IGNORED

Disk access for Compiler256

senior_falcon

I have been looking at the possibility of implementing disk access for the XB compiler. I now have the compiler handling the open, close, input and linput, and print to some extent, but there still is a ways to go before that is fully implemented. That's the easy part...The hard part is writing the runtime routines for disk access, and I have neither time nor interest in doing that. If someone is interested in tackling this I can provide information on how to interface with the compiled code - such things as how to pass numbers, strings, commonly used subroutines, workspaces, etc.

• Like 2

The MG GPLLNK/DSRLNK takes 174 bytes of ALC plus DSRLNK workspace of 32 bytes. I presume we're talking about maintaining the XB/TIB linked list of PABs for open files in graphics mode. It would be dicier if we have to also do it for bitmap mode because the space for PABs is limited in that mode.

...lee

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like the programming is pretty much worked out. Limited to Display Variable files, any length you want. 3 files can be open at a time if needed. EOF and error handling are worked out so they work like in XB. I need to come up with a rigorous test to be sure:

1 - the files created by a compiled program are compatible with those created by an XB program.

2 - files created by XB can be read by a compiled program.

3 - the error handling works as expected.

4 - documentation needs to be updated

Been very busy but hope to get to this soon.

• Like 5