539 replies to this topic

#526 Dauber OFFLINE  

Dauber

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,373 posts
  • What's for tea, luv?

Posted Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:37 PM

So, uhhh....we're going to be talking to Jeff Lee, graphic artist who worked at Gottlieb and has illustrated books and other stuff. There's a chance you might have heard of a character he created. Little bouncy guy named Q*Bert?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaanyway...if you have any questions you want us to ask Jeff, please e-mail us said questions to piefactorypodcast @ fab4it . com

#527 schuwalker ONLINE  

schuwalker

Dragonstomper

• 818 posts

Posted Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:31 PM

1942 and Two Tigers

To think about it, I had seen both of these games at Perry Drugs in Dekalb, Il. The Two Tigers cab was even the dedicated version.

1942: Although I prefer '43 over this... I still find '42 enjoyable. Even moreso than '41 - which I thought was blah. There is also a pretty rare version of 1942 licensed from Williams.

Two Tigers: This is still one of my favorite Bally (MCR) games. Just a tad behind Discs of Tron for me. I played the dedicated version at G.G. recently (probably been 30+ years since I played it last). I must say... after played the Tron conversion of T.T. for so many years on Mame; I think I prefer over the dedicated machine. I found the flight yokes took some time getting used to and I much prefer the Tron spinners. 

Some notable differences in the two cabs:

Conversion - uses spinners

- enemy A.I. uses the crosshairs to shoot you down

- you parachute out everytime your plane is hit

Dedicated - uses flight yokes

- enemy A.I. uses flak guns on ship

- plane is just destroyed when hit

- game uses some audio from a 8 track tape

- there is also a throttle button for your plane

I noticed between the two, even the use of the convoluted control scheme on the dedicated machine - I find the game much easier than the Tron conversion. The crosshairs are a beast to contend w/ compared to the Flak guns.

I'm a pretty decent Two Tigers player. My high around the Tron conversion is around 375k; I scored around 400k on the dedicated at Doc's. Which was surprising and sorta supports my theory that the gameplay is easier. I would love to see a video of that 1 million score (if there is one???) Some of those convoys in latter levels, especially ones w/ superstructures and conning towers are a nightmare to destroy quick.

Go to see 6 minute mark to hear the dedicated audio.

Edited by schuwalker, Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:34 PM.

#528 Dauber OFFLINE  

Dauber

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,373 posts
  • What's for tea, luv?

Posted Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:07 PM

EXTRA! EXTRA! PIE FACTORY PODCAST 58 RELEASED!

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,"The Empire Strikes Back," adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna virtvic. Ut Jim ad minim Sean, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco ferg nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in "Paperboy" velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

#529 RJ OFFLINE  

RJ

River Patroller

• 4,305 posts

Posted Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:43 PM

They've been called AT-ATs since 1980 AFAIK. Never heard them referred to as "Imperial walkers" in conversation.

#530 RJ OFFLINE  

RJ

River Patroller

• 4,305 posts

Posted Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:05 AM

You mean the one where Rerun bootlegs the Doobie Brothers' concert performance?

#531 Inky OFFLINE  

Inky

Just a regular dude.

• 24,791 posts
  • Meh

Posted Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:06 AM

You mean the one where Rerun bootlegs the Doobie Brothers' concert performance?

That's the one.

"I be Roger Thomas.  Which Doobie you be?"

• RJ likes this

#532 S1500 OFFLINE  

S1500

River Patroller

• 4,481 posts

Posted Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:30 AM

I remember playing ESB at the Starlog store at the Mall of America(long gone now). What I always did during the asteroid stage(which looked like Rubik's Snakes) was just point my gunsight at the lower right corner, and that dodges about 95% of the asteroids. Then I move onto the next level. 

#533 Inky OFFLINE  

Inky

Just a regular dude.

• 24,791 posts
  • Meh

Posted Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:51 AM

I remember playing ESB at the Starlog store at the Mall of America(long gone now). What I always did during the asteroid stage(which looked like Rubik's Snakes) was just point my gunsight at the lower right corner, and that dodges about 95% of the asteroids. Then I move onto the next level. 

Hmmm...  I was going to the lower left....  I'll need to give that a whirl.

#534 S1500 OFFLINE  

S1500

River Patroller

• 4,481 posts

Posted Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:30 AM

Hmmm...  I was going to the lower left....  I'll need to give that a whirl.

Great minds think alike. I referenced the Rubik's snake(I had one as a kid) before listening up to that point on the 'cast. 

As for Return of the Jedi, I played the one at Galloping Ghost and did amazingly well. I thought I would have smacked into trees left & right, but nope, I buzzed through them. The game gets weird in later levels where you switch back & forth between Endor & outer space with no warning. 

#535 RJ OFFLINE  

RJ

River Patroller

• 4,305 posts

Posted Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:53 PM

That's the one.
"I be Roger Thomas.  Which Doobie you be?"

I probably haven't seen that episode since its debut. For some reason that one always stuck with me; I dont think I could tell the plot line of any other episode. Im not even a Doobies fan.

That's another show I should get back into.

Edited by RJ, Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:55 PM.

#536 SoulBlazer OFFLINE  

SoulBlazer

Quadrunner

• 5,115 posts

Posted Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:34 PM

Okay, I'm really behind in podcasts and catching up, so.....

1942 -- I agree with most of what you guys said about this game.  I loved this game as a kid, but it's not as fun to play today as better shooters have come out.  The music is a noble effort to program the limited hardware of the time to do something, but it gets grating real fast.  I had both 1942 and 1943 for my NES as a kid and 1943 is far and away the better game.  Also, I've never read anything to confirm this, but I think the strangeness about the theme of the game -- a Japanese designed and made game where you play a American fighter pilot destroying the Japanese military -- can be explained by a few reasons: The Japanese don't seem to have a issue with this (there are other games where players do similar things), there's a strong anti-military feeling in Japan's young people today which I think may have influenced the creator as well, and they knew the game would do better in the overseas market compared to the domestic one so they decided to cater to them.  Finally, it was Romstar which published the arcade game under license from Capcom in the States.

