IGNORED

I asked John Romero about Jaguar Quake...his reply.....

Lost Dragon

:-) well, Creature Shock, Magic Carpet, Conan etc put to bed of late and i'd already interviewed I.D's Dave Taylor and asked about Jaguar Quake, John Carmac i'd tried to contact, but had no luck, so..John Romero was next obvious choice to ask about Jaguar Quake, so i emailed him 2 days ago and his reply:

"Hi Ross,

I can’t really say whether the port started because I left id only 6 weeks after shipping Quake. If a Jag port was started it would have been after I left, and I never heard any rumors about it.

Practically speaking, there’s no way the Jaguar could have done it. It could barely handle DOOM

Best,

John"

I know my methods of research and outdated web devices are subject of much mockery on here :-), let alone my multiple posts :-) but with NO official Lost Jaguar Games thread on here, info on Quake/Tomb Raider/Creature shock/Conan/Magic Carpet etc has to go somewhere.

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 4

The misc research stuff like this, Magic Carpet i've had no real option but to take route i have.

Conan info? well thread/s already existed, so threw it in there.

I did say for all the flak i took over means i use, i do put the time in and do the leg work to find out just what happened and why, multiple sources where possible etc.

I'm happy for someone to take all my findings on Creature shock, Quake, Magic Carpet, Conan, MK3 etc etc and put them in 1 big Lost games updates type thread, but without being harsh here, it's costing me enough time just getting the info and sharing it as is.I really do need help putting it all in 1 place...

I can only do what i can, is'nt it better at least for now info is shared as soon as it comes in?

If folks are'nt 'happy' with my routes on here, sorry, but only other option is to pass it onto Unseen64 and folks check in there.I'm out of options.

Edited by Lost Dragon

I'm happy for someone to take all my findings on Creature shock, Quake, Magic Carpet, Conan, MK3 etc etc and put them in 1 big Lost games updates type thread, but without being harsh here, it's costing me enough time just getting the info and sharing it as is.I really do need help putting it all in 1 place...

Why don't you do it?

If folks are'nt 'happy' with my routes on here, sorry, but only other option is to pass it onto Unseen64 and folks check in there.I'm out of options.

Actually, another option is to dedicate a single thread to these "findings" here and update that.

• Like 1

I like your digging for lost games, keep it up and one day you might strike gold, who knows.

You're like the proto hunter in the neo geo community. That guy is even much more extreme, and he has found several proto games. Like finding a needle in a h...
http://www.neogeoprotos.com/

If you like digging, talking with ghosts from the past with slim chance to find any demos or what ever, I like the info coming.

You have all rights to post here, as long as you are polite and respect those forum laws, those trowing stones at you might step closer to breaking forum laws than you, who in lots of times keep you temper low while people rage against you.

Continue what you like to do. I read (some) of it LOL (not the techno magic, don't understand it)

• Like 1

I appreciate you digging for this info, but so many threads are created and so many random posts are made about the interviews within existing threads, I doubt I'm the only one who skips over them without even reading them. If you keep everything consolidated in a single thread (kind of like Fdurso's Neo-Geo thread in the Classic Gaming General section--a thread that is now thriving because of the consolidation, mind you), it keeps things clean and makes everyone's life easier.

• Like 4

GORSH!! You got font from John Romero!! :-o :love:

Maybe if they made a CD version with waaay reduced textures and some other limitations (possibly just shade the ceiling or floors (or both) ala SNES, a weird, hybrid version could be pieced together!?! Maybe use the Skyhammer engine. I don't know, though. I still think they could have put the music in Doom somehow. Quake is a different beast altogether. Aiming, jumping, 3D enemies, HUGE levels. You're making me want to hunt down an N64 again and play that version. Doom 64 is AWESOME, too! I have Quake, Quake II, and a modded version of Quake III for the PC (hot chicks everywhere) that I really like, but the first one still has a place in my heart as one of the best games.

• Like 1

i have quake 1 and 2 for my n64 and they rock 64 bit 1000 years to come.

it is not pc, but console, and i respect the games for that. we have played 4 player multi in quake 2 lots of times and boy did we laugh!

it's alot of fun looking at where the others at, on the 4 split screen and knowing the level you can surprise them/be in their face over and over, so fun, the stress the bad players build up newer able to be alone

it is not pc but this fun is unique and can be played at the n64 - the perfect 64-bit, looks so basic 3d cool and runs good/great

• Like 1

@Austin:It's pretty much a mute point now, as the interviews (BJ West Black ice/White Noise and Peter Calver, Audiogenic) i pased onto Albert (who's got enough on as is) who kindly offered to clean them up and host them here, i've now given to Unseen 64 and Grumpy Old Gamers.

I've had to jump through hoops since i joined here, people initally refusing to believe oi was who i said i was (seriousily? that was a poor showing), mocking the means i use to do my research-funny thing is, primitive as it is, it got the results mainstream press let alone those with PC's, Facebbok etc, did'nt seem to turn up and i'm proud to have found what i have on Creature Shock/Quake/Tomb Raider/Conan+Magic Carpet, let alonre the misc other findings.
I appreciate what your saying about multiple threads, hence thinking the other forums are the best places, people can search for what they want on Unseen64, there's just 1 dedicated Retro section on Grumpy, so won't be impossible to find either interview.

