IGNORED

Why I got back into collecting ColecoVision...

TPR

• 3 weeks later...

Mail call this week was a fun little addition... Sammy Lightfoot!image.jpeg image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

While maybe not the best platform game in the world, I'm partial to this genre and this was most certainly one of the early ones. Was happy to find a CIB version in pretty good shape!

Speaking about early platform games, if anyone has a US boxed Donkey Kong they want to get rid of please let me know! (Not a repro version!)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's been a busy summer for us but I do have some new updates coming soon, and while not all directly "ColecoVision", most certainly "Coleco" related! Here's a little teaser... :)

Some of these were non-released, right? Which ones, and what's inside them?

Some of these were non-released, right? Which ones, and what's inside them?

That's correct. So ALL of them are either re-furbished originals with new (if needed) decals & cleaned up hardware, re-productions of the prototypes, or re-imagined with a Raspberry Pi. Here's the rundown:

Re-furbished originals w/ original internal hardware:

Donkey Kong

Pac-Man

Galaxian

Frogger

Zaxxon

Re-production units (Non-working):

Berzerk

Donkey Kong Jr.

(The insides were from other units. One was a Galaxian, one was a DK. I can get these two converted to run a Pi inside of them, though.)

Re-imagined units that now run a Raspberry Pi:

Ms. Pac-Man (running PiMAME)

Omega Race (running RetroPie w/ Emulation Station - This one also has a Horizontal screen in it, so I'm going to add CoolCV to ES!)

Overall, I'm super impressed with the work these guys did restoring them all. Their FB group is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/oldmadenew/

Holy hell I would love one of these. :)

They look really good and the display is nice and crisp for the size. I don't see anything specific on their site but I assume the switches are all replaced (or rebuilt). Would love to see a "guts" shot someplace.

EDIT: Had no idea this has been going on for a while also.

Edited by ClassicGMR

Holy hell I would love one of these. :)

They look really good and the display is nice and crisp for the size. I don't see anything specific on their site but I assume the switches are all replaced (or rebuilt). Would love to see a "guts" shot someplace.

EDIT: Had no idea this has been going on for a while also.

Here's a pic he sent me of the Omega Race work in progress. As you can see there is a ton of work put into it!

omega race table top WIP.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I got in quite a few items over the past few weeks but the most important one to me was finally getting an original boxed release version of Donkey Kong (not a repro) as this now completes my collection of "boxed games by Coleco." I'll post pics of the whole collection at some point, but it was cool to finally get one of these!

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

I'm assuming that a boxed version of this was released for two reasons:

1. As a replacement in case someone lost or broke their pack-in copy of DK.

2. For ADAM users where DK was not the pack-in game.

Is there any other reason why Coleco release a box version of the game?

If that was the case, you'd think the box would say something like "For use with ColecoVision and ADAM."

Congrats on finishing the collection - let's see some pics!

There were people that said they were produced for the colecovisions that were sold with mousetrap or a different game as packin. Some countries I guess did not have the pack-in donkey kong. That is probably why it says coleco and not adam because they probably produced them early on for those areas with the different pack-in game.

There were people that said they were produced for the colecovisions that were sold with mousetrap or a different game as packin. Some countries I guess did not have the pack-in donkey kong. That is probably why it says coleco and not adam because they probably produced them early on for those areas with the different pack-in game.

Nope, that explanation doesn't stick: Those regions had their own versions of the Donkey Kong box (namely the CBS box in Europe). Also, the arcade cabinet box art was seen only in North-America.

The very existence of that DK box is still puzzling to me to this day...

If that was the case, you'd think the box would say something like "For use with ColecoVision and ADAM."

That was my thought as well. I am going to *assume* that they originally made the boxed version as a replacement cart for ColecoVision owners but then later it became a title available for ADAM users, but for whatever reason never they never printed a new box (unless one that also says ADAM on it does in fact exist?)

But this package was specifically a US released box, and as far as I'm aware, Donkey Kong was always the pack-in game for ColecoVision systems sold in the US.

Look at the date behind the box...

They were simply already printed

Coleco just sold them instead of trashing the boxes

Probably before Coleco secured the deal with Nintendo, so DK could be the CV Pack-in game (in US/Canada)

I had thought that might be the case as well. But then again, having a released version of Donkey Kong is no weirder than any other system that also released their pack-in games to retail shelves....

b_Combat_Color_front.jpgpbj-100.jpgsuper mario bros.jpg22283_front.jpg14625_front.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Woo-Hoo! New hotness came in the mail from CollectorVision today!

jawbreaker.JPG

jawbreaker 2.JPG

Here's a little video of the game in action:

NOTE: This game was published without sound. This should be considered a "prototype" release of a homebrew game. All the gameplay is there, but the game was created without sound.

Order the game here: http://collectorvision.com/product-category/colecovision/

• Like 1

That's correct. So ALL of them are either re-furbished originals with new (if needed) decals & cleaned up hardware, re-productions of the prototypes, or re-imagined with a Raspberry Pi. Here's the rundown:

Re-furbished originals w/ original internal hardware:

Donkey Kong

Pac-Man

Galaxian

Frogger

Zaxxon

Re-production units (Non-working):

Berzerk

Donkey Kong Jr.

(The insides were from other units. One was a Galaxian, one was a DK. I can get these two converted to run a Pi inside of them, though.)

Re-imagined units that now run a Raspberry Pi:

Ms. Pac-Man (running PiMAME)

Omega Race (running RetroPie w/ Emulation Station - This one also has a Horizontal screen in it, so I'm going to add CoolCV to ES!)

Overall, I'm super impressed with the work these guys did restoring them all. Their FB group is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/oldmadenew/

I can't find him on here and I want I WANNNNT