IGNORED

Retro Gamer Magazine.

am1933

Mine was still on 140 when I just checked. However, I was told 142 is due in tomorrow. If anyone wants a copy, I can mail it for the price of the magazine which I think it was 11.95 or 12.95 plus postage. PM me if you're interested. Let me know ASAP, before I return to the store which will be either tomorrow or over the weekend.

:thumbsup:

Very nice - to have 6 pages in Retro Gamer. The story of the TI-99. Rise and fall. Pretty plain - and solid. If only The Ranger had ...

... The home computer initiative was shot down. ... The TI-99/4A, like many of the computers from that time period, went to maintain a large and loyal worldwide cult following that still releases new peripherals and software to this day.

:)

Better something than nothing. Absolutely. Had hoped for a link to AtariAge in there.

- - -

Now if we could press forward, I think we might be able to get a page each on subjects like as "Rasmus' Games" and the "632K ROM/GROM XB SUITE" cartridge(s). With links. That might hook up a few more members here.

From then on, we might be lucky and get half a page on an "original" game - casual mass market appeal style.

;)

• Like 2

I have a PDF of Issue 142 with nice clean scans of each page if anyone wants the file. It is a 40mb file.

It talks about TI Designing and Manufacturing the 1ST transistor Radio. Unfortunately it says nothing about where that Technology came from which we all know was from a downed UFO :-o

(I will be out of town for most of the day on Saturday for my son's Birthday so I may not reply for another 24+ hours so please be patient if I dont get right back to you.)

Edited by TI-GAMER
  • Like 2

Just got a copy today,

The actual feature is OK-BUT, I can't help but think there has been some attempt to make the machine look as bad as is humanly possible, usually the magazine uses fairly good pictures of the machine in question. What do we get this time?-pictures of a beaten up lookin ti99/4, a seriously dis-coloured beige 4a and a seriously scratched silver 4a with a beige keyboard??????????????????????

And finally-"five essential games", FIVE?, FIVE?, FIVE? -WHAT THE F**K DO YOU MEAN BY FIVE???????????, YOU GET MORE THAN 50% OF THAT ON ONE F**KING RASMUS CARTRIDGE :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Like 1

:thumbsup:

Very nice - to have 6 pages in Retro Gamer. The story of the TI-99. Rise and fall. Pretty plain - and solid. If only The Ranger had ...

... The home computer initiative was shot down. ... The TI-99/4A, like many of the computers from that time period, went to maintain a large and loyal worldwide cult following that still releases new peripherals and software to this day.

:)

Better something than nothing. Absolutely. Had hoped for a link to AtariAge in there.

- - -

Now if we could press forward, I think we might be able to get a page each on subjects like as "Rasmus' Games" and the "632K ROM/GROM XB SUITE" cartridge(s). With links. That might hook up a few more members here.

From then on, we might be lucky and get half a page on an "original" game - casual mass market appeal style.

;)

A good first step would be to take some HIGH QUALITY photographs of a nice looking TI system, as well as some of it's LATEST peripherals and some good quality screen shots from a dozen of the TI's LATEST games. Then write a killer article covering the main points that Retro Computer types usually focus on. Then include ONE LINK in the document that leads them straight to this forum here at Atari Age.

The PDF file could be a dozen pages or so, basically a sales brochure for the Modern TI'er. Once it's all slicked up and ready for prime time... spread it around the Internet.

• Like 2

Going to attempt a balanced reply here, as yet to read article.

Ok, Regarding condition of machine used:A shame, but if your a regular reader of RG forum, you'll find numerous threads where the team are asking to borrow a game or machine so they can photograph it for an upcoming feature.I'd guess here there were'nt a huge number of machines to choose from, espically given the deadlines, so they went with what they had?.

I am however surprised to hear no link to Atari Age was mentioned in the article as RG has used AA in the past for advice/suggestions and Atari Age has been listed in The Retro Gamer Directory, in the magazines back pages, in the past.

Regarding choice of games :-)

Well....after the games choosen for the recent ST feature, i'm not overly surprised to hear owners of another format raising the WTF question, but then as i'm not yet aware of who wrote the article, i've no idea of his/her personal exp.of the machine.

