IGNORED

Yahoo Groups

With the flourishing TI-related activity here on AtariAge, I am trying to decide whether or not to drop my membership to the two Yahoo TI forums. Except for the periodic question and monthly voting reminders, I'm not seeing much value in either group.

So.. I am curious what others are doing with respect to the list servers. Are you a member of one or both? Have you thought about dropping from them or have you done so already?

• Like 1

Was a member of both. Now only a member of TI994A.

I have not been active in 3-4 years and I receive only digests. I do not read them much.

We have the community here... I know many listers are not members here, but almost all the action is here. I am always thinking back to when Filip started this TI subforum... It has really become the TI community, in my eyes anyway. Without this group right here, I doubt we would be where we are, and I just don't get that feeling from the lists anymore.

They serve a purpose, sure. But the haymaking is here on AA.

• Like 1

I asked to join one of the yahoo groups and I thought the questionnaire they sent me was asking for way too much info so I told them it was none of their business.
They are getting the amount of traffic they deserve.

Now if only the CoCo mailing list would migrate here.

Hi, I was "following" one of the yahoo-group (TI994A) for many years (10?), but not very in detail or regularly.

I am member in the Geneve-Group there for some weeks I think, as I never found that before.

I have never had a real gain on all of that yahoo-stuff, in all the years, nor was I able to find a desired info ever or to make a post (!)

Yes, that depends on me, of ccourse, as I find this yahoo-platform is so mega-complicated to handle, no overview about nothing.

Iit is very confusing me, ie in posting or searches. Was really really annoying me all the time so that I was almost inactiive.

So I just had it for don´t know, and maybe not to miss something, but I think I missed it all :)

If somebody would say "go", I would be vanished in the next second :)

Yes I know, this is sad, for all the great doing from the 99ers there on yahoo. for sure,

but I just have a problem, maybe on my own, with the yahoo-platform at all.

The forum here on AA is really great, also great people like on yahoo, but many more people, great topics, great off-topics, relative good usability, a.s.o.

Never want to miss that anymore. It was a part of bringing me back to the TI after more than 30 years of abstinence :)

Yes, here could be applied some small changes for much more comfortable using, but this is another thread :D

Maybe we can "seize or lure" the group-members still staying on the yahoo-groups which are still not presented on AA to move over here ?

Maybe we can "import" some or most of the main topics from there, here in a new sub-forum ?

Even if it happens with "copy and paste", I would help to do that if needed

(regardless that I am not so very experienced in that, but it could work :)

Thanks for that suggestion. Good idea.

Ralf

I get email traffic from them and occasionally answer a question. When I answer questions or otherwise engage list members, I usually suggest that they owe it to themselves to join us here on AA. It has been a long time since I have actually bothered to search for anything over there—especially, since the administration change a year or two back when everything went screwy with all of their deprovements!

While we are on the topic of Yahoo TI groups, has anyone heard from Bill Sullivan?

...lee

Hehe ... I completely forgot about that ... I was also a member of eGroups, just found in ancient mail folders ...

Date: 1999-12-30

Hello!tom@wills.net has invited you to join the ti99-4a group at eGroups.com, a free email service.  By joining this group, you can share information, store photographs and files, coordinateevents and more!  

But before that, there was ti99@theriver.com. Anyone remembering?

And, of course, even earlier, but I think still existing: comp.sys.ti

• Like 1

I formed the TI994A Yahoo group when the Yahoo dash group became unbearable. It's a shame that the dash group had to suffer so because of two individuals, the Myarc Cheerleader and the Magic Jack Salesman. The TI994A group was pretty active for awhile, as many members of the old group took their conversations to the new group so as to avoid the spammers/trolls. It looks as if many of those members have also moved along to here, which is a good thing. I don't know how/if the dash group is doing as I haven't looked back in about 6 years, but I expect there's much of the same goings on there as in the past. It would be nice if any of the good TI'ers trapped there were made aware of this group.

Gazoo

I get email traffic from them and occasionally answer a question. When I answer questions or otherwise engage list members, I usually suggest that they owe it to themselves to join us here on AA. It has been a long time since I have actually bothered to search for anything over there—especially, since the administration change a year or two back when everything went screwy with all of their deprovements!

While we are on the topic of Yahoo TI groups, has anyone heard from Bill Sullivan?

...lee

I receive the yahoo group messages via email so that I can search them all offline with a mail client. Unfortunately, the "improvements" created problems with the features I activated in the Yahoo Geneve group, so I may need to move it somewhere else in the near future. (It wasn't meant to be a primary list server for the community, more a place to keep track of the OS and related improvements).

I haven't seen any messages from Bill for quite some time. Best I can tell, the last email he sent to the list server was in December 2013. I wonder if anyone has been in contact with him....

There are occasional good conversations going on on the "-" group, but about 30% of the recent traffic is due to the random instigation of the king of Magic Jacks. Interestingly enough, there are a lot of good users on both groups that I don't see here--and they usually remain quiet unless the discussions there are interesting ones (and once in a while even the king initiates a thread that has value). About a third of the hardware I've sold over the last two years went to users that are only on the "-" group, so it is definitely still of value to keep them up on what is going on in the community. And a blanket invite to the folks there to join in here would also have a high chance of attracting the king, looking for a new kingdom to beat into submission. . .unfortunately. He'd be fine is he wasn't so horribly dogmatic with his opinions. . .and his occasional positive contributions are of use, sometimes even of great use. It is sorting out the good from the bad that makes things on that group such a chore to deal with. . .

I still belong to both the Yahoo list serves, but frankly I almost never check in except around Faire time to find out where the pre-Faire meeting will take place :D. There is rarely anything of interest to me there that I can't find here, and the message format is just too hard to navigate compared to AA.

That said, I believe there is a large population of TIers still lurking on Yahoo with no knowledge of this forum, simply because no one would think to check out Atari Age for a TI forum...

I still belong to both the Yahoo list serves, but frankly I almost never check in except around Faire time to find out where the pre-Faire meeting will take place :D. There is rarely anything of interest to me there that I can't find here, and the message format is just too hard to navigate compared to AA.

That said, I believe there is a large population of TIers still lurking on Yahoo with no knowledge of this forum, simply because no one would think to check out Atari Age for a TI forum...

Out of curiosity, I searched Google for "ti 99 discussion" and "ti 99 forum", and AtariAge is the first link in both cases (at least for me, your mileage may vary). "ti 99 chat" moves AtariAge to the third spot. Searching for just "ti 99" or " ti 99 4a" moves AtariAge to the second page of results.

Who runs 99er.net?

..Al

I check them about once a year. Nothing of value unfortunately. They are linked into my yahoo email account, and it's unbearable to use. Horrible.

Um, excuse me, sir. Ms. Myers herself focus-group tests all of the changes, updates, and features in Yahoo! Mail. You fail to fit into the "norm;" your opinion, therefore, is invalid ;)

• Like 2