IGNORED

Harmony or Harmony Encore? SD or MicroSD?

gsrel

Just wondering if someone could tell me which unit is worth getting? Im not concerned about the deluxe version as I have many usb cables and memory cards kicking around (sd and mini)

Im in Canada so the cost overall is fairly expensive due to the conversion rate (30% more).

I contacted Batari via PM (along with email) but no response yet.

Edited by gsrel

Such as? I guess the better question is the extra money for the encore worth it? is the microsd version an "updated" board or is it the same with just a different memory reader?

I find homebrews interesting but as im totally new to this I thought id ask

I bought the Encore with regular SD slot. With the way homebrews are going, I wanted the extra capacity. It would suck if a 64K version of DK VCS came out and I couldn't play it!

I can use a stardard SD or a micro-SD left permanently in an adapter. All my PCs have standard SD slots so I would need the adapter anyway. Micro-SDs have their place in really small devices but they are almost always a pain in the ass to insert or remove...plus they have a tendency to disappear if dropped.

I'm using a 16GB mirco with adapter which was about $12 at Staples.

• Like 1

I bought the Encore with regular SD slot. With the way homebrews are going, I wanted the extra capacity. It would suck if a 64K version of DK VCS came out and I couldn't play it!

I can use a stardard SD or a micro-SD left permanently in an adapter. All my PCs have standard SD slots so I would need the adapter anyway. Micro-SDs have their place in really small devices but they are almost always a pain in the ass to insert or remove...plus they have a tendency to disappear if dropped.

I'm using a 16GB mirco with adapter which was about $12 at Staples.

Harmony cart stops at 32K? or smaller? I'm leaning towards the Encore myself - I want to be able to play the most homebrews I can get my hands on!

• 1 month later...

The Harmony can play all (but one) original games

Hi Thomas, which one are we talking about? I'm considering a Harmony (don't care much for Encore = homungous Atari Basic homebrews) and want to know what I'llbe missing.

• 1 month later...

Looking at purchasing one myself. The way I read batari's website, even if we order the basic Harmony, it appears we would be eligible to upgrade to the Encore later? It would be a $25 fee if your cart is upgradable, but I guess if I find I want to play some certain homebrews down the road that require the Encore, I could always upgrade then.

• Like 1

I've got the older non-upgradeable Harmony cart. It's been an incredible piece of tech and so far has played every homebrew I've thrown at it except Zippy the Porcipine (64kb) and the Boulderdash demo (used too much on-cart RAM). Since I now own a 7800, I'm basically skipping the Encore and waiting for the Concerto to release. It should share the same 2600 compatability with Encore in addition to playing 7800 games, except it can't be used in a 2600.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am noob to this. I want to ask how does this work? The Encore harmony cartridge is working with Atari 2600 and it is not important if it is PAL or NTSC?

And when I will use it with atari 2600, I can play also 5200 and 7800 games? Or I need 5200 and 7800 consoles?

When the cartridge will be sent it has price value written on package? Because if yes, I think I will have to pay import taxes. I am from Europe.

Hi, I am noob to this. I want to ask how does this work? The Encore harmony cartridge is working with Atari 2600 and it is not important if it is PAL or NTSC?

And when I will use it with atari 2600, I can play also 5200 and 7800 games? Or I need 5200 and 7800 consoles?

When the cartridge will be sent it has price value written on package? Because if yes, I think I will have to pay import taxes. I am from Europe.

7800 console is backwards compatible with 2600 games. You can also play 2600 and 7800 games on a 7800 flash cart. You can only play 2600 games on a 2600. Likewise 5200 games can only be played on a 5200. There was an expansion module to play 2600 games on a 5200, but it required 2600 carts and controllers.

A 7800 flash cart (concerto) is in the works that also plays 2600 games but it will only work on a 7800 and will not fit the 2600 cart slot due to the extra pins. I own a 7800 which is why I'm skipping the Encore for the Concerto.

Regardless, you need a 7800 to play 7800 games and a 5200 to play 5200 games.

Edited by stardust4ever

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a pre-release Harmony #30 I think, and have bought like 5 Harmonys(some for amazed older friends who want to re-live their childhood) and one Encore MicroSD cartridge - I like to do what I can to support batari's awesome work on this project. I'm been happy with them all. I was thinking its best to have the MicroSD version of the Encore because its possible the regular SD cards will be phased out and harder to find in the future?idk, unlike MicroSd which is very popular right now. But it probably doesn't matter which you buy, you could likely always get a regular SD card during your lifetime at any point.

Gawd, I still try to imagine the thought of having one of these great carts back in 1981 when i was an adolesent with my light sixer, It would have been astounding to me I'd say. :)

I've got a pre-release Harmony #30 I think, and have bought like 5 Harmonys(some for amazed older friends who want to re-live their childhood) and one Encore MicroSD cartridge - I like to do what I can to support batari's awesome work on this project. I'm been happy with them all. I was thinking its best to have the MicroSD version of the Encore because its possible the regular SD cards will be phased out and harder to find in the future?idk, unlike MicroSd which is very popular right now. But it probably doesn't matter which you buy, you could likely always get a regular SD card during your lifetime at any point.

Gawd, I still try to imagine the thought of having one of these great carts back in 1981 when i was an adolesent with my light sixer, It would have been astounding to me I'd say. :)

if they had them in 80's game companys would been seling roms instead of carts or maybe both who knows. the closest it came was supercharger and cuttle cart.

harmony cart is the best thing for 2600. and centro will be for the both 7800 and 2600.

if they had them in 80's game companys would been seling roms instead of carts or maybe both who knows. the closest it came was supercharger and cuttle cart.

harmony cart is the best thing for 2600. and centro will be for the both 7800 and 2600.

Concerto. Someday. 7800 fans have been waiting for it a long time.

I think your auto-correct must've been acting up.