IGNORED

Lost all my games and systems

I am sorry to hear this. I have known multiple individuals over the years who have lost everything due to theft. I can't imagine what I would do if it happened to me and it's definitely one of my biggest worries with the collection I have. I am insured, but it's to my understanding that insurance companies won't cover everything (or if so, won't give you the full amount/value back). I hope the local authorities are able to track down the perpetrators and can recover at least some of your things.

Rotten, filthy bastards. Do you think it was a random break-in or was it perhaps someone that you know? It could also be the case of an acquaintance that happened to tell another person, in this case a very unsavory one, about you collection. Not out of malice or anything but just simple conversation. The scum bag hearing it though would view it as an opportunity. You should ask the people that you know that are aware of your stuff if they have conversed about it to anyone lately.

• Like 1

Im in Arkansas. Old, new, they took everything. I filed a report but they flat out told me not to expect much. No proof. Insurance lapsed several months ago after mom passed away and so im not covered for anything. Dumb on my part. Never had this happen before.

Hey man, I'm really sorry to hear that. If I remember correctly, weren't you in a situation where you were thinking you might lose the house, or your family was trying to take it, and you were unemployed? If you're the same person I'm thinking of... maybe this is another nudge that you need to pick up and start over. If you don't have anything going for you over there, there's a bunch of states that are hiring. I love South Florida personally... Fort Lauderdale, Miami, it's awesome... lots of jobs down here.

does anyone think 'we' are too trusting on public forums and ebay. not to say a fellow collector did it. it was probably random?

was anything else stolen? or JUST your games?

Last year around Christmas there was a string of thefts of packages off of front porches in my city. The local news made it worse when they reported about a woman who got caught trying to pawn unopened stuff and the pawn shops wouldn't take it. Apparently that gave a bunch of idiots the bright idea that they could drive by houses and pick off lonely packages on the porch.

Well, I got hit. My neighbors told me they saw a guy taking a package off my porch. One of them even said something to him, but the guy just told him that he was a friend of mine. We think that all he got was some cheap book for my nephew which was replaced by Amazon, BUT I had a sneaking suspicion that someone from AtariAge looked up my address and was trying to snatch my prototype copy of Sharknado. I know this is paranoid especially considering the fact that this was happening around my area, but the thought did occur to me.

• Like 1

Terrible situation! I feel for you kind sir!

I was thinking for the longest time to put my collection in a self storage location where I stay. They have good coverage for your protection and security is tight as well in my area!

Anthony....

Cops just filed report. Nothing else. Laptop, tv, u name it. Games were sega cd/genesis stuff, dreamcast stuff, PS2, PS1, Atari 5200 and 40 games, Intellivision, Gamecube. I'm disabled so trying to get all this bac\k is probably gonna be very hard. No real money to spend so im not sure if i can even continue this as a hobby after this..:(

Man that is so crappy. I don't keep a lot of value in my apartment other than gaming stuff, but some of my collection is worth some money. My Jaguar stuff alone would easily costs two or three grand to replace at eBay prices.

..so im not sure if i can even continue this as a hobby after this.. :(

Maybe you could switch to emulation? It's a whole different way of gaming but it is theft-proof and in some ways better than the real thing. More versatile, cheaper, faster, space-saving, non-degrading, highly configurable.. the list goes on.

I'm not allowed to have videogame consoles anymore. So I switched to emulation many years ago, almost 20. And I couldn't be happier!

Terrible situation! I feel for you kind sir!

I was thinking for the longest time to put my collection in a self storage location where I stay. They have good coverage for your protection and security is tight as well in my area!

Anthony....

For short amount of time (about a year or so) I made use of a StorageMart Self-Storage locker. And I swear I got so damned lucky. I had all my Apple II material in there while we were remodeling and renovating. And for no explainable reason I had the urge to start bringing the stuff back home. I started 2 weeks ahead of the pre-planned date. Lo and behold the place was broken into.

They went through the remaining bric-a-brac in my locker as well as 20 or 30 other lockers. There was nothing of value in mine. So nothing was taken. Had we stuck with the planned clear-out day I could have lost my entire Apple II collection.

A note of caution: StorageMart didn't (and still does not) use security cameras. So if you're looking for a secure storage place look elsewhere. Not to mention their recent price increases which are occurring more and more frequently.

• Like 2

Maybe you could switch to emulation? It's a whole different way of gaming but it is theft-proof and in some ways better than the real thing. More versatile, cheaper, faster, space-saving, non-degrading, highly configurable.. the list goes on.

I'm not allowed to have videogame consoles anymore. So I switched to emulation many years ago, almost 20. And I couldn't be happier!

For short amount of time (about a year or so) I made use of a StorageMart Self-Storage locker. And I swear I got so damned lucky. I had all my Apple II material in there while we were remodeling and renovating. And for no explainable reason I had the urge to start bringing the stuff back home. I started 2 weeks ahead of the pre-planned date. Lo and behold the place was broken into.

