IGNORED

800XL - red screen [sigh again]

Just a quick reply to say thanks to Jon (flashjazzcat) for the work he's done on this. Board arrived back today and fired up nicely.

that's some sterling soldering work you've done Jon - i've tested the soldering points with a five-minute blast from an oxy acetylene torch and they're still in place ;)

seriously tho, thanks again Jon, excellent stuff

Edited by Guest

well...well...well - with some bank holiday weekend spare time, i thought i'd spend some time with this today

and it didn't pan out as i expected - here's the sequence of events:

• power on
  • red screen
  • pwer off...wait....
  • power on again
  • red screen
  • power off...wait...
  • repeat until bored
  • power off
  • remove 32-in-1
  • insert Original Atari OS Rom
  • power on
  • hunky dory

think it'll need a Jesus & Lazarus moment to ever function properly

postscript: actually - an epilogue to a wasted venture

myself and the 32-in-1 have come to a distinct fork in the road.

Now i know there will be those of you who will not have a bad word said against Steve's hardware - and generally i fall into that category - i've bought loads from him - and this is the first thing i've had a problem with.

So (please) before you attack me/blame me etc etc...this piece of kit has been swapped out 3 times, and had three different people fit it (incl Steve)...

different PSUs have also been tried just in case (FJC suggested it's a possible issue)

I don't know what others' feelings are with regard to the 32-in-1 - but i've wasted nearly four months trying to get this damned thing to work. time to give up. however, if you feel that this is all down to me (FJC and Steve) then here's an offer - come and buy THIS 32-in-1 off me

any takers? - thought not!

Edited by Guest

I'd bet very much that is a strange timing issue in the 1200. At some point I removed the 32in1 from mine as well due to some weird timing issues that could never quite be pinned down. I eventually wound up removing the 256K upgrade and the 32in1 and installing an Ultimate1MB, and haven't had any issues since.

I'd bet very much that is a strange timing issue in the 1200. At some point I removed the 32in1 from mine as well due to some weird timing issues that could never quite be pinned down. I eventually wound up removing the 256K upgrade and the 32in1 and installing an Ultimate1MB, and haven't had any issues since.

it may well be the case with the 1200XL...but how does that relate to my 800XL?

Whoops meant to say 800XL the first time there, you may have a similar strange timing issue in it. As has been mentioned A8s and strange timing are no... strangers :D

When I placed a regular OS ROM back in my 1200XL it never acted up the way it did with the 32in1. And the 32in1 is fine, as I eventually placed it into a 130XE where it has no issues.

To paraphrase Sherlock Holmes: when you have eliminated the impossible, what remains - however improbable - must be down to bus timing. :)

Seriously: none of this satisfactorily (to me, at least) explains why the machine worked perfectly well at my house once the bent spring clips in the PLCC socket were straightened and the flash ROM replaced. I would expect timing issues which actually prevent the machine from booting to be immediately apparent during testing. The route from non-booting machine to working one was: fix socket and replace chip. The problem appears to be intermittent, and only rears its head (it seems) after numerous power cycles or sustained use. I can hardly blame the owner for abandoning the 32-in-1 at this stage.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1