Empire Strikes Back -- I like this game, although not as much as Star Wars: The Arcade Game, which is one of my all time favorite arcade games, and it's not JUST cause I'm a big Star Wars fan.  I'd only seen ESB in the arcades once, and never knew it was just a conversion kit only until years later.  If the numbers you guys reported in the podcast of kits are correct, that explains why it's so rare.  Also, I agree with the thought that with Star Wars still earning money a lot of operators didn't want to convert it and take a risk on it.  You guys misspoke slightly in the podcast -- Empire Strikes Back as the SECOND Star Wars movie made but the THIRD Star Wars game, as they were done out of order.  Also, I believe this was one of the last vector arcade games, cause by 1985 they had fallen out of favor due to reliability problems.  I really like the increased use of voices in the game and the battle of Hoth was very cool with the ability to shoot down the AT-AT's as well as use the tow cables on them, but I agree the game is just 'missing' something.

Regarding something else said in the podcast about being able to score hits on a 'weak point' on the AT-AT to bring it down as opposed to using the tow cable on it to trip it up -- that has some basis in fact, as that 'weak point' is in the movie as well.  Snowspeaders were designed to just 'hover' above the ground....I'm not sure how high they can go, but it's not that high, and certinaly not enough to go up above a AT-AT.  So they can't reach the weak point on the AT-AT, which is a spot just behind their head where the command center is (as shown in both the game and the movie).  In the movie it's only after a AT-AT is tripped up with the tow cables and brought down, and is in the.....well, I don't know what to call it, so I'll just say the 'ass up, face down' position....that the weak point is both low enough and exposed enough for a snowspeader to hit it, causing the whole thing to go boom.  I figure the game designers changed things around some so you could defeat a AT-AT by either using the tow cable OR shooting the weak point, which I don't mind for the sake of gameplay.  And yes, tripping up a AT-AT with the tow cables never gets old for me.  You get it to do it several later generation Star Wars game and it's a blast flying around the legs in 3D and pulling it off!

Paperboy -- really fun game in the arcade, with that unique control scheme and all of that voice!  Very difficult game also to do well in.  Starting off, the best advice that I can give is to just focus on trying to keep one or two houses as subscribers and try to master how to handle your bike, dodge enemies, and throw your papers to hit your targets with precise moves.  Once you get those down you can do well in the game.  Also, you didn't mention the grim reaper, who comes out starting in later stages and will kill you REAL fast unless your a good player and can quickly get around and beyond him!  I had the NES version of this as a kid also and disagree, I found this to be a really fun and good port of the arcade game, just missing the voices.  The Master System looks better but I think it handles worse. 

FInally, in regards to the lawsuit -- I really don't think the kids idea was ripped off.  I suspect Atari had in place at the time the same policy that Mattel Electronics did when game ideas came to them in the mail.  From the Blue Sky Rangers website:

Dear Hal,
Did you guys see the game idea I sent to Mattel?

hal.gifSorry, no. The legal department intercepted all unsolicited game ideas and filed them unread. No one in Applications Software or Marketing was allowed to see them. That way, if someone sued because a released game resembled his submission, Mattel would be able to demonstrate in court that no one associated with game design could have seen it. While to our knowledge no one ever did sue, even today we get e-mail from people claiming we stole their ideas. We didn't. It was a coincidence. Honest.

(taken from: http://www.intellivi...l/askhal.html#8 )

It just seems like a solid idea that every game company then -- and NOW -- should have. 

Finally, thanks for the coverage of Black Widow.  I never saw this game in the arcades, tried it on the Atari Vault when I first got it and wasn't impressed by it, but after hearing your podcast and learning what was going on I tried again with my Xbox 360 controller (with the twin thumbsticks) and found I really enjoyed it now that I knew how to play!  Need to spend more time with this one.

Edited by SoulBlazer, Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:36 PM.

#537 Dauber OFFLINE  

Dauber

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,373 posts
  • What's for tea, luv?

Posted Wed Aug 2, 2017 4:09 PM

Two games. Two arcade games. You play 'em. You shoot stuff. And one of the games has a dangling preposition in the title. And this will be the final Pie Factory Podcast episode until the next one. Which will be 60. Followed by 61 and 68, with possible episodes in between. Mark your calendar as such.

#538 RJ OFFLINE  

RJ

River Patroller

• 4,305 posts

Posted Thu Aug 3, 2017 1:50 AM

What, no one reacted when Sean said he had to give Chiller "a shot"?

#539 Inky OFFLINE  

Inky

Just a regular dude.

• 24,791 posts
  • Meh

Posted Thu Aug 3, 2017 10:01 AM

What, no one reacted when Sean said he had to give Chiller "a shot"?

My sincerest apologies for missing that.

Kinda like how when MST3K did the movie "Space Mutiny," yet nobody made a comment about the fact that the special effects were actually stolen from Battlestar Galactica.

#540 Dauber OFFLINE  

Dauber

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,373 posts
  • What's for tea, luv?

Posted Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:14 AM

EPISODE 60 HAS BEEN RELEASED.

Despite our best efforts at putting out a quality Podcast, Jeff Lee, creative genius behind Q*Bert, managed to sit through an entire episode to talk to us about his games, books, artwork, and other hobbies. If there ever was an episode of a podcast, this certainly is one of them.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users