IGNORED

iPega 9023 Telescopic Controller

omegadot

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetooth-Telescopic-Controller-IP117/dp/B00MUG3JPU

I picked up one of these to stick my ageing transformer in once I realized I didn't really want one of the JXD etc type handhelds when I already had so many damn Android devices floating around. I wasn't really sure how it'd turn out but so far it's pretty darn handy. So far I'm played (and enjoyed!) Super Mario RPG, Super Metroid, Earthbound, Goldeneye and Snowboard Kids.

The construction seems pretty sturdy, it grips the tablet itself quite well. I was nervous how it would be to stick a 10" tablet in and it works well. The angle is a little off, it would be nice if it was angled back a bit further, but it's not really uncomfortable. I'm guessing with a smaller device it would matter less. So far I've just kept it in landscape mode and it's snug. The hook that holds it up on bottom is off to the left a bit so my charging port is left uncovered.

The buttons respond well enough and while they aren't state of the art they are better than other 3rd party types I've used.

The mapping is a bit odd. There are 3 modes it can be put in, the iCade, a keyboard, and a gamepad. So far I think keyboard detected the best in the n64 emulation. iCade works well in snes but the mapping is off by default. It's selectable with easy key presses so it's not too bad to change on the fly. I run one of the latest CM builds and the bluetooth paired without a hassle.

Charging is via the same USB standard as all my phones use, it's one of the smaller standards, I forget which one. No cable included but no tears about that from me.

It claims a 20 hour battery life, but in any case it's way more than my tablet itself will play games.

I'm sure the manufacturing is about as consistent as any of these other devices but mines seems just fine. Really enjoying my new mobile emulation. Little girl can't grab all my cables...grumble grumble....

Edited by omegadot

• 1 year later...

How's the D-pad on this? Giving it some thought.

I thought the D-pad was fine. Size was good and it was overall comfortable to use. Not like first party Nintendo quality or anything but I've used worse. I am admittedly not incredibly demanding on controllers but I consider it head a shoulders above something like the old madcatz controllers for DC or N64 for what that's worth.