They went through the remaining bric-a-brac in my locker as well as 20 or 30 other lockers. There was nothing of value in mine. So nothing was taken. Had we stuck with the planned clear-out day I could have lost my entire Apple II collection.

A note of caution: StorageMart didn't (and still does not) use security cameras. So if you're looking for a secure storage place look elsewhere. Not to mention their recent price increases which are occurring more and more frequently.

Understood. Thank you for the good advice.

Anthony...

This is crap!

As someone suggested it probably was someone that knew somehow.

The list of machines and games you mentionned (not counting your other electronics) prove that whoever came in either had lot of time in is hand, or knew what he was coming for. The usual, petty thief look for things that have high value and small size.

Between the shiny 180 cm TV 4K 3D and the Iphone 6, he will take the iPhone 6, because that's 1000$/E into his pocket. Or anything that can sell fast.

Here it feel that if was planned, he or they broke in, probably with cardboard boxes, packed your stuff into a van and went away.

Have you asked people nearby if they saw something unusual? A van, a pick-up truck?

I have been robbed, in very assholish conditions; the building I lived in caught fire. My room wasn't damaged the slightest, but for safety reasons we were all forced to move for the building to be checked.

Between the time where firemen broke the door to check the room and the time I was allowed to pick up my stuff, other inhabitants (who else?) sneaked in my room and stole....

a 10" Android tablet... and a fucking multiband Soviet radio. Not the PS3, not the Xbox 360, not the TV.

THE

RADIO

(yeah, it was a high quality radio, I'm still pissed of, unlike for the tablet).

• Like 1

Crazy...sorry to hear that. My advice to everyone who doesn't do this already

1. Document your collection, spreadsheet and photos (update every few months.)

2. Insure it

3. Police report if robbed

4. Insurance Claim

5. Keep an eye on all flip sources, CL/Ebay/Pawnshops. Thief will probably want to sell quickly to buy more heroin/meth/etc..

Can anyone help me with some games and a couple of systems? Maybe someone has a bunch of doubles or spare stuff just lying around. I ran across several pics of my old collection. Couldn't have been anyone I know. We never have anyone over and we don't know anyone. Were pretty much hermits. Must have been a random hit. There have been others that were victim to the same.

All I can do is add my sympathies, Video Invader. I feel so bad this has happened to you. :(

Thieves are everywhere. My CC was hacked a few days ago, somehow. And we just got a new one, with the chip inside it. Thieves charged airline and travel vacation expenses, maxing it out. And also, a family member's tax refund was stolen! It seems thieves are getting people's tax info somehow, and are claiming the refund before the real person does. There seems to be nothing the Fed or IRS can do about it, you're just out of your refund if this happens. (you can go the H&R Block and purchase a security code protection - this will prevent this from happening next year...).

Again, sorry for the loss of your collection. But it's just stuff, try to view it as that so it doesn't drive you nuts. Think of how exciting it will be for you as you slowly rebuild your collection.

I don't know if the OP is going to rebuild the collection or not. I don't think I would though. I tried re-starting and getting back into collecting at one time, around the early 1990's, but I couldn't get into it. Stuff was impossible to find, and classic games weren't classic games yet. VCS and Intellivision would be considered flotsam and e-waste at the time.

There was no ebay, AA, craigslist, or anyplace else on the internet from which to purchase from. Every cartridge re-purchase would require what seemed like an hour or two to bag.. Driving to and from the stores and keeping an eye up on the local papers and all that. Just way too much tedium and inconvenience for what was turning out to be substandard and thinned out merchandise anyways.

Then I discovered emulation and never looked back!

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

I guess I'm out. Emulation just hasn't worked for me. Lack of a decent CPU or graphics ability. Lack of a good controller and being forced to memorize and use keys on the keyboard. Issues setting up emulators and dealing with missing .dll files. Crappy download speeds, not to mention lag or issues with speed. Cant afford a decent computer anyway. I miss my Sega cd the most. Plus it played burn games too.

I guess I'm out. Emulation just hasn't worked for me. Lack of a decent CPU or graphics ability. Lack of a good controller and being forced to memorize and use keys on the keyboard. Issues setting up emulators and dealing with missing .dll files. Crappy download speeds, not to mention lag or issues with speed. Cant afford a decent computer anyway. I miss my Sega cd the most. Plus it played burn games too.

You don't need a very fast computer for Genesis\Sega-CD emulation. Kega Fusion is all you'd need. http://www.carpeludum.com/kega-fusion/

For a controller, you can get a decent Sega USB gamepad for not too much money. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/PC-Play-Sega-USB-Controller-Control-Pad-Brand-New-Saturn-Style-/231550086344?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35e975ecc8

Edited by goldenegg

I hate to say it, but I think this guy is trolling for free shit. I felt for him at first,.. but that first request for donations left me feeling "eh"... and the following post just made me angry for feeling bad for him in the first place.

