IGNORED

Mr. Do?

thegamezmaster

I love Mr. Do! Would have loved a 5200 version.

Back when I worked at Namco Networks we licensed Mr. Do! from Aruze for mobile and the developer did a pretty bang-up conversion of it. I had one of my artists do a really nice cartoon Mr. Do character for use on various ads and the title screen, always trying to stay true to the original marketing art, but making the character a little more consistently cute and appealing. We always did a "classic" mode which we tried to make arcade perfect, and an "enhanced" mode with souped up graphics that felt like a higher-rez, more detailed version of the originals. So, for instance, in the enhanced mode the Alpha Monsters would escape from a circus wagon at the top of the screen and where you might see a big top in the distance. Each level was a different landscape.

34052203323_8cfa389f28_o.jpg34019051084_5918f5807d_o.jpg

The dirty little secret we had there was most of us thought Mr. Do! was more fun than Namco's Dig Dug. ;)

• Like 5

I used to have a nice collection but finally just went all emulation with an all-in-one cabinet. Honestly I don't miss messing with real hardware any longer.

gameday.jpg

Very nice. What front-end do you use? I just bought an SSD for my MAME box. I am envious of your spinner. I use my trak-ball for games like Tempest, but a spinner would be much better.

PC emulation is definitely the best way to go. I tweaked some of the overlay png's, for scanline/pixel simulation, and the marquees add a lot. The sound is also better than a 60-in-1.

Back when I worked at Namco Networks we licensed Mr. Do! from Aruze for mobile and the developer did a pretty bang-up conversion of it. I had one of my artists do a really nice cartoon Mr. Do character for use on various ads and the title screen, always trying to stay true to the original marketing art, but making the character a little more consistently cute and appealing. We always did a "classic" mode which we tried to make arcade perfect, and an "enhanced" mode with souped up graphics that felt like a higher-rez, more detailed version of the originals. So, for instance, in the enhanced mode the Alpha Monsters would escape from a circus wagon at the top of the screen and where you might see a big top in the distance. Each level was a different landscape.

The dirty little secret we had there was most of us thought Mr. Do! was more fun than Namco's Dig Dug. ;)

Nice remake. I'd love to be able to play it! Mr. Do is so much better. Back in the day, I was "Atari" all the way, even though I didn't get too excited over Dig Dug. I didn't play Mr. Do either, because it was hard.

Now I realize it can't be played like Dig Dug. It's much deeper. There is much more strategy. it's truly a brilliant game. Many home conversions lose that strategy.

That's no secret, it IS more fun! :D

Agree!

• Like 1

Very nice. What front-end do you use? I just bought an SSD for my MAME box. I am envious of your spinner. I use my trak-ball for games like Tempest, but a spinner would be much better.

PC emulation is definitely the best way to go. I tweaked some of the overlay png's, for scanline/pixel simulation, and the marquees add a lot. The sound is also better than a 60-in-1.

I use Maximus Arcade. Love my spinner. Makes Tempest play like a dream.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

The 8bit port is prob one of the most faithful ports of the arcade game - not sure how much beefing up you can get unless you required coins to play it and the bonus offered a free game.

Well if the Youtube videos I saw of it running on the 800XL are accurate, then the music needs to be sped up to match the arcade and when you shoot the letter monsters with the bouncing ball, they are supposed to turn into apples. Sorry, I love this game and am hoping for an amazing conversion!\

EDIT: Looking at more Youtube videos from the 800, some have the music the right speed and some have it way too slow :/

EDIT 2: Wrong music speed for Mr.Do! (at least in the U.S.) -

Right music speed for Mr.Do! (XE version) -

Edited by Breakpack

The 8bit port is prob one of the most faithful ports of the arcade game - not sure how much beefing up you can get unless you required coins to play it and the bonus offered a free game.

It truly is. I didn't care for Mr. Do back in the day. I ended up with a Mr Do arcade machine, and it is truly one of my favorites. I remember thinking the SNES version was dead on. It LOOKS great, but the SNES enemy logic is very poorly handled. Due to that major change, it's not possible to properly set up enemy apple traps. The control and collision is also off on the SNES.

When I went back to play the A8 version, I was able to appreciate the small details. The control is excellent, the music is excellent, the collision is very much like the arcade, Mr Do, and all the of the enemies, are full of color. That was something not commonly found on home systems back then. I doubt the ability of an unmodified ColecoVision to handle such an accurate conversion of this game. The 8-bit Computers were so powerful when utilized properly!

Possible "beefing up":(None of these missing are a disappointment)

1. Add diamond cut-scene

2. Add attract mode

3. Letter monster should turn into an apple.

4. High score save (I hate buying cartridges. I like to select my games from the AtariMax menu. High Score save might sway me to get a cart!)

On a similar note: Did anybody ever notice the ColecoVision and main character appear to match the Prototype of the game??