What's the verdict so far then?

Great that machine has been covered, but some concerns over the way it was represented?.

Also does the article read as if it's written from someone who's spent years with the hardware or more someone assigned the task of covering it and merely looked into it, for the purpose of writing a feature on it?.

My gripes with RG articles in past (as a paying subscriber as i was or a causal, pick up a copy if i'm passing reader as i am now...) has always been either well worn subject material containing same old mistakes even though readers pointed out what was 'wrong' or articles too Pro-The system in question, which does'nt sound the case here...or given to someone with very little exp.of games (on other formats if it's a multi-plat game) or hardware at the time.

I know bugger all on the system, so it'll be an interesting 1 for me to read as i've no bias for/again'st the machine itself.

• Like 1

I have never been terribly impressed by RG's attention to detail overall, particularly when it comes to hardware, but also with software. It always feel sloppy somehow. They have gorgeous pictures that grab the eye and almost force me to purchase an issue, but when I delve deeper into the content, more often than not it's either incomplete or very superficial. Case in point: I had just grabbed issue 141, and they had a whole section on notorious hardware disasters. Half the time there was little elaboration on the actual hardware, and in some cases I could not even tell what exactly the hardware did!

RG is like candy: it's best ingested in small doses :)

• Like 4

Ok then.I've now read said article and i'm going to offer up some constructive critiscm, from a readers point of view, where i knew nothing about the machine, prior to reading said article.

i have to agree with comments about rough condition of the machine, appreciate it must of been hard to source the hardware in question, but bloody'hell, it does indeed have that 'fresh from the skip' look to it and was'nt really doing the hardware any favours.There's aged hardware, then there's poorly treated hardware....
Article comes across as very in-depth (as i'd expect given Marty G has written it) and i honestly cannot fault the back story to why machine suffered as it seemed to from poor design decisions etc and yet another company who's internal bickering seemed to of cost them dear...
But, it's kinda hard going at times as it seems to focus purely on what the hardware got wrong far too often..poor keyboard, slow processor, even though it was 16 Bits, closed system, hard for home user to use etc...
  • Like 1

In terms of balance as a reader i was left practically begging the article to try and put some spin on it and try and explain what the hardware got right as well as wrong, but that message did'nt seem to be in there. :-(

My biggest issue though is....it just seemed like...right article..wrong magazine!.

Perhaps it's just me, but buying Retro Gamer Magazine, i kinda expect to read a lot about the games aspect of any hardware featured, yet here it was more..a potted history of it.

With only 5 games featured and even these reduced to a mere box-out, the focus (sadly) did'nt seem to be on the gaming side of things.

Article seemed more suited to one of the Hardware Guide books i've bought/been given as gifts over the years....and enjoyed very much to be fair.

So yes, i enjoyed the article, learnt a lot, but it just seemed like a book put on the wrong shelf, you pick it up, read it, find it solid enough, but swear someone had put it in wrong place by accident.

:-)

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 1

The other thing i noticed in this months issue and this is'nt related to the TI article, but the Bionic Commando one, i'm again left to assume writer of this article had little/no 1st hand experience of the Atari ST as he reports his surprise to find push scrolling on ST Bionic Commando, given it's a 16 Bit machine...

Clearly not played many ST games in his time then..sigh...
I do wish with multi-platform game features like this someone with personal exp.of all versions covered is called in to help out, it'd help prevent a few gaffs here and there.
Plus, whilst i'm here...
8 Amstrad CPC screens used in the Loriciels article and just a a few ZX Spectrum and Amiga screens thrown in for good measure? would'nt of killed them to have an ST screen here a C64 screen there, would it? just to add a bit of variety and balance.

Those poor TIs look like they're straight from the trash heap. And why is that ToD cart playing Parsec? :P

yes, we have to look out now for the FUEL-TUNNELS OF DOOM :)

I like this article very much, also very nice to read something about TI´s and 99er´s history.

- no more comments on details, just happy to see it there :)

• Like 1