I didn't wanna say it... I REALLY didn't wanna say it.... but many people seem to be "skirting" the issue and are trying to be diplomatic in mentioning emulation... and it's true... unless this guy is running a 386/33MHz with a dial up connection, emulation should NOT be a problem.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here thinking it, but that's what this thread had boiled down to, a guy begging for free game stuff and come on... (to quote South Park's Jimmy "Come On?") are you really going to give in to this?

Maybe "I'M" being the asshole here... I don't mind, I'd rather be the Asshole that questioned something suspicious, rather than be someone standing by while some re-seller get's free merchandise.

• Like 7

Maybe "I'M" being the asshole here... I don't mind, I'd rather be the Asshole that questioned something suspicious, rather than be someone standing by while some re-seller get's free merchandise.

I don't think your out of line at all. Maybe I am just way too jaded from all the times my generosity bit me in the a$$ over the years here at AtariAge, but I don't think so. Nowadays, I reserve my generosity for people whom have established a positive reputation in the community. There is nothing worse than trying to lend a helping hand in a situation like this...only to see your "contribution" on eBay a week or so later. I've had that happen to me before...and in that case, I was even nice enough to ship the shit to the guy for free. Talk about a scammer!

• Like 2

Can you emulate a Hello Kitty bike?

[edit: changed my mind]

Video_Invader, I'm sorry for your loss. I know I too would be devastated by a massive theft. But you really can emulate. It's really easy even on older systems. And newer computers can be as cheap as a few hundred. I know you scored a boxed Turbo and Master System recently, so while you may be short on cash, a new computer that can adequately run emulation programs is hardly pricey. I was emulating PS1 and earlier as early as 2007 tech, 8/16 bit stuff even earlier than that!

• Like 3

One other less mentioned benefit of emulation is that when I'm old and decrepit in a nursing home complaining about the shower schedule; I'll most likely have some sort of access to my emulation collection. Whereas with a real physical collection that isn't going to happen. They're not gonna let you clutter up your room with hundreds of carts and systems.. But they might let you have access to a computer or your kids can bring a laptop around for you to tinker with. Assuming you're not senile and can remember left and right clicks!

I didn't wanna say it... I REALLY didn't wanna say it.... but many people seem to be "skirting" the issue and are trying to be diplomatic in mentioning emulation... and it's true... unless this guy is running a 386/33MHz with a dial up connection, emulation should NOT be a problem.

But you really can emulate. It's really easy even on older systems. And newer computers can be as cheap as a few hundred.

That's right. I was emulating stuff in the 1990's. And on then-contemporary, budget-priced, hardware too! My first PC emulation stuff was on a 486/DX2-50. Microsoft Arcade and Activision Action Packs, or similar. But emulation for me really took off in the Pentium III and Pentium 4 epochs. Thanks to emulation I was lifted out of the dark ages of the late 90's and early 2000's.

Listen, you can get into emulation with last year's e-waste! Totally serious on that!

I hate to say it, but I think this guy is trolling for free shit. I felt for him at first,.. but that first request for donations left me feeling "eh"...

I'm sure I'm not the only one here thinking it, but that's what this thread had boiled down to, a guy begging for free game stuff and come on... (to quote South Park's Jimmy "Come On?") are you really going to give in to this?

I don't think your out of line at all. Maybe I am just way too jaded from all the times my generosity bit me in the a$$ over the years here at AtariAge, but I don't think so. Nowadays, I reserve my generosity for people whom have established a positive reputation in the community. There is nothing worse than trying to lend a helping hand in a situation like this...only to see your "contribution" on eBay a week or so later. I've had that happen to me before...and in that case, I was even nice enough to ship the shit to the guy for free. Talk about a scammer!

That's a tough call. If it's any one thing I really hate it when stuff like this happens. On the other hand, if the OP is BS'ing then he deserves to be taken out to pasture and..

Well, there were a few times me and my wife have helped replace stolen stuff before as part of charity and community stewardship. We just collect the hapless sap and roll into town - visiting the major stores.

I hate to say it, but I think this guy is trolling for free shit. I felt for him at first,.. but that first request for donations left me feeling "eh"... and the following post just made me angry for feeling bad for him in the first place.

Ya the dude is already asking for free systems and games. Sounds like it's time to seek out a ban hammer before some nice person falls for this shit again.

Can anyone help me with some games and a couple of systems? Maybe someone has a bunch of doubles or spare stuff just lying around. I ran across several pics of my old collection. Couldn't have been anyone I know. We never have anyone over and we don't know anyone. Were pretty much hermits. Must have been a random hit. There have been others that were victim to the same.

You have been reported.

• Like 3

I just realized that I've already been discussing emulation with the OP in another thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/237109-nulldc-on-dell-inspiron-n5050what-setting-do-i-use/

He has a capable system and he even mentions familiarity with emulating and a history of doing so.

Edited by goldenegg
  • Like 2