As for what people make of the findings themselves? that's 100% upto them, if they want to believe Quake, Tomb Raider etc were feasable projects on Jag, it's not for me to say other wise, ditto the 'status' of MK3, Creature shock, Conan etc.I simply searched for the people, asked the questions, shared the answers.If that's me talking bile or people want to claim likes of Alexander Holland, Darryl Still etc 'never said that', great, ask'em.If the Core design PR guys interview proved nothing other than Edge told lies? knock yourself out, it proved people were hanging onto a false belief as 'proof' they used was in fact mock up screens.

Lifes far too short, work far too busy to chat further (oh and it's £'s here in UK, not $'s :-) ) for me to explain myself any further.

Glad the info itself has gone down well.

Now, i'd best get ready for work.

• Like 1

I appreciate you digging for this info, but so many threads are created and so many random posts are made about the interviews within existing threads, I doubt I'm the only one who skips over them without even reading them.

You aren't, the visual clutter drowns out the messages.

So finally, we get the most important answer of all:

Like we needed Carmack to know that... :D

• Like 5

While only the most devout Jaguar die-hards would ever think pulling off a recognizable Quake on Jaguar would be possible, it is unfortunate that the Jaguar never got more Doom-, and in particular, more Wolfenstein-engine games in its arsenal. Its main competitor at the time, 3DO, certainly got more than its fair share of FPS games. Perhaps if the Jaguar and then Jaguar CD weren't total flops, that might have been a strategy on the CD unit assuming either engine would fit within any technical restrictions presented by the add-on.

• Like 4

The port of Wolf 3D then AvP and Towers II showed that the Jag could do that type of game just fine and I agree, it would have been nice to see more. There was LEgions of the Undead which used an improved AvP engine; AvP 2 probably would have ended up using something along those lines. I imagine that ports of games like Catacombs: Abyss or Blake Stone would run quite well on the hardware.

@Lost Dragon - You can sign up for a free Wordpress blog and just run things there. That would improve the collection of the information as you can dedicate posts to information on one game.

• Like 3

:-) well, Creature Shock, Magic Carpet, Conan etc put to bed of late and i'd already interviewed I.D's Dave Taylor and asked about Jaguar Quake, John Carmac i'd tried to contact, but had no luck, so..John Romero was next obvious choice to ask about Jaguar Quake, so i emailed him 2 days ago and his reply:

"Hi Ross,

I can’t really say whether the port started because I left id only 6 weeks after shipping Quake. If a Jag port was started it would have been after I left, and I never heard any rumors about it.

Practically speaking, there’s no way the Jaguar could have done it. It could barely handle DOOM

Best,

John"

I know my methods of research and outdated web devices are subject of much mockery on here :-), let alone my multiple posts :-) but with NO official Lost Jaguar Games thread on here, info on Quake/Tomb Raider/Creature shock/Conan/Magic Carpet etc has to go somewhere.

I don't know. Someone should point him to the Quake 2 video running on a stock Falcon. Granted, it had a ton more RAM and he did say practically but after seeing what was done on the Falcon, I would believe just about anything to be possible haha... and I still think Doom was a shit port so it's whatever.

"Hi Ross,

Best,

John"

Wow, the Jaguar barely being able to handle Doom is news to me. And a ton of other people and John Carmack etc.

Well you've had Dave Taylor's thoughts on Jaguar harware, now Romero's, so it's no longer valid for people to say I.D were big fans of the hardware, Carmac perhaps, but I.D as a team? not so much it now seems.

@Clint:Look out for BJ West's interview upcoming on Unseen64 i did, he talks anbout huge issues limited Ram on Jaguar caused.

Anyone that's not overly happy about people who actually coded commercial games on the Jaguar, not exactly praising the hardware, might want to avoid said interview, he's very 'open' about Atari's handling of Jaguar, the Hardware itself, it's games....

I found the comments very refreshing, but it's not going to suit all tastes.

Well you've had Dave Taylor's thoughts on Jaguar harware, now Romero's, so it's no longer valid for people to say I.D were big fans of the hardware, Carmac perhaps, but I.D as a team? not so much it now seems.

I found the comments very refreshing, but it's not going to suit all tastes.

Well since Carmack is by far the smartest of the bunch I'll take it. And Romero got fired I believe for a bad work ethic. Dave Taylor, who's that?

Of course Romero could just be referring to the memory available to run Doom.

Or he may be thinking of the SNES.

Dave Taylor is the one Romero credits for 25% of the Jaguar version of Doom coding in the STF interview where Carmack+Romero are asked about Doom, Doom 2 and Wolfenstien 3D on Jaguar.

No, Romero was not thinking about the SNES as i asked a very specific, Jaguar related question, got a ver Jaguar specific answer.

And going from these choice replies from BJ West:

' That said, the Jag hardware wasn't really up to what what we wanted to do.

Whatever power the chipset had was totally hamstrung by the lack of RAM, so

our texture maps were tiny and chunky'

' When all was said and done, the hardware performance question was

completely moot, because, with the exception of Aliens vs. Predator, nearly

all the games were disappointing to awful.'

There's not a huge amount of love for the Jaguar from many who worked on commercial projects on it at the time, these days..and that's even before they start talking about Atari themselves.

Edited by Lost Dragon

And in same spirt of Developers talking about Jaguar/Atari themselves.Snippet from interview with Audiogenic i did, which should be up on Grumpy Old Gamers in a day or 2:

'When it came to the Jaguar - which was of great interest - it was

Atari who rejected us, because they wanted blockbuster games.'

Yay Atari, scorn the very developers you needed and who wanted to get behind your console...genius move, simply genius.

BJ's interview goes into far greater depth into the thought processes at Atari at the time.The Club Drive and Crescent galaxy stuff in particular do explain just why they turned out way they did.