IGNORED

RF Demodulator

dalves

I'm trying to convert my game room from an old standard TV to HD. Connecting my Atari 2600, Intellivision, etc to a VCR to go out to my HDTV produces ghost images and a poor quality image. I bought myself a SCART to HDMI Converter for my newer systems (Nintendo NES, Sega Genesis, PS1/PS2, etc) and it has made a HUGE difference in the quality to my HDTV. I figured if I got an RF Demodulator, I could feed that signal into the SCART/HDMI converter and maybe get better results. I received my RF Demodulator yesterday and I'm trying to figure out if I'm using it wrong or if this one is defective. I tried connecting my Intellivision to the demodulator and take the RCA outs to the TV. I got no signal. I then connected my cable output into the demodulator and the best I got was a very scrambled image that would cut in and out. I'm wondering if anyone out there has any experience with RF Demodulators and could help me sort this out?

I'm trying to convert my game room from an old standard TV to HD. Connecting my Atari 2600, Intellivision, etc to a VCR to go out to my HDTV produces ghost images and a poor quality image. I bought myself a SCART to HDMI Converter for my newer systems (Nintendo NES, Sega Genesis, PS1/PS2, etc) and it has made a HUGE difference in the quality to my HDTV. I figured if I got an RF Demodulator, I could feed that signal into the SCART/HDMI converter and maybe get better results. I received my RF Demodulator yesterday and I'm trying to figure out if I'm using it wrong or if this one is defective. I tried connecting my Intellivision to the demodulator and take the RCA outs to the TV. I got no signal. I then connected my cable output into the demodulator and the best I got was a very scrambled image that would cut in and out. I'm wondering if anyone out there has any experience with RF Demodulators and could help me sort this out?

You mentioned that you hooked your cable output to the demodulator...

Who's your cable provider?

I know that some (e.g. Time Warner) in my area at least are discontinuing analog signals altogether pretty soon. Do you know of the cable signal is DTV or is it analog?

And as Greg2600 mentions, you need to be sure to fetch one of those adapters. I've been using its left-handed twin, which takes RCA in and converts to coax, for years and years, since I have lots more of the old-style RCA cables laying around than coax. I expect the coax cables will pick up less noise, so ultimately are better.

And like goldenegg mentioned, if you share w/ us the model of the RF Demodulator you have, I'm sure you'll get all the advice you need.

Good luck!

Hey all, thanks for the responses. I realized after I posted I should have given more information. The demodulator I bought is a MCM 33-2060 RF Demodulator. You can check it out at the link below. I had emailed the company I bought it from and they weren't sure it would work with an HDTV. I found it difficult to find any specs on this unit, but took a chance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371043551280?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Greg2600, I actually own the Ambery Modulator you posted. Again, I don't know if I got a defective one or something I was doing wrong, but if I connect my Intellivision via RF and use the VGA out to my TV, I get very pronounced virticl lines across the screen. When I've used the other inputs with other game systems, it worked fine.

The SCART to HDMI Upscaler was the best investment I made for my other game systems. The clarity on an HDTV is fantastic. I was hoping to find someway of getting my Intellivision signal into the SCART converter, or another method to acheive better definition. The VCR method works ok, but I still get ghost images. I was thinking about getting either a DVD Recorder/VCR combo with S-Video and HDMI outs or a designated tuner with HDMI outs. Any insight you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm wondering if I should take a chance on this tuner.

http://www.ambery.com/diathdtvtufo.html

Edited by dalves

I'm using RCA to F Type adapter on a standard coax cable into the RF In on a VCR. I'm then taking the RCA outs from the VCR to connect to the HDTV. The picture isn't horrible, but I've been so spoiled with my SCART to HDMI Upscaler that I was hoping I could get similar results with my older systems.

I have an Intellivision that has the SCART output. I have converted the 220v power supply to 110v. I still have the 220v power supply if you are not in the U.S.

I do not use the system and am interested in selling it. The output is digital so you see no ghosting. The console is in great shape and the controllers work well. I take care of my stuff so the overall condition of the console is very good if not great.

For anyone else that is interested, I also have a SCART to HDMI converter. This is how I connected it to my system.

Let me know if you would like it. Just PM me.