IGNORED

What happens if the cartridge is left in the Intellivision for 24 hours?

I don't recall which system it was (I'm thinking PlayStation for some reason) but I KNOW I saw a post here on AA from a guy last year who said he accidently left his gaming system on when he was deployed and came back a YEAR later to find the system still on and running just fine. :D

So yeah, as long as it's vented I wouldn't worry about it.

BITD I know I personaly left my NES on for several days at a time while trying to finish tough games with no batteries or passwords, the record being a week.

• 7 years later...
On 4/18/2015 at 9:15 PM, joshblaize said:

What happens if the game cartridge is left in the Intellivision for 24 hours, while the system is turned on?

Will the game cartridge burn out from leaving it in the Intellivision for 24 hours?

It was perfectly ok to leave your ordinary warrantied replaceable system on for weeks in 1980. If it wasn't, UL would never have listed it and the return rate would have been astronomical. But the chips and transistors in the console do run hot and it's possible that they could degrade over time due to electromigration and other effects, so if you want your now-prized surviving collector's item to live out the century I'd recommend turning it off when not in use or when you're not deliberately trying to save the game state. The electrolytic capacitors (the big ones) also degrade faster when hot, but you can still buy replacements for those. In comparison the cartridges run pretty cool and most of them were fabricated using newer and more robust processes, so it's unlikely you'll burn one of those out.

When you think about it, it's sort of amazing that VLSI chips work at all. Tiny lithographic patterns etched on a piece of silicon? Baked in an atmosphere whose atoms diffuse into the surface? Deliberately allowed to "rust?" With metal sprayed over it in a precise pattern? This works? Really? For each and every one of the thousands of transistors on a chip? And every one of those transistors works for decades? Well, the answer is, "not always and not forever." Mattel subjected the individual parts and even the whole Master Component unit to "burn in" tests to shake out the weakest links. This reduced field failures to a tolerable level, but not to zero. It's all statistics.

• Like 2