IGNORED

Why I got back into collecting ColecoVision...

TPR

• 1 month later...

So the collecting has gone a bit slower lately for a few reasons, one I've just been getting more and more involved with other things related to the community helping out the homebrewers as much as possible and doing social media for not only my own ColecoVision pages but helping out with AtariAge as well. (So please SHARE those Facebook posts and tweets!) ;) That along with the fact that I don't have that many collecting goals left, so I'm now being a little more selective on things I buy that interest me for a number of different reasons. Below are some of the additions from the past couple of months....

IMG_3932.JPGIMG_3933.JPGIMG_3934.JPG

I don't have too many more games to collect these days, but it's always nice to find a reasonably priced "NIB" Coleco game and one that is in GREAT condition. i picked up this Roc'N Rope for $40 which I felt was a pretty good deal considering the condition. It's probably one of the best looking boxes I have and it looks like it just came right out of the case.

IMG_3939.JPGIMG_3940.JPG

This Threshold wasn't as cheap but at least I didn't pay the insane crazy prices that were going around eBay this summer. (Seriously, WTF was all that???) The box is in very nice shape and it rounds out my collection of standard-sized Sierra boxed games.

IMG_2172.JPG

I originally got one of these Alcazar boxes from Team Pixelboy (thank you again for that) but I recently picked up another one from http://www.retrogamesshop.com/- I had heard Marc's name mentioned a few times from several people but I actually didn't know he had on online shop! His boxes are all VERY good quality and he has a few ColecoVision repros in his inventory. Highly recommended!

IMG_2164.JPGIMG_2167.JPGIMG_2168.JPGIMG_2170.JPG

Also from Marc's store, and while not in the "ColecoVision" catalog, I have always collected the Atari and Intellivision Coleco boxes just because I like them, and while none of these were ever real games (other than Lady Bug which was published by AtariAge) I thought these repro (or should they be considered hypothetical) boxes were cool! They aren't practical since there isn't a game to put inside them, but I guess you can say they fall under that "neat" category for me. And again, the boxes are GREAT quality and sometimes it's cool to just see a creation made of "what could have been."

IMG_3941.JPGIMG_3942.JPG

And finally, I added a couple of items that I had as a kid, but of course, as I kid I had used these items and destroyed them! Although, I gotta be honest, as an adult I'm also tempted to use them! Aren't stickers still cool no matter what age you are? :)

Anyway, that's about it for the time being. I'm sure there will be more items coming soon!

Thanks for reading! (And don't forget to follow along on the socials for both ColecoVision Fan and AtariAge!)

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed a couple of Homebrew ColecoVision Mario games pop up on eBay recently. What makes these so rare? Dug into some history and saw one going for over $600 back in August.

There were only SO MANY of the original release made in 2009 and this is the version that most people would like to acquire for their collection. The re-release in 2013 was even more professionally packaged as well as a number of updates to the game and bug fixes made, but there was a bigger run made and therefore most people had the chance to acquire it and probably still can thru CollectorVision.

Guess I should check out eBay to see what version is up for sale before having typed all this.

Edited by NIAD

• 1 month later...

Todays' mail call was probably the nicest looking "used" box I had ever seen! I saw this go up on eBay for $40 and I immediately grabbed it. I actually didn't think it would end up being as nice as it was, and while it's not "mint" it's probably pretty damn close! Especially for being opened and used! Other than the flap that was used to open the box, there isn't really any other creases, tears or major issues on the entire thing! This was quite an awesome find!

box 1.jpg

box 2.jpg

box 3.jpg

box 4.jpg

box 5.jpg

And here it is sitting on my self! Glad I ended up grabbing this one on a whim!

box 6.jpg

• Like 6

Todays' mail call was probably the nicest looking "used" box I had ever seen! I saw this go up on eBay for $40 and I immediately grabbed it. I actually didn't think it would end up being as nice as it was, and while it's not "mint" it's probably pretty damn close! Especially for being opened and used! Other than the flap that was used to open the box, there isn't really any other creases, tears or major issues on the entire thing! This was quite an awesome find!

Wow, looks great. It's probably in better shape than the box I got with the brand new ColecoVision I got for Christmas in 1984.

• Like 1

That does look fantastic! I remember I let my mom talk me into throwing out my Coleco box and it was pretty much perfect shape too (*kicking self*)..

When I got my ColecoVision, I'd ordered it through the mail (which took probably 6-8 weeks or whatever things took back then), and I began calling the company to make sure they sent it...My friend ordered his from the same company (Maxaron Home Entertainment) and got it almost a month early; I got mine 2 days after they'd arrived in stores (late August '82 I'm thinking)...But when I finally got it I was in a state of disbelief, because they'd just kept telling me to check for it each day ...Finally saying, "OK It should be there tomorrow..."

And that day I raced home from Junior high school and saw that box right on my porch! They just sent that box (no outer box), and set it right on the porch! My brother joked that I should claim we never got it and get him one...

• Like 1

Did they ever print a CV box that depicted the old-style (but standard) hand controllers with the rotary knob?

The only ones that were printed were for the prototype boxes that were used for sales & marketing pre-release and were given to executives at Coleco. There are a handful of these still floating around...

111colecolast.jpg

FWIW, My friend (Who got his a month early) had controllers that were like earlier versions or something...There was no rotary knob or anything though; They were just ever so slightly different in that they had no ridges on the side of the buttons,...The sides of his buttons were smooth...

FWIW, My friend (Who got his a month early) had controllers that were like earlier versions or something...There was no rotary knob or anything though; They were just ever so slightly different in that they had no ridges on the side of the buttons,...The sides of his buttons were smooth...

I have seen a fair number of the smooth button in the 1000+ controllers I have refurbished.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Frantic is simply amazing. Too bad he left the scene and was unable to fix the bugs in that game. Still, it is playable, challenging and FUN!

I still wonder if this found a cartridge release the way it is, would people be ok with that? I still maintain that it's more fun and polished than some commercial games I've played!

I am not ok with buggy games . Scott did make an appearence on AA recently . To bad he couldn't finish it .

How buggy is it really, though? I played it for about two hours when I was making that video and I actually didn't run into any noticeable issues with it.

Scott told me himself he didn't want to finish Frantic because his own game didn't "resonate" with him. He didn't feel the final result met his own objectives/expectations in terms of gameplay and plain fun. For that reason, he just lost his motivation for the project along the way. I did try to help him with some design ideas back when he was still working on it, but it didn't pan out.

Personally, I think I understand his point of view. Frantic is a nice game in its current form but it doesn't distance itself enough from Frenzy in terms of evolution of the "maze running" formula that started with Berzerk. To truly evolve into something great, a game like Frantic would need to break the 32K barrier. And that would make the project quite challenging, perhaps more challenging than Scott ever wanted. That's my opinion anyway.

Scott told me himself he didn't want to finish Frantic because his own game didn't "resonate" with him. He didn't feel the final result met his own objectives/expectations in terms of gameplay and plain fun. For that reason, he just lost his motivation for the project along the way. I did try to help him with some design ideas back when he was still working on it, but it didn't pan out.

Personally, I think I understand his point of view. Frantic is a nice game in its current form but it doesn't distance itself enough from Frenzy in terms of evolution of the "maze running" formula that started with Berzerk. To truly evolve into something great, a game like Frantic would need to break the 32K barrier. And that would make the project quite challenging, perhaps more challenging than Scott ever wanted. That's my opinion anyway.

I disagree that it's not good enough. It's truly a worthy sequel to Berzerk and Frenzy, in the classic mould.

It would be great if the original programmer would release the code to the community to finish if he's abandoned the project.