646 replies to this topic

#576 Dauber OFFLINE  

Dauber

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,675 posts
  • What's for tea, luv?

Posted Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:12 PM

Whoa...didn't we release a final episode for 2017? Heh...well, the thing about that is....HERE'S A BONUS EPISODE!!

Jim and Sean offer you a holiday gift: an extra episode! The Pie Factory hosts aren't too afraid of...public speaking...to offer one more...broadcast...for 2017. Normally they talk about video games, but this time they get...behind the microphone...another way to talk about a topic pertinent to their past lives. For the...record...this episode's transmission may make your head spin! We hope you stay...stationary...and don't get...carted...away! In fact, we hope you end up walking on...the air!

#577 S1500 OFFLINE  

S1500

River Patroller

• 4,788 posts

Posted Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:36 AM

How do you know your state has the Mississippi river in it? You have radio stations that begin with K and W.

#578 Inky OFFLINE  

Inky

Gobs of money!

• 25,879 posts
  • Meh

Posted Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:01 AM

How do you know your state has the Mississippi river in it? You have radio stations that begin with K and W.

Not entirely true.  There's one radio station in Pittsburgh that starts with a K.  That's because it was the first commercially operating radio station in the US.

#579 S1500 OFFLINE  

S1500

River Patroller

• 4,788 posts

Posted Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:06 AM

Not entirely true.  There's one radio station in Pittsburgh that starts with a K.  That's because it was the first commercially operating radio station in the US.

Does KSHE ring a bell? Some rock station that had a pig for a mascot? 

#580 Inky OFFLINE  

Inky

Gobs of money!

• 25,879 posts
  • Meh

Posted Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:07 AM

Here's a reference.  Apparently the original line for the cutoff between W and K was along the western borders of the Dakotas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas, but in  1923, it was moved east to the Mississippi river...

kwbigmap.gif

kwtoday.gif

The key to the colors:
Purple: 1920-1921 anomaly--KDKA. 
Blue: pre-January 1923 boundary shift--WBAP, WDAY, WEW, WHB, WJAG, WKY, WNAX, WOAI, WOC, WOI, WTAW. 
Gray: ex-portable--WBBZ, WIBW, WMBH. 
Dark Green: moved to other side of the Mississippi-- KSGM. 
Red: requested call--KFNS, KWAM, WDBQ, WHO, WMT, WSUI, WUMY. 
Light Green: government assigned call--KTGG. 
Black: reason unknown--KFIZ, KQV, KYW. 

Edited by Inky, Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:19 AM.

#581 Inky OFFLINE  

Inky

Gobs of money!

• 25,879 posts
  • Meh

Posted Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:15 AM

A correction...

Spoiler

#582 Dauber OFFLINE  

Dauber

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,675 posts
  • What's for tea, luv?

Posted Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:49 AM

More info about W and K:

http://www.straightd...-west-revisited

#583 S1500 OFFLINE  

S1500

River Patroller

• 4,788 posts

Posted Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:51 AM

I listened to John Lennons "Kiss Kiss Kiss", and I want my 3 minutes back. I had my mother's cassette copy of Double Fantasy, and remember skipping past all the Yoko Ono tracks. And now I know why. 

#584 Dauber OFFLINE  

Dauber

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,675 posts
  • What's for tea, luv?

Posted Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:13 AM

"Yes, I'm Your Angel" is actually pretty listenable. Until you realize that its a ripoff of "Makin' Whoopie."

#585 Dauber OFFLINE  

Dauber

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,675 posts
  • What's for tea, luv?

Posted Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:14 AM

WTF happened to my apostrophes and quote marks?!?!?

EDIT: fixed them on a computer. (Original message was typed on a phone.)

#586 ferghead OFFLINE  

ferghead

Dragonstomper

• 551 posts

Posted Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:26 AM

Just pretend youre Michael Stipe.

#587 Inky OFFLINE  

Inky

Gobs of money!

• 25,879 posts
  • Meh

Posted Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:43 PM

#588 Dauber OFFLINE  

Dauber

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,675 posts
  • What's for tea, luv?

Posted Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:47 PM

I think it sounds like "Mmmmm. I'm not hot mama."

#589 RJ OFFLINE  

RJ

River Patroller

• 4,625 posts

Posted Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:27 AM

Was that restaurant crowd noise real or fake?

Sounds like they were exceeding the fire code that day.

#590 Dauber OFFLINE  

Dauber

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,675 posts
  • What's for tea, luv?

Posted Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:40 AM

That was real. Tonys is a popular (and cheap!) restaurant.

#591 Dauber OFFLINE  

Dauber

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,675 posts
  • What's for tea, luv?

Posted Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:50 AM

Everybody's fourth-favorite midwestern video game podcast hosts have returned from their monthlong tour of Europe, Scandinavia, and the subcontinent with deep thoughts about Battlezone and Juno First. Shirley this episode will go down in history as "The Show Notes Episode."

