IGNORED

Rana 1000 - FSM

Bit of a shot in the dark i know

but does anyone have a .PDF copy of the Field Service Manual for the

Rana Systems 1000 (atari) floppy drive?

thanks

thanks for trying - but that's the standard manual - which i already have.

was trying to locate the Field Service Manual (if it exists)

but thanks anyway

Does not exist. A brief service manual can be purchased from Paul Alhart (who wrote it). If you search this forum for him, you should find an email to contact him. IIRC, it is something like $10.

-Larry

• 4 months later...

Any one have pics of one? All info i have found so far says nothing about a printer port.

James

I was reading this thread and wishing it had come up when I had Larry's 6502 Rana board here when I was working on the US ROM... Well, I found the board here so I guess I forgot to send it back! (Sorry Larry!)

Looking at the board, I do see a spot for a 26 pin header, and a socket for the LS374. I can guarantee that there was never code in the ROM to support a printer device. I can only assume they thought to put it in as the Trak drives at the time had one.. I could write it into the code, and stuff the parts, but I have no way to test that as I don't have a parallel port printer anywhere!

post-14188-0-46737200-1442497510_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This is the most recent Rana 1000 thread, so its the one I decided to resurrect to help with my problem.

Mr. Martian seems to be the most knowledgeable about the drive but he no longer seems to be active on the forum.

Larry if your reading this and can help that would be awesome.

I have a new to me Rana 1000 - I have not taken it apart yet.. it works for the most part.. the speed is a little off though 295rpm.. Would like to adjust it.. but no service manual.

1. Is that manual that was made years ago still available anywhere? or did it go public?

2. Would like to look into the upgraded ROM that was done in the other thread. Larry?

So if anyone can help.. I am open to help here.

James

edit - took it apart - I have the 8031 with the 8mhz crystal. U12 the p2732a-3 is the rom in mine, but its not an eprom? I would love to put the final rom that MrMartian did.. I have a burner, but I would need the eprom. I think you ran that didnt you Larry.. and it worked with all?

Mine works right now.. np - I think I am getting all density.. I have formated DD and SD .. not sure about ED. I gain what by burning a new image?? just bug fixes and Ultra Skew? US DOUB? what?

Edited by Bikerbob

yes, the manual that came boxed with the drive is definitely still around.

I have a pristine copy in my boxed Rana and also a pdf somewhere..

here you go:

Rana 1000 Installation Guide.pdf

also, I know it's been mentioned before, but Paul Alhart has completed a really nice/thorough Repair Manual for $10

Edited by Guest

It's been several years, but I remember that USpd worked in single and DD. Don't know about ED, since I don't use it.

Here are the 3 rom images that I have in my archive. Don't remember if the good one for the 8031 is the old or new version. It would be useful to look a bit into the old thread(s). Easy to search for the threads -- use the advanced and use RANA with MrMartain as the poster. Should come right up without too much additional looking.

I'll look for the speed pot and see what I can find in the manual. AFAIK, Paul Alhart still sells the manual -- cheap, so if you're going to do much with the Rana it would be a worthwhile investment.

-Larry

Rana USPd.zip

Well Larry, I did, and I just did again.. the last reference to that name on here is 2014.. and I found no user by that name. So unless someone has better information the best I can find is a 4 year old reference to a email address and a three year old reference to a telephone number.

James

Well Larry, I did, and I just did again.. the last reference to that name on here is 2014.. and I found no user by that name. So unless someone has better information the best I can find is a 4 year old reference to a email address and a three year old reference to a telephone number.

James

I don't like posting folks emails.

The search gave his email in the first result. So I just re-checked, and here is a link -- post #3:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/236706-1050-help/?do=findComment&comment=3207681

-Larry

• 1 month later...

My modification of my Rana 1000 worked great.

I replaced the 8mhz crystal with 12mhz and burnt the new rom from MrMartian on my willem and tada.. I have a much faster drive. I have tried several loads.. Qmeg os saw the Happy speed right away and booted with that, but even regular speed was faster.

James

• Like 2