IGNORED

65816 C development tools

Probably to tortuous of a path, Apple IIGS Orca C compiler.

http://store.16sector.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=190

I mention it because I've heard it has been hacked on at least a couple of occasions to produce code for other platforms. Specifically when Id ported Wolfenstein 3d to the SNES they used that package to write the code. I've heard of one other instance where someone did something similar for a homebrew 65C816 but the details escape me at the moment.

At least for console I/O, it wouldn't be too hard to hack. It would be a nice shortcut for code development since a lot of routines could be taken from output assembler source files and adapted to routines on the Atari side.

I'm not sure what the state of IIGS emulators are. I'm assuming IIGS emulator + hack to get Orca outputting to Atari memory map would be ~a week project for a talented programmer.

From the sound of this video, the IIGS memory manager can be accessed directly though the GS Toolbox.

I, also, had thought about using a IIGS to get familiar with the 65816. There are a few YouTube videos about learning assembly on the IIGS.

The version 1.0 ROM IIGS systems are usually fairly cheap on ebay, since they are not as expandable (nobody wants them), but to just screw around with programming, they would probably be fine. The IIGS has a built in machine language monitor, so that's really all that you need to get started.

There are a few emulators... The multi-platform emulator: KEGS, an online one: Virtual Apple II, and a Mac specific one. There's good info here on how to set things up.

I had been an Amiga user, so my knowledge of what is the best OS version, compiler, etc. is limited. Maybe someone with more of a background in the IIGS can provide us with the exact details needed to setup a good IIGS development system. That Orca company seems pretty good, from the ad, above.

• 1 month later...

MADS has some issues in 65816 mode. PEA requires non-standard syntax, auto REP/SEP tracking (OPT T+) only works with the exact values $10, $20, and $30, and there's no equivalent of LONGA/LONGI to manually force the M/X assembly modes without emitting code. I leave MADS in m8/x8 assemble mode with REP/SEP tracking off and just force immediate parameter sizes to word with .w suffixes. It works, but it's fragile.

• Like 1

It gave me an error but sent a link to the download via email.

Got it, Thanks.

One note for users of download accelerators, don't use them on this page. I used DTA one click in Firefox, and it downloaded the .htm page. WDC's server limits to only one download per email address, so I had to request the download using another email address and then download it without DTA.

Now I'll get twice as much spam from WDC. :)

• Like 1