to arcade outlets for new games that were made available. They are pretty cool! And even thought they aren't CV specific, I figured you guys might like to see them as Donkey Kong has a lot to do with the legacy of the ColecoVision. Enjoy!

Click the image to enlarge...

donkey kong flyer 1_AA.jpg donkey kong flyer _AA.jpg

donkey kong jr flyer 1_AA.jpg donkey kong jr flyer 2_AA.jpg

• Like 4

Very cool. I have thought about buying these. They would look good on the wall behind by Donkey Kong cabinet. I put a switcher from Vectorlabs and have both the original DK and DKJ board sets installed in the cabinet.

Hold down "Player 2 start" and press "jump" to switch board sets.

Hold down "jump" and press "up" on joystick to insert coin.

Here is vectorlabs website

http://www.vector-labs.com/index_dk.html

Here is a link with the switcher installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8xm3qp9ULM

• Like 1

Very cool. I have thought about buying these. They would look good on the wall behind my Donkey Kong cabinet.

Ha! Funny you mention that. That's exactly the reason why I bought them! :) I'll post pics of my new game room once I get it all set up!