Arcade Prototype

ColecoVision

Edited by darryl1970

Well if the Youtube videos I saw of it running on the 800XL are accurate, then the music needs to be sped up to match the arcade and when you shoot the letter monsters with the bouncing ball, they are supposed to turn into apples. Sorry, I love this game and am hoping for an amazing conversion!\

EDIT: Looking at more Youtube videos from the 800, some have the music the right speed and some have it way too slow :/

EDIT 2: Wrong music speed for Mr.Do! (at least in the U.S.) -

Right music speed for Mr.Do! (XE version) -

Slower is probably PAL.

• 2 months later...

It truly is. I didn't care for Mr. Do back in the day. I ended up with a Mr Do arcade machine, and it is truly one of my favorites. I remember thinking the SNES version was dead on. It LOOKS great, but the SNES enemy logic is very poorly handled. Due to that major change, it's not possible to properly set up enemy apple traps. The control and collision is also off on the SNES.

When I went back to play the A8 version, I was able to appreciate the small details. The control is excellent, the music is excellent, the collision is very much like the arcade, Mr Do, and all the of the enemies, are full of color. That was something not commonly found on home systems back then. I doubt the ability of an unmodified ColecoVision to handle such an accurate conversion of this game. The 8-bit Computers were so powerful when utilized properly!

Possible "beefing up":(None of these missing are a disappointment)

1. Add diamond cut-scene

2. Add attract mode

3. Letter monster should turn into an apple.

4. High score save (I hate buying cartridges. I like to select my games from the AtariMax menu. High Score save might sway me to get a cart!)

On a similar note: Did anybody ever notice the ColecoVision and main character appear to match the Prototype of the game??

Arcade Prototype

ColecoVision

That and the music in the ColecoVision version is based on the arcade prototype instead of the final arcade release with the clown.

That's really cool.

Which phones did this run on?

Is there a YouTube video of it out there?

Has the 5200 version ever been released? I saw it was displayed at a classic game show, but I do not see it in the AA store.

It would be nice to be able to pay for the ROM, for the AtariMax cart. Even if it is available on cart, who has room for more clutter or wants to waste time changing carts?

• Like 1

Has the 5200 version ever been released? I saw it was displayed at a classic game show, but I do not see it in the AA store.

It would be nice to be able to pay for the ROM, for the AtariMax cart. Even if it is available on cart, who has room for more clutter or wants to waste time changing carts?

Here here, I'll be more than willing to wait for a ROM of Mr.Do!, I already own Mr. Do's Castle both on cart (from Parker Brothers bought in 1985), amnd i also have the ROM as well, we would like to see the same thing for Tempest, and also all of the Mean Hamster and First Star catalog titles as well. We want to see them on either .bin or ROM format for our AtariMax 5200 Multicarts.

I believe they are all (info taken from another thread):

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/265229-mean-hamster-software-collection/

Boulderdash, Boulderdash 2, Bristles, Flip and Flop, and Rent Wars

And John's own programming efforts:

Haunted House 2, Combat 2, AtariTris, Klax, and Gauntlet

WE WANT ROMS!

WE WANT ROMS!

WE WANT ROMS!

WE WANT ROMS!

WE WANT ROMS!

(continue to chant as needed)

My AtariMax SD Multicart awaits their release!!!

Here here, I'll be more than willing to wait for a ROM of Mr.Do!, I already own Mr. Do's Castle both on cart (from Parker Brothers bought in 1985), amnd i also have the ROM as well, we would like to see the same thing for Tempest, and also all of the Mean Hamster and First Star catalog titles as well. We want to see them on either .bin or ROM format for our AtariMax 5200 Multicarts.

WE WANT ROMS!

WE WANT ROMS!

WE WANT ROMS!

WE WANT ROMS!

WE WANT ROMS!

If we can get a ROM of Bounty Bob Strikes Back! (and we do) why not these!!!

• Like 1

If we can get a ROM of Bounty Bob Strikes Back! (and we do) why not these!!!

Everyone and their brother and I already has the ROM for Bounty Bob Strikes Back! (on their 5200 AtariMax multicart), that's why I brought up that if it's simple to get that, then why not the other ones too?

WE WANT ROMS!

WE WANT ROMS!

WE WANT ROMS!

WE WANT ROMS!

WE WANT ROMS!

Whats wrong with converting XL or XE over 5200?

AtariAge PRGE 2017 booth

I found it actually played very well with the 5200 controller, I preferred it to the game pads Albert has hooked up in the picture (regular 5200 controllers are just off the the left.)

• Like 1

Whats wrong with converting XL or XE over 5200?

I think it's great, as a matter of fact, I have many titles on cart that are converted from original XL or XE files, it's just so frustrating that they're not all on cart, thanks goodness for my Atarimax 5200 SD multicart and the Harmony Encore for my 2600. I guess I've bought into the downloading craze I was so much an opponent of for many years (I am a musician and would rather that my fans buy my CDs and DVDs of my product), but in that case I'd rather be able to have them in any physical means possible, and if it means a memory card to keep in files as a backup in case my first copy falters than so be it.