IGNORED

Joystick converter / adapter to Atari, from modern controllers?

Sargnickfury

I have seen quite a few adapters that allow you to take a Atari/commie/Sega/amiga etc joystick and plug it into a USB or other modern device, but are there any that allow you to take semi modern joysticks and plug them into an Atari and work? I have a Pelican universal Arcade stick I would very much like to plug into 800xl, and or XEGS....it has outs for PS2, Game Cube, and xbox (original) is there any sort of adapters that could be used to get this joystick to work with Atari machine? Thanks!

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bump, BUUUT, a PS360 is a fight stick board that has lots of systems it can hook up to, most of them using a PS2/PS1 as the base that other converters can plug into on websites like Goldenshop.com and Goldenshop.com.hk which are the same company. But they have no adapters for Intelllivision, Colecovision, Astrocade, 5200, 7800, Vectrex and Jaguar, even though they DO have ones for TurboGrafx 16 and the 3DO (even though the one they're offering has no daisy chaining ability). Why those systems and not the ones I mentioned?

I don't know. And if you have a Genesis controller, it will plug in where ONE of the buttons is an Atari 2600 Joystick, and those places sell PS->Genesis adapters, but I heard rumors that the PS360 uses an 8 pin ethernet cable and loses something when translated to the 9-pin connector on the Genesis. But it might work for the Atari, even if it doesn't work for Genesis. The only other system besides rthe 2600 and Genesis it works with is the Master System. it does NOT work with the 7800.

I do not know what format the Game cube and Xbox use for thier controllers, PS1/2 and I think 3 but via bluetooth is an SPI bus they can all be reverse engineered if you have the time and tech to do it and a microcontroller can then be progremmed to act as the interface, but PS1/2 controllers a very fussy with the communication timings.

The RJ45 connector on the PS360 is probably sending serial data and again that can probably be reverse engineered and a microcontroller programmed, it aslo has a USB connection, USB is difficult as there are plent of examples for creating USB slave devices to be found and used/modified because that is relatively easy, but to plug a USB device into and older system like a 2600 is really difficult for those who are not USB experts as you really need to write your own USB host firmware and drivers for the different controllers which is why you will not find many if any examples out there to use.