IGNORED

Why I got back into collecting ColecoVision...

TPR

Like I said, being in the right place at the right time! That Up N Down was at a BIN for $35. I just happened to log onto to eBay at the right time and I snagged it. That Sector Alpha and Aquattack was from an estate auction website operated by Hines Auctions. It was linked in the ColecoVision Lunatics Facebook group. I thought for SURE someone else would have snagged them as I only put $100 each as my top bid. I ended up, totally to my surprise, winning one of them for $78 and the other for $99. I really didn't expect to win either of them.

I also ended up winning a lot of ten boxed Sega Master System games for $32 and a boxed Mr. Do!'s Castle for $40. Neither of those things that rare, but very reasonable prices. As I said, these were things I wasn't really looking for, but stumbled upon more accidentally.

Congrats on some great buys there. That Up n Down box is one I've coveted for a while. I've accepted I'll likely never get the box for Aquatack. Much too pricey. I grabbed a nice buy a while back on a nice CIB Sector Alpha which I was thinking was a great deal, but yours was even better than mine. All said you've had some great luck.

$260 including shipping is not terrible. That means you paid about $100 each unit and if they actually work well after cleaning them up that is not bad at all. Especially considering that a good working Power Brick goes for about $30 each and that's a decent selection of games along with the driving controller and Super Action controllers.

I'd suggest getting some Detoxit and taking everything apart, cleaning it up, and putting it all back together.

You should also look into getting an AtariMax SD cart and maybe eventually getting the systems modded.

Take a look at my "ColecoVision Fan" Facebook page as well as the "ColecoVision Lunatics" Facebook group.

Enjoy the system!

Thanks. I think I will once I get everything cleaned up and running. Time to google Detoxit.

I've been following this thread since it began and well... didn't 'know' / 'been thinking of' how to respond.

'back into' - Well I've never left since I got my Coleco back in 1983(?) (I thought I was 'strange' collecting for an older system).

Then 'EBAY' started getting bigger / I discovered OPCODE / Digital Press etc. around 1998-2002

Fast forward - Collectorvision / Team Pixelboy / other independent publishers

Cool at first - but lately - they are making me broke with all of the releases - sorta like 83 when I could not afford ALL of the games.

Back in 98 I bought a collection off EBAY - 96 games (38 that I did not have) / Console / etc for $500 - The wife thought I was INSANE - but later I learned that a boxed (complete) WIZ MATH was valued at $800!!!! Also in that collection was a boxed Jungle Hunt. Later I sent the box to a collector in Florida for a couple of games and some dough...

Poo - although I do not collect boxes (see other threads) - I WISH I HAD NOT DONE THIS DEAL!! LOL - Oh Well (JFC - it's a friggin box!!!!)

Ah well my story (briefly)...

Jeff31

Still recall a weekend with my then wife playing Lady Bug (2+ million points) for a Twin Galaxy highscore - later 'recalled' by me do to lack of confirmation.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So here's something new that I got in recently, it's a different and more rare way to play the Colecovision! Using a Spectravideo SV 328 computer and the SV 603 Game Adapter! And it plays ColecoVision games just fine! I had Brian over at ColecoVision Upgrades and Sales install an F18a board into it and also he helped me bring some of the components back from the dead (this wasn't in the best of shape) but it's all fixed up now and it works GREAT!

Here's what the system looks like in case you've never seen one:

spectra1.jpg

And another look at it:

spectra2.jpg

Here's the SV 603 Game Adapter:

spectra3.jpg

The F18A that Brian installed:

spectra 4.jpg

And a look under the hood at the F18a install:

spectra 8.jpg

When you fire up the system you get a screen identifying you are using the "Game Adapter"

spectra 5.jpg

The standard blue menu screen from the ColecoVision looks a little different:

sepctra 6.jpg

But all the games play just fine!

specta 7.jpg

And here's some video if you want to see it in action!

• Like 9

The ColecoVision adapter made a lot of sense, but the MSX one was a bit bonkers, especially with the extra onboard keyboard. It's surprising that they couldn't come up with a more elegant solution, especially considering the close connection between the architectures.

I imagine the MSX adapter is exceedingly rare. I've seen one or two ColecoVision adapters for sale over the years, but never the MSX one.

According to this page, there were two versions of the SVI-606, one with and one without the keyboard.

https://www.msx.org/wiki/Spectravideo_SVI-606

It seems the adapter may use the same I/O lines as the SVI-328 keyboard, joystick ports and cassette recorder use, which would be a reason why the adapter has its own ... keyboard, joystick and cassette recorder ports. Also it is limited to 16K MSX programs, no additional peripherals etc so strictly for cartridge or tape based gaming purposes.

Maybe there are ColecoVision peripherals or cartridges that won't work with the SVI-603 just as well?

Anyhow, I think a number of MSX programs were inofficially converted to run on the Spectravideo, just like these days a number of MSX programs have been ported to e.g. ColecoVision, so the demand for the adapter might not have been that big.

Edited by carlsson

• 3 weeks later...

And here's quick video of Kaboom!

(Note that I'm playing with the regular joystick and I need to try it with the Roller Controller and it should play even better!)

Looks really cool! I LOVE the mad bomber sprite and animation. I believe the roller controllers should work much better with that game. I'm getting around to complete one for the Intellivision, which doesn't have paddle control set up. I came up with 3 different control options for that game that works with the 16 directional disc.

That looks really nice!

http://teampixelboy.com/

That is an amazing site for Colecovision fans! Are the past games for sale on a regular basis? I would love to have some of these titles.

In a nutshell, many of the older games are now permanently sold out, but the ROMs are available for free in many cases (if you know where to look!). I can make new copies of all the games that require the Super Game Module. If you want an exact list of everything that is available for purchase, just send me an e-mail. :)

• Like 2

Looks really cool! I LOVE the mad bomber sprite and animation.

I did all the graphics myself on this one. :)

I believe the roller controller should work much better with that game.

Yes indeed! I tested the game myself with my own Roller Controller, and it works really well! :D

• Like 2

Yes indeed! I tested the game myself with my own Roller Controller, and it works really well! :D

It looks really awesome! I love kaboom!, now I will need to build a paddle control for it :P first I have to buy the game though :P

In a nutshell, many of the older games are now permanently sold out, but the ROMs are available for free in many cases (if you know where to look!). I can make new copies of all the games that require the Super Game Module. If you want an exact list of everything that is available for purchase, just send me an e-mail. :)

Sweet! Now I just need to get a Super Game Module.

Thank you god!!! Errrr....Pixelboy...for adding the 1812 Overture in. It was a favorite for the 5200 and Atari 8-bit computer versions. It just adds something extra to the game.

Edited by jblenkle

Ah, the Spectravideo computers. I had a jones for the one with the built-in red joystick :D I can't remember the ad for it, something in Creative Computing at the time. I knew nothing of MSX, but this thing was a computer that could play CV games, so it was automatically cool, right? :D

Watching that play with the F18A board (whatever that is, lol) just makes me want to find a better way to play my CV. Who knows, maybe I'll just get my older system modded with A/V outputs...something to clean up the picture.

Here's a little sneak peek at Sydney Hunter and the Sacred Tribe! I love that the game is a mix of Pitfall! and Montezuma's Revenge. I've not had a chance to sink too much time into it yet, but I wanted to give you guys a look. Thanks to CollectorVision for letting us do this preview!

• Like 5

• 1 month later...