IGNORED

Pie Factory Podcast...

Gorf's cool I guess, but I don't find I enjoy it as much as I should. I mean, on paper, I should love this game; the multi-screen aspect makes it kind of like the slide-'n-shoot equivalent of Donkey Kong.

The speech is reasonably intelligible, but I must point out that for years I thought the voice was calling me "space nugget." I'd die, get mad at the game, and say out loud, "shut up, what the f&$k is a space nugget, anyway?" Then one day I saw the words "space cadet" in print in the attract mode -- or maybe it was on the CPO, I forget -- and had one of those "a-ha" moments, kind of like when you realize you've been singing the lyrics of a song incorrectly your whole life, and the real lyrics make so much more sense than what you thought the song was saying.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow....that's...kind of a douchebag response. :/ I know it might be that the person didn't intend to be a douche, but still...this is a serious issue that needs thought before comment.

BTW...literally hours before the episode was released, saw a very serious situation going on with a friend...actually, I think a mutual friend of Inky's and mine...really scary. Inches away from the worst. Thankfully, this friend is now still with us; lots of people talked him out of doing it. The next morning he expressed his thanks; I think (and hope) he's OK now. This is exactly why we discussed the issue two years in a row.

Edited by Dauber
  • Like 1

Yeah I dont want to get too deep in this discussion here but when mine first started I used that "plenty of other people are worse off" line to help me cope, but it doesnt really work anymore.

& feeling emotional & crying to get it out? You know it.

• Like 1

I didn't realize that there was a cab of Do! Run Run at the Pinball Wizard arcade. I didn't see it when I was there last year. Been meaning to go up there again, but just not had the chance to do so. I'll keep a eye out for it when I do. I've played all four Do games already and really like Mr. Do and Mr. Do's Castle but the latter two games I find 'meh'.

Also, really liked the Portal reference! I didn't know you guys played modern games. :P

• Like 1

Regarding the initial discussion on the show about "the first boss in an arcade game," I've got a different take on that subject. Personally, I'm not convinced that the paradigm of "videogame boss" as we know and love it today traces back to the likes of Phoenix or Gorf.

I think the "boss" really became a trope with the advent of non-fixed-screen games, such as scrolling shooters, platformers, and beat-em-ups, where you progress to a point along a continuum and battle a boss to mark the end of a stage, level, or world.

In games like Phoenix and Gorf, you face off against a large ship as part of a standalone screen in the game. Yes, in retrospect, it looks a bit like a boss, but was it really? Or was it just an idea for a standalone fourth screen that that the programmer came up with, that would loop with increasing difficulty just like all of the other screens?

For me, I feel like my first boss encounter was the first time I came to the mothership on Xevious. I thought that was so damn cool, and like nothing I'd ever seen before in a game. Any time after that when I'd come to a boss in a scrolling shooter game--like a big warplane in 1943, for example--I'd be able to sense the debt owed to Xevious, whether real or imagined. Just my $.02.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Notes:

1. I played BagMan once and got stuck where I was moving the wheelbarrow at the top of the screen down a small decline, and it got stuck. That game is just brutally hard. Funny you mention Bag-It Man from Aardvark software. I bought another one of their titles(some RPG like game) via mail order for the TI-99/4A(Wizard's Tower). Fun game, but brutally difficult.

2. Sinistar had great sounds, not limited to just the voice bits.

1. the opening guitar riff

2. The player death explosion sound, which sounds like it's distorting the speakers

The game overall feels like a rapid-pace souped-up Asteroids. The bouncing against asteroids to get the crystals and the subsequent race to grab said crystals is fun.

Want to try a super hard game with what seems like only one path? Try The Pit. It didn't last long at our roller rink. I tried it, and I noticed if you deviate from the magic path one bit, or stall just the slightest, you lose a life.

I've played this game. I hate it.

Glad you guys mentioned the comic from the Bagman machine. I only saw this game in the arcades a couple times, but I thought that was the coolest thing on it!

Also, check out Colecovision homebrew version of the game. Not sure if it's out yet, but it looks VERY impressive.

I have my own theme for Bagman and Sinistar: two games I WANT to really enjoy but I don't cause they are too *&((! hard!

Edited by SoulBlazer
  • Like 1

Also, I forgot. Shark Attack (or Lochjaw) is a 2600 maze game where you collect stuff and deposit said stuff in a central location. There are two variations, one stuff at a time (I think it's diamonds but I don't recall), or you can hold a bunch at once, but it takes longer to deposit. Watch out for sharks! :o

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Heh silly slam poetry.

I think there's at least 6 songs about Space Invaders made back in an earler time.

Off my head

Warner Brothers - Space Invaders(I can't find this track)

The Pretenders - Space Invaders

Uncle Vic - Space Invaders(Dr. Demento tune)

Hot Gossip - Space Invaders(best album cover ever!)

Player One - Space Invaders ( Check out the album cover)

Alfa Beta - Space Invaders

The Conceptuols - The Space Invaders(lots of soundbytes from the arcade game on this one)

???(Some Japanese Band) - Disco Space Invaders

And that's not all of them. Discogs.com has even more hits.

• Like 3

Good episode, guys.

For me Space Invaders is more "historic" than "classic." In other words, it derives its significance mostly from the way it inspired future games, rather than how fun it is to play in its own right. I'm sure this is blasphemy to some, but it really does seem to be one of those "you had to be there" games. It's interesting to note that there are games that came just a little bit later--Galaxian comes to mind--that are fun enough that I enjoy them today even though I am too young to have played them in the arcade; not so much with Space Invaders.

Like Sean, the Atari 2600 version of Space Invaders is the very first videogame I ever played in my life, when I was in kindergarten.

• Like 1

Good episode, guys.

For me Space Invaders is more "historic" than "classic." In other words, it derives its significance mostly from the way it inspired future games, rather than how fun it is to play in its own right. I'm sure this is blasphemy to some, but it really does seem to be one of those "you had to be there" games. It's interesting to note that there are games that came just a little bit later--Galaxian comes to mind--that are fun enough that I enjoy them today even though I am too young to have played them in the arcade; not so much with Space Invaders.

Like Sean, the Atari 2600 version of Space Invaders is the very first videogame I ever played in my life, when I was in kindergarten.

Space Invaders is the reason why I wanted a 2600, and I got it right before I turned 11. I was extremely happy with the 2600 version, and it's still a lot of fun and not as frustrating as the arcade version. Unless you're playing game 16. :)

The reason why so many Space Invader clones popped up according to intellivisionlives.com

"Space Armada is a clone of the arcade game Space Invaders. According to Mattel lawyers, the copyright of the original game hadn't been properly protected. Any other company could make their own version as long as they changed the name ("Space Invaders" is a trademark)."

And speaking of Pong, in a way it too was a clone of the Magnavox Odyssey game Table Tennis. Why didn't Atari go after clones of Pong? Because they were being sued by Maganvox for Pong being a clone of Table Tennis! They settled out of court with Atari paying a licensee fee among other agreements.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the reset button works for Space Invaders on the 7800. The only tricks that usually don't work, or have a hard time working on a 7800 are the ones that deals with the 2600 B&W switch (Pause on the 7800).

• 2 weeks later...