IGNORED

Multi color sprites some problems

So even though im able to create multi color sprites by overlapping player 0 and player 1 i sometimes have some Problems.

Sometimes the pixels for player 1 is in the wrong position sitting one pixel to the right, so that the multicolor sprite looks messed up.

Im not excatly sure whats going on because sometimes the sprites looks ok and other sprites i create sometimes the pixels is out of postion. I belive it has someting to do with a sideway gap. So it seems. There seem to be something here i still not understand fully.

i mean it shouldbe possible to create multi color spirtes when player 0 and player 1 x position is the same or do i have to always have x positon for player 1.. one more pixel to the left ?

Edited by BioFreeze

Positioning shouldn't matter.

All that the multicolor sprite bit in PRIOR does is turn off the cross-priority checks between P0/P1 and P2/P3 in GTIA's priority logic, so both pairs can come on at the same time and the colors OR together.

The sprites are drawn in vblank.. so maybe thats part of the problem. But it seems theres a bug in the Atari Player editor (the one for adobe air). sometimes the data it produces seems wrong.

Is there any good alternatives for that Atari Player editor for windows ?

The sprites are drawn in vblank.. so maybe thats part of the problem. But it seems theres a bug in the Atari Player editor (the one for adobe air). sometimes the data it produces seems wrong.

If you send me one of your sprite designs with the problem I can look at fixing the issue in the editor.

You can also use Graph2Font (http://g2f.atari8.info/) to some extend to create the PMGs (like I did for "Broad's Revenge"). Animation checks can be done by switching the buffer.

Another good but restricted editor (only multi-colour PMG's, limited dimensions, fixed aspect ratio but nice animation features) is the A8 program "Multi Player Animator" by Peter Finzel. If you are an ABBUC member, you can find it in the members area.

Edit: Or here: http://wiki.strotmann.de/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Multi%20Player%20Animator

Edited by Irgendwer

Well maybe sometimes when you flip the player image when using multicolor the OR color doesnt act the same way. i think thats part of the issue. Thank you Playsoft for offering help.

Edited by BioFreeze

This problem is now solved. Thanks to Playsoft for useful info. I was a adress conflict so that some sprite data was overlapping and i had to exhange colors for p0 and p1 using the player editor when drawing the batwings up..

Just want to add that this problem was my own doing due to bad choice of memory adress for the sprite data. The Atari player editor by Playsoft is working great.I would recommend it,

Makes it easier to create multi color sprites or ordinairy player sprites. :)

• Like 1

• 3 years later...