IGNORED

TI-99 PEB Card Differences

TI-GAMER

I was at a fellow TI hobbyist's home today and noticed that he had 2 different types of Expansion cards in his PEB. Some were the common beige cards that I am familiar with but he also had some that were metal with a Silver Color just like the metal on the actual TI itself. They were all TI brand and labeled just like the beige ones. Is there any difference other than the physical exterior case itself and is one preferred over the other?

He also had some gray ones which made sense as they were a different brand. I think Comcor or Compcor or something like that if I remember correctly.

Edited by TI-GAMER
  • Like 1

The difference is only in the case--the card inside is the same. There is a third variety of TI card shell: dark gray plastic with a metal coating inside. Again, only a different case. CorComp cards came with two types of case: the gray ones with a slightly pebbled surface and smooth black ones. Later CorComp cards had no case at all. The Gray ones came first. Myarc used TI metal cases on some of their early cards, and the gray ones later (often spray-painted tan). Atronic (German) used silver aluminum cases, as did Foundation (US). Pretty much everyone else just made cards without cases.

One note: there are several iterations of some of the CorComp cards--with those, you will find a lot of differences between generations of assembled cards (sometimes major).

Edited by Ksarul

He offerred to sell a spare Corcomp Disk Controller to me that I was very interested in as I would like to do a Dual Disk Drive setup. It is in the solid gray case and said 9900 Disk Controller on a sticker. What is a fair value to pay for one of these cards?

Hey Opry99er I noticed your in Denver :)

I am down the road in Manitou Springs at the foot of Pikes Peak if you are familiar with that area.

The floppy drives I was looking at are DSDD and that is what interested me in that card. Do the Corcomp cards sell for around the same price as a regular TI Disk COntroller card?

Actually I recently moved back to Tennessee.... I'm saddened by it, as Colorado is my childhood home.

Manitou Springs is very beautiful, and you are lucky to live there. :) Some good fishing out that way.

Price is determined by the market, to be honest. If no CorComp controller cards pop up for a year, the price will be high. If 3 a month come up, the price will be low, due to the supply versus demand.

I've seen them go cheap, I've also seen them go for a couple hundred bucks...

I'd say keep your eyes open and see what you can see.

I think I sold mine for $75 to a fellow 99er a couple years back... I had two (one gray, one black) and I kept one, sold one.

Good luck. Honestly, if you're concerned primarily with having two disk drives, the TI controller is fine, but (as you know) it does not handle DSDD.

I just opened up my PEB and I am completely baffled by one of the cards in there. It is in a Black Plastic Case and on the top of the sticker it says in White "Texas Instruments" and directly below that in Purple it says "32K x 8 MEMORY EXPANSION" but here is the kicker... The large Flat Black Data Cable that connects the PEB to your TI is connected to the back of this card. Physically on the card engraved or molded in the plasic is the Texas Instruments info with a serial number and the TI Logo. Also on the label it says PHP1260

First I have never seen an actual TI card that is black. Second I have never seen any TI Cards with Purple writing and it looks to be a factory TI label. Third why does a Memory Expansion Card have the connector for the Big Black Data Cable??? LOL

Edited by TI-GAMER

Likely the flex cable interface card (the one with the firehose) had a broken or damaged case. Someone may have replaced the case with one from a 32k mem card.

That said, I don't have any black TI card cases. Ksarul might be able to speak to this more authoritatively than I. (or maybe ANYONE.... for that matter) :)

Yes, I have one PEB-Card with that purple imprints, too.

Old clamshells where sometimes used as housing for other cards, I think because of cooling or isolation-considerations maybe.

(what led further to some shortcurcuit-issues sometimes because of wrong mounting, so be & look careful if opening clamshells :)

You can also mod/update your TI-FloppyController with 80track-abilities. see arcadeshopper.com

here http://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/?page_id=11#!/Hummingbird-Eeprom/p/33994194/category=12497083

Ralf

There are a few compatibility issues with the CorComp RS-232 and the TI one. Of the two, the TI is the better choice--but that said, the CorComp works perfectly for about 98% of all of the things you would want to use a serial card for, so the difference is very small.

So I now understand the differences between the Corcomp and the TI Disk Controller. Is there any difference between the Corcomp and TI RS232 cards? Is one preferred over the other as I have access to both.

I preferred the corcomp in the past, but that changed when the HDX mod became available for the TI card..

Greg