IGNORED

Intellivision Model 1 Extension Cables?

Tempest

The short answer is YES.

:D

But, not knowing your comfort level with the hardware / modding, I have a few things to ask...

Are you OK with removing the top cover of your Intellivision and then removing the controllers? (6 screws and then slide off the connectors).

I assume you're looking for a simple "plug and play" solution, not something that involves cutting / splicing cables together, correct?

I can make the cables for you, but first we need to determine how you want it done (keep coiled cables, get rid of coiled cables, etc).

The short answer is YES.

:D

But, not knowing your comfort level with the hardware / modding, I have a few things to ask...

Are you OK with removing the top cover of your Intellivision and then removing the controllers? (6 screws and then slide off the connectors).

I assume you're looking for a simple "plug and play" solution, not something that involves cutting / splicing cables together, correct?

I can make the cables for you, but first we need to determine how you want it done (keep coiled cables, get rid of coiled cables, etc).

Yeah I can remove the controllers, I've done that before. It's soldering I'm not too fond of. Yes, plug and play would be best.

Personally I *hate* the coiled controllers, I'd much rather have a straight cable on them. The only thing those coiled cables were good for is sliding inside the Model 1 top, but if I'm extending them they're not going to fit there anyway.

Well, in that case, the best thing would be to simply replace your coiled cable with a straight cable (about 6 feet long). I currently make Intellivision Flashback adapter cables (for both the original console and the II / Sears versions), and while I have a decent supply of donor cables and 9-pin SIP (motherboard) connectors, I don't have any spare "circuit matrix pressure pin" connectors.

Not sure what the official name is, but these:

controller_matrix_pressure_pins.jpg

So, if you want to send me your existing coil cables (remove them from the console and controller housings), I can re-use the ends, and splice / solder new straight wires in their place. If you like, you can just send me the controllers if you don't want to disassemble them to get the cables out, but it would be cheaper to just send the cables.

Edited by nurmix

Well, in that case, the best thing would be to simply replace your coiled cable with a straight cable (about 6 feet long). I currently make Intellivision Flashback adapter cables (for both the original console and the II / Sears versions), and while I have a decent supply of donor cables and 9-pin SIP (motherboard) connectors, I don't have any spare "circuit matrix pressure pin" connectors.

Not sure what the official name is, but these:

controller_matrix_pressure_pins.jpg

So, if you want to send me your existing coil cables (remove them from the console and controller housings), I can re-use the ends, and splice / solder new straight wires in their place. If you like, you can just send me the controllers if you don't want to disassemble them to get the cables out, but it would be cheaper to just send the cables.

That sounds fine. Shoot me a PM with the details.

They really don't make it easy to remove those controllers do they? The cords ran under both the on/off switch and the power supply. There's no reason for that.

Yeah, it's a bit of a pain. But you only have to remove them once, then install the new ones.

You could also work from inside the console. Make a regular 9 pin cable with one end male 9x1 pin (0.1" spacing) and other end female 9x1 (also 0.1" spacing) and use it as an extension cable.

That's true. I can make those as well, but they look kinda clunky, with the SIP connectors and exposed wires at the ends... plus you'd still have half coiled cable and half straight.