#592 Inky OFFLINE  

Inky

Gobs of money!

• 25,879 posts
  • Meh

Posted Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:48 AM

Apologies for the audio on my side.  I'm still trying to work through the issues...

#593 S1500 OFFLINE  

S1500

River Patroller

• 4,788 posts

Posted Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:06 AM

Ah darn, I'm late for my deep thoughts on the First of Juno. Great game. Even the title font(checkbook) is the right choice. 

#594 Inky OFFLINE  

Inky

Gobs of money!

• 25,879 posts
  • Meh

Posted Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:25 PM

Ah darn, I'm late for my deep thoughts on the First of Juno. Great game. Even the title font(checkbook) is the right choice. 

Dang! We should have done that game at the end of May!

#595 Dauber OFFLINE  

Dauber

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,675 posts
  • What's for tea, luv?

Posted Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:46 PM

What? You thought Sean and Jim would let January end without you getting another episode in your podcast player?! Pshaw! Here with the long-awaited episode 69 are your beloved hosts waxing philosophical about two early '80s space games. We're sure to sell a million units...in January.

#596 S1500 OFFLINE  

S1500

River Patroller

• 4,788 posts

Posted Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:45 PM

The history of bad voiceovers in video games is interesting.

Listen to Vanguard. It sounds like a bored, sleepy teenager reading you the specials at Burger King.

Listen to SOCOM(Playstation 2). It's a military game, but with cheerful 1950s nuclear family dad voiceovers("outgoing!"), when a grenade is tossed,  sounding nothing like the drill sergant guy from Full Metal Jacket. 

#597 nosweargamer OFFLINE  

nosweargamer

Dragonstomper

• 873 posts

Posted Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:46 PM

BTW, thanks for doing the Radio Ep. It was a great listen!

Some questions: Since the music radio stations play is copyrighted, do they have to pay in some way to play the music, like some sort of license or royalty deal, or is there some kind of understanding that the radio station doesn't have to pay, since they are promoting the artists and their albums? And is there any music a radio station can't legally play for some reason?

I know TV stations have to pay for their content and can only show what they own or have permission to show, but I wondered if radio was different.

Special Episode Idea: Your 5 favorite 5 continues games.

I don't know how many 5 continues games you each have, but I'm curious what your best of the best is so far.

#598 Inky OFFLINE  

Inky

Gobs of money!

• 25,879 posts
  • Meh

Posted Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:54 PM

BTW, thanks for doing the Radio Ep. It was a great listen!

Some questions: Since the music radio stations play is copyrighted, do they have to pay in some way to play the music, like some sort of license or royalty deal, or is there some kind of understanding that the radio station doesn't have to pay, since they are promoting the artists and their albums? And is there any music a radio station can't legally play for some reason?

I know TV stations have to pay for their content and can only show what they own or have permission to show, but I wondered if radio was different.

Special Episode Idea: Your 5 favorite 5 continues games.

I don't know how many 5 continues games you each have, but I'm curious what your best of the best is so far.

I believe that radio stations have to pay a fee to ASCAP for the license to play music.  Having not been in the music diirector's position, I couldn't tell you.

As far as music you can't play, the FCC for the longest time used George Carlin's "Seven words you can never say on Television" routine as a baseline.  Outside foul language, I think each station makes their own rules.  I recall the song "Rock Star" by Nickleback was censored by Bonneville broadcasting stations.  They bleeped out the word "drug" in the song.

We did do a "rethinking the 5's" episode about a year ago with Ferg... http://fab4it.com/piefactory/audio/PFP_Episode045.mp3 Does that count?

#599 nosweargamer OFFLINE  

nosweargamer

Dragonstomper

• 873 posts

Posted Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:31 PM

I believe that radio stations have to pay a fee to ASCAP for the license to play music.  Having not been in the music diirector's position, I couldn't tell you.

As far as music you can't play, the FCC for the longest time used George Carlin's "Seven words you can never say on Television" routine as a baseline.  Outside foul language, I think each station makes their own rules.  I recall the song "Rock Star" by Nickleback was censored by Bonneville broadcasting stations.  They bleeped out the word "drug" in the song.

We did do a "rethinking the 5's" episode about a year ago with Ferg... http://fab4it.com/piefactory/audio/PFP_Episode045.mp3 Does that count?

So the license basically covers it all. I was wondering if it was something like that.

I recall that ep, but did you give your favorite fives, or just if the fives were still worth fives?

No matter, even if you did, it's something you could revist every year, since you are constantly finding new five continues games.

#600 Dauber OFFLINE  

Dauber

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,675 posts
  • What's for tea, luv?

Posted Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:36 AM

Question: What did Sean get wrong *this time*? Answer: it’s probably somewhere in this episode. So is a missing sequined glove (probably). Anyway, just listen to episode 70. Because that’s what it certainly is: an episode.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users